[UXP] Legends of Revolutions

The Renaisance/middle ages really needs a legend or two. Its only got 2 while modern/industrial has 5 and classical has 3. Having 3 early legends, 4 midgame , and 5 endgame would would be a really balanced progression.

I think a legendary knight would be good but that would mean finding an asian or african knight more legendary than the Knights Templars. (and I'd have to fight someone if they tried to claim that)

Have to agree here. I'd concentrate on finding legends for each era rather than trying to find them from all around the globe. Personally I'd go for 4-4-4, though, but maybe that just 'cause I enjoy the earlier parts (pre-gunpowder era) of the game most.

The Varangian are already the UU for the vikings. I know its a little off but I think it was a throwback from this mods ancestors. I think its was from wolfschanze mod

Ah, OK. Byzantine was my neighbour in the last game so I just noticed the Varangians weren't there... didn't really check if they were elsewhere, have to admit.

Have to agree here. I'd concentrate on finding legends for each era rather than trying to find them from all around the globe. Personally I'd go for 4-4-4, though, but maybe that just 'cause I enjoy the earlier parts (pre-gunpowder era) of the game most.

Well I think he's trying to be fair to the rest of the world and not just make the legends western oriented. Personally I don't see a problem with it. If a certain group of peoples has more legendary type units than so be it. But in his defense the rest of the world really only has 1 legend.

Phungus says there's 2 but really the Sacred band is European. The Sacred Band in LoR is described as the Sacred Band of Thebes which was greek. I think since in the past he's described them as african or mediterranean, then he's mixing it up with The Sacred band of Carthage (otherwise he'd be lumping the 300 and LegioX in with them). Which ever one it's supposed to be, they're both from European type societies (carthaginians were descendants of pheonicians which started kinda between Europe and Asia, and after they moved to carthage thay were practically on the doorstep of italy). So really I've only compounded the problem.

Ah, OK. Byzantine was my neighbour in the last game so I just noticed the Varangians weren't there... didn't really check if they were elsewhere, have to admit.

Actually never read about them till you mentioned them being Byzantine. It seems odd, if this was done by Wolf. He seemed like a real stickler about accuracy. Don't know what was wrong with Berserker. Although the varangian looks cool as hell.

Actually never read about them till you mentioned them being Byzantine. It seems odd, if this was done by Wolf. He seemed like a real stickler about accuracy. Don't know what was wrong with Berserker. Although the varangian looks cool as hell.

Yeah, well, it's though call... they are scandinavian, but the most famous single unit was the Varangian Guard who served as the personal guard of the Byzantine rulers... so in general, it makes sense, that they are Vikings... but if you wanted to add them as a legendary unit, I'd definitely make them Byzantine... Mercenary-like troops fit rather ill in these kind of categories.

wow i found this mod VERY hard

Have you enjoyed it though? I originally found the revolution and barb aspects tough but they add a new layer of strategy to the game. Instead of just tacking on a bunch of extra stuff thats just a carbon copy of things that are already in the game or completely overhauling the game. LoR forces your game to go longer alot of times thereby increasing your chances of playing the later eras that a lot of people never get to.

wow i found this mod VERY hard

It is quite a bit tougher than other mods. I finished a complete game last night and it was fantastic. I had to turn off the revolution component because it just annoys me to pieces, but the rest of the things in it are awesome. I had none of the expected crashes with BetterAI, (version .60 and 64 bit Vista don't seem to get along very well, but the new version is just fine.), and no hiccups with the mod at all. The best part of it is that there are plenty of things to keep you busy, but the mod isn't overloaded with "extras". I don't need a personal assistant and a research staff to keep track of everything. It's very balanced.

I did take the advice of moving down a level at first, (Prince to Noble), and I'm glad I did. I still lost (not by much!), but I had a chance. If I had stayed at Prince there would have been no chance at all.

I did notice one strange thing: If the AI offers you a trade, you have to accept right away. If you ask to negotiate and find nothing else to trade, then try to go back to the original deal, the AI will say no to the original deal they offered unless you sweeten the pot. Even then they sometimes say no.

Did you guys mod the AI to be insulted? :lol:

I did notice one strange thing: If the AI offers you a trade, you have to accept right away. If you ask to negotiate and find nothing else to trade, then try to go back to the original deal, the AI will say no to the original deal they offered unless you sweeten the pot. Even then they sometimes say no.

Did you guys mod the AI to be insulted? :lol:
Actually this is a bug in default civ4. For some deals when the AI proposes a deal, it checks the value of techs incorrectly when first making the initial offer. Then if you try to renegotiate it then checks the values correctly. I think this is on the docket for better AI fixes to come, but I guess it hasn't been implemented yet.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the mod. :)

Now I need to work on updating to RevDCM 2.0, no small task in itself. After that's done I'll split the Native Americans into two proper civs (Iroquois and Sioux). Once that's done I'll have the next test build up. That test build 0.9.2x will be a the step at which the next official release will be based on. Assuming the test build works fine, I'll use it as the next official release.

For the planned official release to get out of Beta and thus go with a 1.0.x release I'll need to fix the scoreboard, and hopefully expose all RevIdx caused to the player. Also removing/fixing any left over high poly city art also must be done. Also plan on implementing a couple more legends around this time to even things out as requested. Somewhere in here (either in the 0.9 beta, or 1.0 phase), I need to reajust the Era dates; my goal is to keep the dates and stuff virtually unchanged, but have the end date for the Time victory occur at 2100AD instead of 2050.

Anyway just letting you guys know what's up on the development side of things. Where the priorities are, and the issues I think need to be fixed and resolved. Also I'm curious, for those who have tried the 0.9.1x test build, how is it?

Edit:
One more thing, due to the time it takes to work on this, I haven't had a chance to really play it since the 0.8.2 release. I mostly watch AI vs AI games to test balance and see how things are working. So any insight into how the game actually plays and feels from the user perspective is immensly helpful. I'm especially interested in the modern era, the Units and progression, and battle mechanics therein, and the extreme climate farm and cottages and how they effect late game play.

Of course I respect your right to do as you wish, but I don't really see the logic here at all. Anyone can build them anyways, so just as the Americans can have the Pyramids and the Hanging Gardens, the Japanese can have the 101st, etc. The priority should be on well known cool units and not ethnic balance IMHO.

By the way, if Red Baron is still up for debate because he is a solo guy.. why not just rename it the Flying Circus? That was a very unique unit, just as well know to those with an interest, and it was commanded by the Red Baron, but although he gets all the glory he was primus inter pares of this elite group...

Still downloading, but this looks absolutely fantastic! And from a 420 brother no less! I have been wishing for something with Rev and Wolfschanze elements, and it looks like my dream has come true... thank you very much for your efforts good sir.

I believe all that is handled in the CityLSystem and CityPlotSystem files. At least I can't see where else it would be.

For the planned official release to get out of Beta and thus go with a 1.0.x release I'll need to fix the scoreboard, and hopefully expose all RevIdx caused to the player.

Did you see the link I posted in the RevDCM thread to a stand-alone scrolling scoreboard mod? I'm not sure if it's helpful at all but the link is here in case you missed it: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=295703

Just to report a typo bug: "Firworks Festival". I've been playing 0.9 on a huge map, currently in industrial era, so far, so good.

Phungus, as soon as i DL'd I played it for almost 10 hours straight, and really this mod expansion is all I hoped for and more.

You have done a SUPERB job of carefully collecting and combining all the best bits, as well as adding your own stuff meaty stuff, in a way that provides a much deeper and more involving game. You are absolutely right in calling this an expansion, because this is much more than "just a mod". There is no period of history where it gets boring or there isn't something new coming along...

I loved Wolfschanze, but stopped playing because I kept longing for the cool REV elements. I also wished that REV had more of the complex units and techs. This thing you've created is pretty much EXACTLY what I would have done (if I had any clue about modding) so THANK YOU VERY MUCH DUDE!!

There is really only one element that was slightly non-optimal, and that was seeing the cartoonish bright default terrain after so long with the excellent Blue Marble textures. I am guessing the majority here are with me? I would love either to see you incorporate that, or even if someone could point me in the right direction as to how I could patch that in myself.

All the best and please keep at it.

Has anyone noticed any graphics issues with this mod? I'm not entirely sure what happened, but about turn 450 in my latest game, (Epic speed) the city build menu popped up as usual, but some of the unit icons were flashing on and off. It looked like a flickering neon sign, to be exact, but it wasn't all of the icons, only some. Then a random event screen popped up and the green buttons were flashing, the text was fine. I made my selection and the window closed, and then I saved the game.

The problem immediately went away, and reloading the save or the auto save won't bring the problem back, nor did it come back for the remainder of the game.

I haven't had this problem before, but this is a new computer and I'm still working out the bugs, so it could be hardware, I don't know. I used to have a problem with an older version of Varietas Delectat, where some of the unit icons would show up randomly as red blobs. Reinstalling Varietas fixed it for a while, then it would come back, and that was on both of my computers, and my room mate's.

I'm switching to the test build next game, and if it happens again I'll try to take a screenie and another save and upload them.

There is really only one element that was slightly non-optimal, and that was seeing the cartoonish bright default terrain after so long with the excellent Blue Marble textures. I am guessing the majority here are with me? I would love either to see you incorporate that, or even if someone could point me in the right direction as to how I could patch that in myself.

There's no need to merge in the terrain from Blue Marble. You just need to install BM to your CustomAssets folder, and it'll show up in LoR and other mods. :)

@Phungus: Just realized I never asked about a poly threshold for the buildings. What i have come up with is for each type of building I have made a poly limit. The 2000 limit for units was about twice the average vanilla unit and about 30% more than high end vanilla unit. So For each building I did the same. Say if the library was 300 than I tried to keep any ethnic library under 600. Then did the same for each theater, forge, etc. I gave wonders and buildings like academy more leeway since there are very few ever on the map. Does this sound reasonable?

@To anyone here with 3dsMAX knowledge 'cuz C&C forum is slow and they ingnore all my posts anyways:

I am weeding out the high poly buidings and strustures. Have managed to fix most by simply converting to NiTriShapes. There are still a few that I could save from the chopping block except for some of them having a shininess. They totally look crappy if I just put base texture otherwise I would just roll with it.

Does anyone here know how to work with the material editor in 3dsMAX?? I cannot figure out how to properly reapply a texture beyond a base color map. Several of the buildings that I am trying to save from extinction have a specular level or several shader maps applied to them that give them a shine. If anyone knows how to do this or if I can simply copy material property (also something I have never done) from old nif to fixed nif with nifscope/sceneviewer, please PM me. It would help the mod (and me) to save as many ethnisc variants as possible but ultimately they gota get cut if they don't fall into the mod's mission of playability by the masses.

There's no need to merge in the terrain from Blue Marble. You just need to install BM to your CustomAssets folder, and it'll show up in LoR and other mods. :)

That's great news. I wonder why though with some mods it just works without that.

Actually I'm fine with going a little higher then that for some of the buildings. Any single instance building, bascially anything you build would be acceptable to have 2000 polys. If regular city art though is like 500 or so in default civ, it should be limited to double that (there are usually ALOT of basic city art models about). I'm more concerned with buildings with extreme poly counts 2000+ to be exact. I heard somewhere some of the city art had 5000+ poly models which is definatly not acceptable. Also while you're doing this, feel free to make the necessary adjustments in the XML if you find it easy (for instance if you cut a teepee model, feel free to replace it's entry in the CityLSystem XML with the meso equivalent). If you do that, it'll save me a ton of work ;) and I've found often it's best to make changes like that while you're working with it, since you're already refrencing the XML anyway, you know where you are, and what needs to change. Of course only do this if you want to, and you're comfortable with it.

Edit: Of course all that said. If you can reduce the polycount or texture size on any model (unit or structure) without any loss of aesthetics, feel free to do so. Even dropping a 600 poly model to 400 will improve overall perfermance, so all it will do is help :)

ENG : Are the two Earth maps be convenient for you (post 154 of your thread) ?

FRA : Est-ce que ces deux cartes de la Terre vous conviennent (post 154 de votre fil) ?

Yes, I'll convert them, and include them in following versions. But this isn't a priority right now.

@Meatbomb
Thanks for stroking my ego. Is much apreciated :king:

As for Blue Marble, I'll work on setting it up as an optional download for later versions. This is on The List, so to speak.

Top Bottom