The Netherlands (pre-release thread)

So it looks like the main benefit of the Dutch is going to be the Polder. The video released today had it at 4:c5food:1:c5production:2:c5gold: in late Renaissance or early Industrial. That's equivalent to a resource tile (Wheat would be 5:c5food:1:c5production: for example). Besides that they are still a Marsh, so if you have a few adjacent you get a mini Great Wall in the bargain.

Edit: And that's on a Marsh. On a Floodplain it would be 5:c5food:1:c5production:3:c5gold:

Edit 2: snipperrabbitt!! points out in the main thread about the video that it looks as if Polders create trade routes without roads as well.

Yeah, the Dutch look pretty badass. They've definitely moved up my list of need-to-play G&K civs.

So it looks like the main benefit of the Dutch is going to be the Polder. The video released today had it at 4:c5food:1:c5production:2:c5gold: in late Renaissance or early Industrial. That's equivalent to a resource tile (Wheat would be 5:c5food:1:c5production: for example). Besides that they are still a Marsh, so if you have a few adjacent you get a mini Great Wall in the bargain.

Edit: And that's on a Marsh. On a Floodplain it would be 5:c5food:1:c5production:3:c5gold:

Edit 2: snipperrabbitt!! points out in the main thread about the video that it looks as if Polders create trade routes without roads as well.

Mon dieu ... *crosses myself*

If only they weren't so unattractive.

The fact that the Sea Beggar can actually conquer an enemy ship sounds highly interesting to me. Especially on Naval Warfare, it seems the Sea Beggar can allow Holland to amass a bigger naval fleet then others by its stealing. Would be fun if you could hide a few of them, and them sneak them up on Destroyers and such to steal them away from your opposition...
As for the Polder, the Production+Gold bonus makes it a lot more interesting. Shame there's no tulips, but this works, it works very well.

I highly doubt it will be the same as the Ottoman UA. You will have to defeat the ship in battle before it will turn over to you. Can't see Sea Beggars defeating Destroyers any time soon.

Can someone tell me what is unique about the sea beggar?

I'm curious about this as well. I thought it was released relatively late that the Sea Beggar was meant to have 6 movement and the Privateer 4. However, the manual seems to say that both are 5 and a quick look at Arioch's website confirms the confusion. Hopefully someone with the game will fill us in because according to the manual the only thing unique about the Sea Beggar is that only the Dutch can build it.

It has coastal raider 2 extra 20% against cities 34% gold steal based on damage. Don't know if that stacks, but it does add up to 100%. Also has supply promotion can heal 15 hp outside friendly lands.

I chose to give my namesake William the honor of my first G+K playthrough! The extra happiness you get when you trade away your luxuries is fantastic! So far traded away my first and only plots of cotton and furs and reaped 365 gold each...only to have a brute pillage said plots...thus allowing me to repair them and resell them at 7 gold per turn. Running at +9 happiness and +16 gold per turn and $1400 in the bank as I enter the classic era. One city.

Tulips are definitely not in the game. Polders are simply an improvement; they don't add any new resource.

Can't remember if it was this thread or another one, but note that polders do not create trade routes. It's just that you can't see roads that are on them, because their art plasters itself over the top.

Isn't it strange, iirc, that movement penalty on polder tile is the same as on marsh? Polders shouldn't have any movement penalty.

EDIT: OK a polder is an improvement and an improvement doesn't change the movement penalty, but with a polder it should.

Top Bottom