Things I learned about the science of warfare through Civilization IV

291. The world is actually a cylinder. Well sometimes it can be flat too. Or maybe even a plane that infinitely repeats in both axis.

292. A 9 ton Higgin's Boat with it's machine gun can lay waste to a 900 ton Frigate with 36 cannons.

293. A steel & glass building (Scotland Yard) can be built centuries before steel and glass are even invented.

294. The shortest way between two points is a straight line, or two 45 degree lines.

295. Musketmen's quantum bullets simply phase through 10 foot thick stone walls, completely negating their protective ability. But wait, Macemen can still avoid getting targeted due to the huge wall obscuring the gunpowder guy view right? Oh wait no, Musketmen have X-Ray goggles too. Damn it!

296. Catapults, Trebuchets, and Artillery, having no apparent crew to operate them, are surmised to be either robots or horribly misfigured animals.

291. The world is actually a cylinder. Well sometimes it can be flat too. Or maybe even a plane that infinitely repeats in both axis.

Actually, the toroidal maps are "donut shaped". It takes a while to wrap your mind around that though.

Harry_Potter52 said:
297) No military ship was ever lost to a storm at sea. (no... not even with random events)
#299 The Bermuda Triangle, appearing anywhere, is #1 cause of sunk ships.

#300 Wild animals are scared of singing but not of big, shiny axemen and chariots.

#301 A small tower of stone (called Monument) creates lyrics, books, etc out of nothing.

302. Even before you domesticate/hook up horses, you can hear horse sounds in your cities. I guess horses must be pretty loud animals. :p

293. A steel & glass building (Scotland Yard) can be built centuries before steel and glass are even invented.
Glass? What is that? :confused: The lenses of our Observatories ( and the windows of scotland yard, I suppose... ) are made of ice ( there are no diamonds or other lens apropriate material as well in game besides ice ) :lol:

304 - Rather than fight back with their axes, pitchforks and shovels, workers will surrender unconditionally to men wielding clubs.

305 - Ships that lose some of their men in an attack will develop black spots on their sails. This is because the reduced crew can no longer keep up with maintaining the ship.

304 - Rather than fight back with their axes, pitchforks and shovels, workers will surrender unconditionally to men wielding clubs.

Ofcourse they'll surrender! The warriors are wearing loincloth! Who knows what they are capable of doing?!:lol:

306) Citizens never heard Churchill's "we will fight in the streets, beaches etc."They give themselves up the moment any military unit walks into town.
307) When any sort of city is conquered, the first thing the conqueror's do is burn all paintings, books, sculptures, songs from their earlier masters. Ever heard of art protection?
308) The Quantum theory is proved. If you are building a World Wondre and finish it before someone else then the other wonder will automatically stop getting built no matter the distance. Stuff like spin of particle and anti-particle.

309) It does not require knowledge of Chemistry to know that a giant ship filled with helium is lighter than air. It just requires knowledge of physics

310) Religions are automatically founded in the last city you added to your empire.

311) The Arabian and Holy Roman Empire exist centuries before the founding of Islam or Christianity

312) If Aluminum is not available a space ship will be made of steel and it takes twice as long.

313) If a city has too many of one nationality in it and is owned by a different nation then that nation will attempt to revolt to the other nation

314) American is a Nationality

310) Religions are automatically founded in the last city you added to your empire.

Is that something new for BTS? (I only have Warlords) I've had religions be founded in my second city when I had like 15 cities at that time. Has anyone else? It usually does found in the last city you added, but I can distinctly remember several times that that was not the case.

315) You don't need computers to launch spaceship to a distant star. All calculations are done by ALOT of guys who are whizzes with an abacus.

316 A massive battlegroup of four battleships, two destroyers, a submarine and an aircraft carrier can be brought to a halt by the plucky crew of the HMS Trireme. The movie is coming out next month.

315) You don't need computers to launch spaceship to a distant star. All calculations are done by ALOT of guys who are whizzes with an abacus.
Actually before about 1980 that was what was happening. Calculators arrived on the scene only after the moon landing and using things like slide rules and log tables calculations was practicable in the early stages of the space race. There was another system invented during the war to make ordinary mathematics quicker and simpler but it was only just catching on when calculators (i.e. microcomputers) were introduced. I assume NASA had mainframes, but at least the Soviets got by without a significant microcomputer industry. Calculators have probably made us lazier and less able to rely on our own powers of mental arithmetic; I know I was the first generation that they were widespread in schools (I'm nearly 30) and I know that probably had an impact on me bothering to learn things like long division the hard way. When I came to do maths at A-level where you need to know long division to make sense of algebraic formulae that you can't just plug into a calculator, I was completely lost because I had worked out that long division was easy when you could just key in the numbers without working through it properly.

Joke:
The Americans discovered they could not use standard fountain pens in space stations and came up with a solution - they spent a million dollars designing, testing and manufacturing a pen with ink which didn't leak in zero-gravity.

The Russians discovered they could not use standard fountain pens in space stations and came up with solution - they used a pencil.

QED.

Anyway.

317) It is possible for a spearman to hit a tank until it goes away without dying in the process.

318) It is possible for enemy soldiers to sit out in the middle of enemy territories without the enemy doing much about it.

319) A well aimed arrow can cut through the rope which works a catapult or trebuchet, shatttering it like matchwood.

Is that something new for BTS? (I only have Warlords) I've had religions be founded in my second city when I had like 15 cities at that time. Has anyone else? It usually does found in the last city you added, but I can distinctly remember several times that that was not the case.
Actually his statement was not true but likely. Holy city is determined by pop, present religions and whether it's capital or not.

I assume there is a factor of randomness too. I've had a religion found in my second city when I had three cities and the second one was also the holy city of another religion and the only one that had a religion. I'm not sure but I think it had a bigger population than the third city too. :confused:

Top Bottom