Arioch's Analyst Thread

I'd say that steam power is one of the more obvious ones in terms of text (again, it's quite a bit clearer on the video because the smudging is reduced by the blending of frames), as to science versus tradition, I'd say doesn't look like tradition at all, and that the first letter is definitely an S. Take a look

If you want to offer any alternatives, I'd be glad to take a look, but it doesn't look like tradition, and it looks a lot like steam power.

I'd say that steam power is one of the more obvious ones in terms of text (again, it's quite a bit clearer on the video because the smudging is reduced by the blending of frames), as to science versus tradition, I'd say doesn't look like tradition at all, and that the first letter is definitely an S. Take a look

If you want to offer any alternatives, I'd be glad to take a look, but it doesn't look like tradition, and it looks a lot like steam power.

The second word of "Steam power" seems to have a g or a y as it's 3rd letter. I cant offer alternatives, as I really can't make it out. Your eyes are probably a lot younger than mine. I'll defer to your judgment.

Edit: Could that be Steam Engines? Although...... Maybe not.

I haven't seen the vid this comes off. So it's hard for me to know for sure.

It might also suggest that terrain specific movement bonusses are no longer granted with promotions in Civ5, as it would make this trait less valuable (there might be generic movement promotions instead).

Incorrect, in civ4 we had UU's such as jaguar starting out with easier movement in the forest, (or part of the way there), we didnt need to remove the upgrade from all other units to make it "better", The iqourus bonus is that they don't have to spend unit level up's to get the movement bonus they start off with it.

At least one of Tikal, Calakmul, Copan, Palenque etc seem very likely as a city state to me. I mean, the inclusion of city states may be the reason that Maya aren't a playable civ, considering they were a bunch of independent city states in reality.

Incorrect, in civ4 we had UU's such as jaguar starting out with easier movement in the forest, (or part of the way there), we didnt need to remove the upgrade from all other units to make it "better", The iqourus bonus is that they don't have to spend unit level up's to get the movement bonus they start off with it.

Rome gets 20% of all buildings in other cities that already exists in Rome, i.e. the equivalent of a free forge in all cities besides the capital. I don't think having part of a promotion for all your units really stacks up to that, although the fact that it available from the start might make up for it.

I'm pretty sure of "Military Tradition" (which is what I thought bjbrains said, my fault for not reading more clearly. I think the second word is too long to be "science"... not to mention that Military Tradition has been the tech of cavalry for as many versions of Civ as I can remember). If you see the video in motion, I think it's clear the last tech is "Steam Power". The video is really blurry, but it's a little bit easier to see in motion. Steam Power is one of the first ones I had written down.

it makes up for it, if would stack with a movement promotion.

Pretty sure it will, and of course the Iroquois have an early UU, which might make it even more effective. Note that now everything is done in movements points rather than the more vague way things were defined in Civ4. The Great Warpath is "only one movement point needed to move into a forest hex" and a movement promotion would simply be "this unit has one additional movement point".

That reminds me of something: have we seen evidence that fractional movement points are still in the game? That would give us an indication of whether they still follow the Civ4 model for road movement or have gone to the CivRev model where moving from one city to another that are connected by a road costs one movement point (or that roads don't affect unit movement at all).

Rome gets 20% of all buildings in other cities that already exists in Rome, i.e. the equivalent of a free forge in all cities besides the capital. I don't think having part of a promotion for all your units really stacks up to that, although the fact that it available from the start might make up for it.

When my iqorus troops walk past a forest and attack your ballistas when you thought they were safe because the forest stops all movement, then you will be sorry you made the assumption Rome was better!!!! muhahahahaha!

Besides are you suggesting with not much knowledge of the different abilities of other civs / strength of thier untis or buildings that Rome will be better, you might be right, Rome was better in Civ4 :p.

isn't that 25%, not 20%...?

Archeology before Steam Power?! What?

Archeology started in the late 19th century. The steam engine and railways began in the 18th century. This is ridiculous.

As in modern archeology, yes, you're right. But the science can actually trace its roots to the centuries before that, even though the methodology wasn't nearly as developed.

Your talking about scolatics and classical studies by European and Islamic academics in the mnedieval and renaissance, which is correct. However, archeology is distictly different to this. Archeology is not about studying past literature politics and science but the history of the earth and humanity itself. It is intrinsically linked to the 19th centiry through scientific advancements of geology, the beginnings of study of pre-history (pre-written history) and many of cultural and scientific discoverys (the earth being millions of years old, the theory of evolution ect), as well as, the rediscovery of many ancient civilizations Maya, Egypt ect.

no more or less then anything video game or history related maters. But it would be nice to have a semblance of acuracy. It's no different to putting the combustion engine tech before the pottery one.

From the esrb website:

Rating: Everyone 10+

Content descriptors: Drug Reference, Mild Language, Mild Violence

Rating summary:
This is a strategy game in which players manage a nation from a single settlement to a prominent civilization. Players can develop their nation's culture and technology, manage its economic and social infrastructure (e.g., diplomacy, trade), and expand territory through military conquests. Combat with nations is presented from an overhead perspective, and military units are represented by small armies of soldiers on a gridded map. Battles include brief animations of sword fighting, gun fights, and vehicular combat, resulting in icons exploding, collapsing, or disappearing. Nuclear weapons can be developed and detonated over opposing nation's territories. Historically based text includes descriptions of violence (e.g., assassinations, murders, suicides) and a reference to the opium drug trade (e.g., "where they could engage in extremely profitable business including the infamous opium trade.").

I'm fairly sure the "art of digging in the ground for treasure" was done before the 19th century ;).
They may not have titled it as a science though.

I'm fairly sure the "art of digging in the ground for treasure" was done before the 19th century ;).
They may not have titled it as a science though.

That art began about 5 minutes after people starting burying people with treasure.

The Archeaology tech is interesting though... Will it enable some kind of development of the ruins features? Like maybe early game you go through the ruins and get your goody but maybe at least some of the ruins are persistent afterwards and you can develop them like a resource later after Archy?

I doubt it, though It would be nice if the tech gave a bonus for better results from ruins, but I doubt this would be the case for a reniassance tech. Not sure on what it could be.

Top Bottom