BAT Errata

@binhthuy71 - For some reason BAT cannot find its mod folder. Create a new text file in BAT's Assets/Python folder named "CvModFolder.py". Make sure you remove the ".txt" suffix if it has one. It should contain this line:

Code:
modFolder = "BAT Mod 3.0"

The name inside the quotes must match the name of BAT's folder exactly. If that doesn't clear up the problem, post the new PythonDbg.log file and any non-empty PythonErr.log file.

@EmperorFool = Created the .py per your instructions in post #182: the "Bug Options - cannot locate settings folder" still occurs.

Attached .zip contains the log files you requested and a copy of the "CvModFolder.py" I created just to make certain that I did it correctly.

Attachments

• PythonDbg.zip
    74.1 KB · Views: 152
@Lemon Merchant - uninstalled/reinstalled BAT Mod 3.0. I verified that it was back to its original behavior by opening games with three of the civs that didn't work and three of those that did. Applied your fix and retested using the same method: the fix works.

I'm still getting the "Bug Options - cannot locate settings folder" in all cases but, that is anther issue.

Side Note: In the course of starting a few dozen games to test/verify behaviors and fixes I have had some killer starts. Because I was testing for only three turns each game I had to close without saving in order to get on with the testing. I coulda' won those games easily on any level! No, really.

With Lemon's fix I don't think any more messing around is needed. Amazing catch by Lemon and Binhthuy, I think you pin-pointed the bad behavior trying all the different leaders.

Side Note: In the course of starting a few dozen games to test/verify behaviors and fixes I have had some killer starts. Because I was testing for only three turns each game I had to close without saving in order to get on with the testing. I coulda' won those games easily on any level! No, really.

Not sure how you can say you would win after 3 turns? ; But it does put that bee in my bonnet about getting better AI integrated into BAT, yes, as an option to satisfy "Unaltered Game Play", but, you see, pretty much every major mod already has it as a default, so as an option in BAT would be oh so nice.

Now, you could say 'forget BAT', and I'll go play the PIG Mod but then you lose a lot of graphics and Lemon's 'cool new stuff'.

I went so far as to download WinMerge and MS Visual C++ modding tools to try my hand but that may be just wishful thinking on my part.

Not sure how you can say you would win after 3 turns?
LOL! There's more truth than poetry in my sig. Although I've played Civ since it came out in 1991 I have never risen above "mediocre" as a player.

Better AI would be a fun option all right. After trying the Civ V demo I'm staying with IV so any mod that improves gameplay (Even if it's to my detriment) is cool.

Curiouser and curiouser: I figured that the "Bug Options - cannot locate settings folder" behavior was just something that I'd have to live with. Just now I opened Civ and then Load a Mod (Bat Mod 3.0, of course!) then I started a custom game and the "Bug options" behavior is gone. I'll do some more testing later and try to identify why this is happening. I'm going to just play for a bit first.

With Lemon's fix I don't think any more messing around is needed. Amazing catch by Lemon and Binhthuy, I think you pin-pointed the bad behavior trying all the different leaders.
Bihnthuy gets all of the credit on this one. :)

He got me looking in the right direction. I always play with random leaders/civs, and believe it or not, the problem never happened during final testing. When I was merging things into the build folder, I wound up missing a file. I did a folder by folder compare with BAT 2.3 and found it.

So, a big thanks to Bihnthuy for saving the day. :worship: I'll re-upload the repaired release tomorrow. If you already have 3.0, there is no reason to download again if you've applied that little patch.

Not sure how you can say you would win after 3 turns? ; But it does put that bee in my bonnet about getting better AI integrated into BAT, yes, as an option to satisfy "Unaltered Game Play", but, you see, pretty much every major mod already has it as a default, so as an option in BAT would be oh so nice.

Now, you could say 'forget BAT', and I'll go play the PIG Mod but then you lose a lot of graphics and Lemon's 'cool new stuff'.

I went so far as to download WinMerge and MS Visual C++ modding tools to try my hand but that may be just wishful thinking on my part.
I know, I know, double post...

I wanted to address this separately. I'm perfectly ok with putting together an optional Better-BAT if there is a demand. It will be an option during the install, as EF suggested. I'm going to wait until EF has the new UP merged into BULL before I start, though.

I also want to say thank you to you, Entwood, for all of the creative griping suggestions ( :p ) you've posted in this thread lately. You've given me a number of good ideas that I think that I can implement, and make BAT even better. :D

Lemon, take a look at this mini-mod, Better Water. I don't know if you would like it, but for graphics, I sort of think it makes water look better. Maybe a little embellishment to BAT if you want to check it out. It looks better in-game than in the screen shots. Avain seemed to like it, and you get a little diversity from good old Blue Marble.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=373869

So, a big thanks to Bihnthuy for saving the day.

Thank you, Lemon Merchant, for maintaining this thing. Thanks to entwood and EmperorFool for your help walking me through the things I still don't understand.

The testing was not a big deal: I just built a new box with an AMD 1060T 3.2GHz six core and all of the other goodies so I can get a game started about as fast as I can click through the options. It was nice to be of some small help to you all. :)

Nice. I'm just starting to research the parts for a new box. Civ5 takes so horribly long just to load compared to Civ4, I can't imagine trying to mod it.

Further to this, strangely, I've found that Alt-J brings up the Bug options screen, as well as Cntl-Alt-O Most intriguing.

Tried a few other options, still get same errors...

Maybe it needs Bull 1.3...maybe??? but Nah....really I don't even think that.

Alt + J is still in there?!? That is a Legacy from BUG beta... I remember when me, EF, and Ruff were talking about changing the option button, and Ruff wanted Alt + J because he was used to it from Jray's Mod, so we decided to keep both Alt + J plus A+C+O. Very cool it's still in there.:)

Nice. I'm just starting to research the parts for a new box. Civ5 takes so horribly long just to load compared to Civ4, I can't imagine trying to mod it.

My only regret is that I didn't plunk for a solid state Boot drive. I'm going to remedy that next month. An SSD with enough room for my OS, Blender and Civ IV will make it all complete.

I got an SSD to check out (250GB which would be fine for booting), but I'm hesitant to use it for the O/S. It would obviously be a lot faster. I'm tempted to use it instead for Steam so that if it fails I can just download the games again without any loss.

Not all SSD's are created equal. The MTBF on top-quality SSD's is pretty high all right, the catch is that there's a limit to the number of writes (But, not the number of reads) to any particular block. High end drives are now able to sustain 1,000,000 writes per block while the older, lower end ones are down around 300,000 writes. Most of your OS files aren't going to ever require anywhere near that number of writes so you're safe (And really fast) if you put them on the SSD.

I got an SSD to check out (250GB which would be fine for booting), but I'm hesitant to use it for the O/S. It would obviously be a lot faster. I'm tempted to use it instead for Steam so that if it fails I can just download the games again without any loss.
With my new SSD. my machine boots in 15 seconds. :p

An SSD is the best place for an OS, but put your user folders on a spinning drive. Less writes that way. :)

I just want to put in my payment for Lemon Merchant services, Thank you :thanx: and Gratitude for your efforts.

Small error, that was VERY QUICKLY rectified. Thanks to all your able assistants as well.

Maybe I was "lucky" in hitting that error, as I play random leaders, and hit it 1st time.

Thanks for your effort, and I'll pay you double overtime, Thanks, Thanks, and Gratitude.

*Blows Internet kiss on cheek*

I just want to put in my payment for Lemon Merchant services, Thank you :thankyou: and Gratitude for your efforts.

Small error, that was VERY QUICKLY rectified. Thanks to all your able assistants as well.

Maybe I was "lucky" in hitting that error, as I play random leaders, and hit it 1st time.

Thanks for your effort, and I'll pay you double overtime, Thanks, Thanks, and Gratitude.

*Blows Internet kiss on cheek*
You're welcome. :)

I uploaded the new BAT release this evening, and it should be available on SourceForge by morning. This is a new build, with a new version number, but if you have applied the patch there isn't any need to re-download. There are only changes to a couple of XML files. They don't affect the game, I just did some clean-up.

Top Bottom