Installing PTW - any (negative or other) effects on single player games ?

hodepute

Chieftain
Just curious whether should install or not, if new bugs etc will show up when playing single player. Or any (intended) single player non-scenario gameplay changes, ?
(Bought a bundled version, and am not planning on MP for a while, so still in plastic wrapping...)

thx

Download the latest patch if your American. It wont work with other versions.

Good catch, WF. :goodjob: --Padma

The worst is the AI intel. They are so stupid it is rediculous. Be careful with them.

If they are so stupid and rediculous, than why should be careful with them? :crazyeye:

Thanks Padma :)

I can't think of anything drastic. Barbarians act differently in PTW than they do in normal Civ 3 and the Embassy and Espionage screens from Civ3 got merged into one all-singing, all-dancing, combined screen that is incredibly confusing unless you play around with it for a bit. And Wall St. no longer happens when you build five banks, you now have to build five stock exchanges (available with The Corporation). That's about it for the subtle changes, the rest of the changes are pretty obvious and are listed in the manual.

Thanks for the replies. I guess there of course is some more info in the manual or readme, but I just didn't want to unwrap the thing quite yet... (If a total disaster, I might have sold it or traded for something)
So, no new bugs then if playing plain singleplayer ?
And is the AI really smarter now, hmm...... :?
Euro version, yes, so waiting for new patch seems unevitable.

But anyways, I think I'll finish some more vanilla's(1.29f) before any potential install... :)

Go for it - it is a much better single player game than 1.29 and worth it in my view. New civs, new UU's and lots more.
Outside the US you can upgrade to 1.14 - I for one would not want to go back to the old Civ1.29
However, once you install it, you can still play 1.29 if you want - it does not overwrite it.

:viking: :viking: :viking: :viking: :viking:

Actually, I have the impression of leaders appearing less often in PTW than in plain CivIII. I play a rather defensive style, but nevertheless I generate 2 to 3 leaders in an average game and also the AI does. In PTW I´m through with several games but still have never received one... maybe they are all scared to death by the savage kelts and vikings!

Civ long and prosper!

King Gote

Originally posted by Mega Tsunami
Go for it - it is a much better single player game than 1.29 and worth it in my view. New civs, new UU's and lots more.
Outside the US you can upgrade to 1.14 - I for one would not want to go back to the old Civ1.29
However, once you install it, you can still play 1.29 if you want - it does not overwrite it.

I agree. I've been playing PTW in single player mode since it was released. The 1.14 patch fixed a lot of bugs, so go ahead and play with that.

The PTW 1.21 patch mostly fixes multi-player bugs. The major bug it fixed for me in single-player mode was the interminable slowness of the military advisor screen when you needed to scroll down the screen to see more units/cities. (It's still slow when you've built huge numbers of units late in the game, but much faster than before the 1.21 patch!)

Well, now its done, BUT.....
The CD is not recognized if trying to load the game!

Applied patch 1.14f, the English Euro version (10.2mb) to a scandinavian(?) version disk/install.
Probably a SafeDisk issue ? But the message now comes in FRENCH ?!? (missing CD etc).

Got a less than year old Plextor 40x burner, which may be the problem...(SafeDisk?)

But plain Civ works just fine, even though I had to redo all the settings after PTW install :(

Now what.....?

Top Bottom