Quick Game 10 - spoiler thread

Theoden

Deity
GOTM Staff
This is the spoiler thread for the Quick Game 10. To qualify for this spoiler you must have played and submitted your game.

Did you switch governments? Was there any wars? How did your economy handle all the workers?

this was my first submission and I found it quite fun. I never switched governments - after awhile, I just set research to 10%.

No wars - aztecs asked for tribute once, which I happily paid. Had to run from some barbarians a couple of times.

Basically, set up paris as a 4-turn settler/2 turn worker and started cranking them. DId MM very well, so probably missed a couple of workers. And probably sent out too many other cities, but they may have helped keep aggression down. I made some warriors and archers and 27 workers, but that's about it.

I ended up with 60 workers and 2 warriors - I couldn´t disband those to squeeze out another worker, like I did with the others I had. Near the deadline I also poprushed some workers, as I did with settlers in the beginning.

Luckily I found a settler in a hut in 3300BC, other huts gave: barbs, maps, barbs, maps, barbs, barbs and... barbs. Not very profitable for a Monarch game, but the settler sure made my day.

Altogether 7 towns were founded, preferably in food-rich places. The three fp-wheats down SW each got a town. No revolution took place.

I really enjoyed the Quickgame, thanks a lot to Theoden and Rik! :goodjob:

Twenty-five workers for me. I would have had 26 if I remembered to disband. I researched pottery, then the wheel, then I realized that I didn't need to research in this game and turned it off forever. Monty demanded gold once (thanks for that neighbor, Rik!) which I paid. Four cities were founded, one north of Paris, and two southwest by the wheats.

All in all, an enjoyable game!

Only 37 workers here. A fun quick game with a lot of mistakes.

Paris was a 4 turn settler factory to get towns set up near all the FP and wheat and luxes I could reach - 9 Towns altogether.

I went for, and achieved, the Philo/Republic slingshot in order to maximise food and to use all the river gold for cash rushing, and revolted in four turns. Then in the wee small hours of a just-one-more-turn morning the Aztecs demanded Republic. My war mongering instincts took over, I declined and they declared. That threw in a small glitch, specially when I let them too near one of my towns and they razed it. I made peace a little while later, and got some cash and a tech in exchange for Republic. With my high early tech pace I was also able to clean out my other neighbours' treasuries.

Republic was probably not the right choice in retrospect as I had to leave the final build-up of workers to the last minute to avoid lots of turns at high unit cost.

I too forgot to disband warriors at the end, and could have had a couple more workers if I'd thought of it. In 1025 BC Paris still had pop 3, I was broke from the cash rushing and the high unit maintenance costs. The warriors were all too far away to get me the one extra shield I needed to make another worker in Paris. I also lost one worker (and Paris' granary) when I went bankrupt on the last turn.

So I live and learn. An interesting challenge. I'm sure I could have done much better, but I just went at it the same as a normal game to start with, and didn't spent enough time working out the critical success factors.

Thanks Rik and Theoden :goodjob:

Attachments

• QG.jpg
    QG.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 347
First Quickie for me. Was fun but took much longer (2 hours) than I expected.

I did not scout at all, but had a granary first (in 3100). 4-turn-Settler factory was going in 2550.
I figured I could get to Republic for more food fast enough.
Went for the Slingshot and got it in 1550. 1525 we were Republic and had ~6 2-turn-worker-factories.
And then I discovered all those floodplains... :mad: :lol: :wallbash: :crazyeye:

1050 Barb horseman attacks my undefended workers. Kills ~7 of them before he pillages Avignon... :cry:

The end: in 1000 BC we have 41 workers.
If I had expanded as usual with this land around I should have had a hundred... :( :mischief:

Maybe I didn't expand enough...I just ended up with 4 cities, 25 workers. I didn't even beat RegentMan. :p

This was fun, even though I know I won't win. Really showed the power of workers.

25 workers and way too many cities.

One major setback was in the beginning, when Aztec warrior popped a hut nearby, releasing 2 warriors, who plundered granary in my capital with 2 turns left to finish..

I established 4-turner rather late because of this, in about 2000BC, and built mostly settlers. I should have switched to workers earlier.

Also I went for Republic slingshot and got it in 1475BC, and revolted with just 2 turns of anarchy, and after that stopped research. If not for that, I would have even less workers. I cash-rushed a lot of them plus there was more food.

Paul#42 said:
First Quickie for me. Was fun but took much longer (2 hours) than I expected.
I'm glad you had fun; that was my goal.
Paul#42 said:
I did not scout at all, but had a granary first (in 3100). 4-turn-Settler factory was going in 2550.
I figured I could get to Republic for more food fast enough.
Went for the Slingshot and got it in 1550. 1525 we were Republic and had ~6 2-turn-worker-factories.
And then I discovered all those floodplains... :mad: :lol: :wallbash: :crazyeye:
That's too late to profit from the extra food....
Paul#42 said:
1050 Barb horseman attacks my undefended workers. Kills ~7 of them before he pillages Avignon... :cry:
That must have hurt...
Paul#42 said:
The end: in 1000 BC we have 41 workers.
If I had expanded as usual with this land around I should have had a hundred... :( :mischief:
But if the lands around were bad, your tactic would be superior on such a map.

Ginger_Ale said:
Maybe I didn't expand enough...I just ended up with 4 cities, 25 workers. I didn't even beat RegentMan. :p
Not even beating Regentman????? :eek:
Ginger_Ale said:
This was fun, even though I know I won't win. Really showed the power of workers.
Glad you liked it.
Nata said:
25 workers and way too many cities.

One major setback was in the beginning, when Aztec warrior popped a hut nearby, releasing 2 warriors, who plundered granary in my capital with 2 turns left to finish..
That really really must have hurt.
Nata said:
I established 4-turner rather late because of this, in about 2000BC, and built mostly settlers. I should have switched to workers earlier.

Also I went for Republic slingshot and got it in 1475BC, and revolted with just 2 turns of anarchy, and after that stopped research. If not for that, I would have even less workers. I cash-rushed a lot of them plus there was more food.
I'm not sure if Republic was beter than no-republic. research costs money which could be used for upkeep cost. OTOH the increased food under Republic might tip the balance. But only if you get a short anarchy. :)

Rik Meleet said:
I'm not sure if Republic was beter than no-republic. research costs money which could be used for upkeep cost. OTOH the increased food under Republic might tip the balance. But only if you get a short anarchy. :)

Rik Meleet said:
That's too late to profit from the extra food....

It's not too late, you will still profit enough from that - but with the unit support, monarchy would have been much better!
I will try to replay it with a monarchy slingshot, some (~20) combat units and ~10 cities in best sites. I bet I can get >80 workers by that strategy.

Some military is usefull, too. At my best time I had two warriors but disbanded them when I was about to pop a hut... :blush:
Guess what happened: I popped a warrior :crazyeye:

The extra food once out of Despotism was huge. Paris became a one turn worker factory, and if I had planned things properly I think I could have had at least one more. I had a 4-turn anarchy, but that still gave 15-20 turns of extra food. But I agree with Paul#42, Monarchy might have been a better switch. Unit maintenance was killing me at the end.

Ouch! What's with all the RegentMan-slings? Just because Ginger_Ale tied with me doesn't mean anything. Although that's pretty cool, exactly the same number of workers and cities. Great admins think alike, no? ;)

I think y'all are just jealous. My handsome, rugged looks are surperior to everyone else's, so you all needed to beat me some other way. It's okay; I'm used to it... :p ;)

This was my first quick game and while i had a lot of fun, i made a few too many mistakes early. By the time i got the workers pouring out of my cities the 80 turns was up and i had only 20 workers. I thought that building a few granaries would help but in hindsight i think i wasted more time in building them then i got benifit out of them. All in all i enjoyed it and i cant wait for the next one.

I had 32 workers. I only built 3 cities. I prolly should have built more cities, but I was scared of defending them with the Aztecs nearby.

I only had granaries in 2 cities since my second city was stupidly placed in the mountains to the SE of paris

I could have had one more but I forgot to trade for a slave 1 turn earlier when I was disbanding the troops to get the last pop out of the cities. I had just enough movement to get to Lyons in the north in 1025 so I couldn't add him. :(

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 292
That was a real fun game. I was surprised how many workers can be built before 1000 BC. I built 5 more cities each near a floodplain with wheat.
I only researched pottery then shut down research and saved money for the unit upkeep.
Paris was the only city with a granary and built after some early warriors a granary settlers and then 2 turn workers.
All other cities became 4 turn worker pumps.

Reached 54 workers in 1000 BC

Twonky said:
I ended up with 60 workers and 2 warriors - I couldn´t disband those to squeeze out another worker, like I did with the others I had. Near the deadline I also poprushed some workers, as I did with settlers in the beginning.:

Congratulations. That's six more than I have. :goodjob:
I completely missed the poprush

I replayed it with monarchy slingshot and knowledge that food-rich land is around.

I popped a settler and like three techs from huts, met all but one rival civ, became tech broker and nearly reached MA :eek:, founded ~10-12 towns.

I started poprushing some granaries which caused some delay in research early.

But in the end after 500 years of monarchy I only came up with 56 workers. Maybe I was not focused enough, there seemed to be room for improvement as I saw too many unworked food tiles near towns of size 1. Sometimes I am too impatient with building workers & settlers :rolleyes:

So Twonky's result is even more impressive to me. :thumbsup:

I must say I am a bit surprised with this, Paul#42 - and a little flattered too. I was rather conviced that my early extra-settler (who founded Orleans in 3100bc by those fp-wheats) was mainly responsible for my high worker-count.
Here is my setup, in 1000bc:

Maybe the switching of governments didn´t pay out in the end? After all, the towns by the fp-wheat grew faster than they shrinked due to worker builds in despotism already. How many turns did you miss due to anarchy?
Did you remember to disband your military near the end to use these extra-shields?
In hindsight, I would say with a 4-turn settler factory at hand it is profitable to build a further town as long as it will have produced more than 2 workers by 1000bc as this is what Paris could do alternatively. :hmm:

Whatever floats your boat, Rik :) I'm just enjoying being able to play C3C with the rest of you, finally :bounce:

Top Bottom