The Holy Grail

Helmling

Philosopher King
Sorry, this is NOT a story.

I thought about trying to write a story about the game I want to share with you, but there wouldn't be anything interesting happening, just a long string of building, building, building. Even more so than last time.

But I've got to tell someone about this game.

So, many of you know that I am a Utopian builder who really, really likes to play as Greece. I've had this one idea in my head for a long time: what if I could get all the Greek world wonders in one game...even better, in one city.

That may not sound too hard on Emperor difficulty, but I play with 22 competitors so that's a lot of AIs with resource advantages vying for early wonders. Also, I have a very liberal definition of "Greek" world wonders. Temple of Artemis, obviously. Parthenon, duh. Statue of Zues, sure. Even though they're in Alexandria, I also include the Great Lighthouse and Great Library. Mausoleum? Well, Greek architects, so yeah...it's a lot of wonders.

So earlier this month, I got this start.

At first, it didn't look like a great contender for my holy grail. Hell, there's not even any marble. But post-BNW, never underestimate the power of salt.

Now, I wish I could say that I did this iron man, but it did require some additional save/loading to get the timing just right and nab them all, but with some fortuitous ruins and an early Monument to the Gods pantheon, I built all of these:

Colosus
Great Library
Great Lighthouse
Mausoleum
Oracle
Parthenon
Statue of Zeus (which required adopting a policy I didn't want all for a wonder whose effects I had no intention of using)
Temple of Artemis

Glorious holy grail!!!

But it didn't end there. I was on a wonder-building spree, so I went ahead and built:

Pyramids
Petra
Hanging Gardens
Hagia Sophia
Taj Mahal
Statue of Liberty
Syndey Opera House
Porcelain Tower
Pentagon
Neuschwanstein
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Space Station
Hubble
Firewall
Forbidden Palace
Cristo Redentor
CN Tower
and Broadway

And ended up with a city that looked like this:

The only thing that could've gone better would be snagging my own religion. Even with Hagia Sophia, they were all gone by the time I'd built my Greek wonders, but with so many accumulated wonder effects, I hardly missed having my own faith.

There's pretty much nothing left for me in Civ 5 now. (Which is not to say that I don't constantly want to play anyway.) I need to move on...to Civ BE! No, just kidding. Mercifully, the Mac version's not out yet so I have a slim hope of being able to focus on my current novel before my horrid addiction to Civ kicks back in again.

:dubious: That's incredible.

*Covets wonders that you built*

It goes to show how mental I am that I saw the title and the first thing that popped into my head was "We're Knights of the Round Table, we dance when'er we're able..."

But, like with Heerlo, I now have the Covets Wonders You Built modifier...

You know, Helmling has become a nuisance. I seek allies. Can I count on your support?

You know, Helmling has become a nuisance. I seek allies. Can I count on your support?

Sorry, we have no interest in this arrangement.

But I still cove those wonders. :mischief:

Edit: Sorry, accidental double-post.

Your suggestion interests us, but we are not quite ready. Give us 10 turns to prepare.

Yeah, this is the best forum on CivFanatics. Or Paradox Plaza. Or just in general.

Helmling, our spies have uncovered that The Majah and Silverman6083 are plotting against you. We hope that you will share any intrigue you discover with us.

I need to move on...to Civ BE! No, just kidding. Mercifully, the Mac version's not out yet so I have a slim hope of being able to focus on my current novel before my horrid addiction to Civ kicks back in again.

And after that will come Philosopher Kings! In! SPPAAAACE!

(But seriously, hope the novel writing goes well).

Top Bottom