Requests for new components (and features)

I would even disable the main screen messages and just have the message log if that option were possible.
I think that you can do that with the standard un-modded game in the ini file ...

; Set to 1 for no on-screen event messages
;NoEventMessages = 1
NoEventMessages = 0

Not sure if this also turns off the messages to the log.

Heh, the options screen of this mod is maybe its biggest miracle.

Thanks. I highly value configurability in software I use, so I made it a priority to take Ruff's original options screen code and make it easily extensible. Adding new options takes very little code (a few lines now), and I am thinking this might be a nice chunk to rip out and make a separate piece for other mod developers.

It might be nice to have a single colour per type of message as it would allow you to check the messages by type each turn.

My thought is to have one overall option that determines whether each message has multiple colors as I described above or a single color. Then each alert will have a configurable base color.

Thanks. I highly value configurability in software I use, so I made it a priority to take Ruff's original options screen code and make it easily extensible. Adding new options takes very little code (a few lines now), and I am thinking this might be a nice chunk to rip out and make a separate piece for other mod developers.
That would be a nice addition to the community. I certainly value the ease of adding an option. If (when) you do this, be sure to post an alert in the mod thread so that it is posted on the first page of CFC.

I think that you can do that with the standard un-modded game in the ini file ...

; Set to 1 for no on-screen event messages
;NoEventMessages = 1
NoEventMessages = 0

Not sure if this also turns off the messages to the log.

Thanks, that worked. I never noticed that they added this option to the ini-file in BTS.

However, when a new turn starts, you still get the auditory cues that something happened which is a bit too weird for me as the sounds aren't clearly related to an on-screen events anymore. So I guess that I stay with the on-screen event messages. But still thanks for the help.

I could imagine that some modders would like that. Maybe a mod like Dale's combat mod could benefit from that. Although I haven't actually used it, I know that you can change some elements of that mod. But I don't really know that mod, so maybe those options have to be chosen before you start a game.

My thought is to have one overall option that determines whether each message has multiple colors as I described above or a single color. Then each alert will have a configurable base color.

That sounds like 2 well-chosen options.

Would it be doable to update the Sevopedia to include the "Replaced by" line for buildings?

In BtS, Firaxis added a feature to the civilopedia for unique units, when you click on the normal unit "e.g. Musketman", it says replaced by Musketeer, Janissary, and Oromo Warrior"

However, they did not carry this feature through to the unique buildings. Could this be easily added? I think it would come in handy.

Also, lest I come off as an ingrate, thank you BUG team for your hard work put into this mod, it is one of my favorites and I'm glad to see it in active development again.

Cheers,
ripple01

What's PLE?

PLE is the Plot List Enhancements mod. The Plot List is the group of unit icons that appears on the map (bottom center) when you have one or more units selected. The full version of PLE adds small icons between the list and the action buttons (Disband, Hold, Go To, Upgrade, etc) that allow you to filter the Plot List by various criteria.

For example, click the "LAND" button to remove all land-based units from the view. Click the "CAN MOVE" button to remove units with movement points left. The buttons are icons rather than names, and they work as a negative (filter out), causing confusion for some people.

PLE also provided multiple organization styles to the Plot List. It would allow you to specify ways of grouping the buttons, e.g. one unit type per column or row.

I wonder if its possible to add a few more religious options to the CDA?
[TEMPLE_TOTAL]
[MONASTARY_TOTAL]
[SHRINE_TOTAL] the building that adds +50% Culture
[HOLY_GOLD_TOTAL] the prophets building

I find when making my own screens in the CDA it would be much more useful to know how many of a "type" of religious building a city has, than which specific religious building it has built.

I wish Firaxis had done this internally, and defined the 4 types, with the various religions just getting their own Art/Custom Name. Would of made the Civlopaedia much cleaerer.

Also, while on religions, add [<RELIGION_NAME>_HOLY_CITY], which - if you can see that city in world view then you can see the info in the CDA. Would enable you to have a list of which city/civ is the holy city of that religion.

Also I vote for increasing the ICON size used for the buildings etc in the CDA to the size you see in the City Screen... if a particular CDA window has more icons than can fit horizontally - then a scroll bar could be used.
I find the Icons to be almost too small to be of any use. Or if that could be an option to set.

Adding columns for the number of Temples, Cathedrals, Monasteries and Holy Shrines a city has, regardless of religion, is a reasonable suggestion.

BTW, please add feature requests to the tracker as well as posting them for discussion. We love suggestions, and we're more likely to do the ones listed in the tracker. :)

Add [<RELIGION_NAME>_HOLY_CITY], which - if you can see that city in world view then you can see the info in the CDA. Would enable you to have a list of which city/civ is the holy city of that religion.

I don't think I understand. The list of each religion along with their holy cities (when you know them) is already on the Religion Advisor. How would this fit into the CDA? Do you mean you should have all the info the CDA shows for all holy cities, even foreign-owned?

If a particular CDA window has more icons than can fit horizontally - then a scroll bar could be used.

Sadly, Civ4's list control doesn't support horizontal scrolling. :(

ReligionNAME_HOLY_CITY...
I guess when I think about it more, all I'm really interested in - would be to add the number of cities a religion has spread to beside it's percentage.

Horizontal Scrolling...
Does the Civlopaedia use different controls? It uses horizontal bars for displaying Religious Buildings and a few others.

(Requests added to Sourceforge) :)

The scrolling box on the Civilopedia is not a table control with rows and columns. Instead, it's just a scrolling canvas with buttons in it. It may seem like a trivial distinction, but that's how Firaxis coded the game engine. There are ways to simulate scrolling, but it's just easier to group the columns into pages like "Military Buildings" and "Religious Buildings".

I think the number of cities each religion has would make sense on the Religion Advisor screen, but I'm not sure we can get good info. The game code would let me determine exactly how many cities each religion is in, but I don't think it will let me know how many cities the player would know about. For example, if you see a city doesn't have Taoism, but then move away so the city enters your fog of war, unless Taoism is your state religion, you won't know it spreads to the city later.

I'll update the tracker item once I've checked out the API. Thanks for entering them into the tracker.

No, not what cities the religion has spread to, just the number of cities...
ie, if there are 50 cities in game, and Taoism is 18%
We'd see
Code:
Taoism          Confucianism
9 cities (18%)  3 cities (6%)
The advisor already tells us the percentage, but it is very abstract when looking at say 28% and 18% what that 10% difference actually means.

I understand that you want the # of cities and not which individual cities. My point is that AFAIK the only way to know now how many cities Taoism has spread to is to scan the whole map by sight and count the cities with Taoism. But since your view of the map is partially obscured by the fog of war, it's not fair to report the actual number of cities.

The same argument applies using the percentage. Without seeing the whole map, you don't know the total number of cities world-wide. And thus, it leaks hidden information to report the value.

Now, I'm not very familiar with this part of the game, so please point out if I'm wrong about something not being provided by the basic game and where I can find that info.

Well if you count your cities, divide that number by your percentage you now know how many cities are in the game ;)
In my Warlords game I have 15 cities, 14 have Taoism (19%); has spread to 7 other cities, for 21. 21/0.19 = 110.5, manual count of cities is only 77 (62+15)
Which doesn't add up; percentage apparently is not calculated how I thought.
Apparently since I am the only Civ that has Taoism as a state religion only my cities count towards the percentage. 14/0.19 = 73...
Cyrus has Christianity (14%) in 9 of his 10 cities; 9/77 is 12%... (it has spread to 9 other cities incl 2 of mine; 18/77 = 23%, no dice.
Wang Kun founded Buddism (12%), in 8 of his cities + 2 others, 10/77 = 12%
Wang Kun professes Buddism, no one else does. He also has Islam in 2 cities, which has 2% ...
So I guess the percentages are actually meaningless. They don't even match up with number of cities that profess the religion out of the world. Nor do they match up with the number of cities that the religion has spread to in the world.

So I suppose, technically it is "game information", I just don't see how that is relevant.
The game blatantly tells you what tech's the other civs have and what resources. Just by clicking on a CIV in the normal Foreign Advisor, the Resources/Techs you have - that they have, are removed from your trade list. Then it also shows you what they 'wont trade' and what they will trade - that you don't have.

It might as well just show each CIV and the tech's they have in the tech tree ;)

That is all "abusable" information that you shouldn't know at all.

Religion spread to X cities would just be "fun" to know.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have contact with a civ with a religion, to know about that religion, and how much of the world it has. The problem I see with it though is that the percentage that is shown is actually based on population, not cities, so like EF said, it would give hiden information to pull the number of cities. as opposed to just how much of the world population, which for some reason you always know, is that religion.

The problem I see with it though is that the percentage.

That's my guess as well. It could be the reason that the percentages don't quite align with the number of cities.

Regarding your tech example, the game gives you this information, so BUG isn't revealing anything new. It makes sense that the game tells you which techs the AIs can trade to you, otherwise trying to guess trade deals would get old fast.

BTW, it doesn't show you all techs the AIs have. Any techs that the AI has that you cannot research yourself are hidden from the screen. For example, if an AI has Iron Working but you don't yet have Bronze Working, you won't see that they have IW because you cannot research it.

Ahh population based. Now that you mention that I recall reading that at some point. I don't know why I started thinking it was city spread.
Ah well good debate. Brief. I hate being wrong :satan:

Good indeed. It does get me thinking though that some way to help owners of a Holy Shrine would be nice. When you get a lot of cities and religions, it can be annoying checking F7 to make sure you've hit all your cities. It's even worse trying to hit all AI cities.

If you can think of a way that doesn't give away information, I'm all ears. Keep in mind that you can actually see how many cities each known AI has via the trade interface, even when you've never seen that city or where it is on the map.

I'll ponder. I have one ongoing game I'll be getting back to in BTS, where I have more cities than will fit in the Religious Advisor page (I get a vertical scroll bar). Was offered a quest to found 14 (12-14...) island cities. Wow they grow slow :) Had to keep whipping them to build anything heh.

I spammed my religion like crazy after getting Saladin to capitulate (nothing quite like airlifting in missionaries hehe). There was something oddly pleasing about making him switch religion after he kept going on holy wars against me :king:

Top Bottom