[MODMOD] Age of Further Discovery v0.03 for AoDII v1.12

i got a problem with the mod,... installed the new full thingy + pemodmod and blumodmod...
this is the problem:

anyone know how to help?

question 2:
is the mod stable with hotseat sessions?

question 3:
is it normal that the production cost of EVERYTHING is 1 round?

i got a problem with the mod,... installed the new full thingy + pemodmod and blumodmod...

First, this ModMod actualy is a merge of PEModMod and BLUModMod for AoDII. So DO NOT install any of those two with it or it won't work!!!

Just follow the installation instructions from the first post, and remember that it is not yet compatible with the latest 1.11b version of AoDII...

question 2:
is the mod stable with hotseat sessions?

I haven't tested hotseat, let me know if there is a problem with it...

question 3:
is it normal that the production cost of EVERYTHING is 1 round?

This is a feature from AoDII, you'll get more with each building upgrade...

Hey guys. Is anyone working on images for the new buildings in the city management screen? If not I have been working on images for the new basic level buildings and would like to volunteer them for your mod as Dale is finishing up working on AoD.

So far I have done:
Base Camp
Village Hall
Carpenter's Shelter
Blacksmith's Shelter
Storage House
Landing Stage

Also Palisade seemed to be showing the Stockade art in my game, so fixed that. So far that is all I have done, and I havent done the corresponding buttons.

Let me know if you'd like to include them and i'll post up here what i've done and any more as I complete them.

:goodjob:

Hey guys. Is anyone working on images for the new buildings in the city management screen? If not I have been working on images for the new basic level buildings and would like to volunteer them for your mod as Dale is finishing up working on AoD.

So far I have done:
Village Hall
Carpenter's Shelter
Blacksmith's Shelter
Storage House
Landing Stage

Also Palisade seemed to be showing the Stockade art in my game, so fixed that. So far that is all I have done, and I havent done the corresponding buttons.

Let me know if you'd like to include them and i'll post up here what i've done and any more as I complete them.

:goodjob:

Great! Just PM me with a link to the file and I'll add them in the next version! :goodjob:

Oh and Palisade shows Stokade art because of the new Stone Fortress...

Great! Just PM me with a link to the file and I'll add them in the next version! :goodjob:

Oh and Palisade shows Stokade art because of the new Stone Fortress...

Is each ver of the stockade gonna have the art from the next yet? In my game both Palisade and Stockade were showing the Stockade art, is that gonna change to showing the fort art then?

Hey, here is a pic of the five buildings I have done so far... atm they are in the main city_buildings_altas.dds tho. Will work on linking them externally later... :)

Aymerick, as Dale's finished with AoD, when can we expect this excellent modmod to be updated?

I'll be releasing an update this weekend...

Hey, here is a pic of the five buildings I have done so far... atm they are in the main city_buildings_altas.dds tho. Will work on linking them externally later... :)

Kaibayashi, let me know if your done with the building graphics so I can add them too...

Hi Aymerick, have only added a couple buildings recently, due to work/girlfriend probs sucking up all my time! :( Here is a .zip with the .dds images and .xml files I've edited. Not sure if the paths are intact so you may have to manually extract, tho i'm sure you can do that np!! :)

I'm gonna try and work on more this morning so will post any more I get done here :)

Edit: The buildings I've done now are;
Base Camp
Village Hall
Carpenter's Shelter
Blacksmith's Shelter
Storage House
Landing Stage
Chapel
Pasture

Also, do you know what the 'fscale' attribrute does? I was having a problem with the size of some of the buildings (due to noobness) and changed this on some of the new buildings, but it doesnt seem to have any effect??

Edit 2: I have redone the pasture and attached .dds. Also just noticed where I flipped the Chapel around I flipped the shadow too, so its on the other side compared to all the others. Important or no??

Attachments

• City_Management.zip
    86 KB · Views: 64
  • pasture.zip
    16.7 KB · Views: 68
Also, do you know what the 'fscale' attribrute does? I was having a problem with the size of some of the buildings (due to noobness) and changed this on some of the new buildings, but it doesnt seem to have any effect??

Those two attribute from the CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml, fScale and fInterfaceScale, are for the scaling of the building's 3d model in the Civilipedia and on the Map Interface (but for the Map Interface they can also be scaled in the CIV4CityLSystem.xml).

For your size problem, if you want to use a single dds for each building, each dds must be of 128x128 pixel (I know Kailric said 130x130 in another thread but it is 128x128, multiple of 4...). I suggest you use the city_buildings_altas.dds as a basis to make your new graphics and than cut the square into a single file for that building...

They all have to be rework so you might want to correct the Chappel's shadow too! ;)

Will this work for AoD II beyond the 1.10 version? I happened to obtain 1.12, I think.

I believe Aymerick is working on the 1.12 version - it should be released soon. :)

Those two attribute from the CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml, fScale and fInterfaceScale, are for the scaling of the building's 3d model in the Civilipedia and on the Map Interface (but for the Map Interface they can also be scaled in the CIV4CityLSystem.xml).

For your size problem, if you want to use a single dds for each building, each dds must be of 128x128 pixel (I know Kailric said 130x130 in another thread but it is 128x128, multiple of 4...). I suggest you use the city_buildings_altas.dds as a basis to make your new graphics and than cut the square into a single file for that building...

They all have to be rework so you might want to correct the Chappel's shadow too! ;)

Ah cool. I messed with fScale on a few, hopefully it doesnt bork things too much, will have a look. Shoulda known about the 128, obvious really! Wont take long to fix, will sort it and reload.

Edit: Fixed the sizes and swapped the Chapel around to match the other buildings. Attached new version.

Attachments

• City_Management.zip
    77.8 KB · Views: 76
Ok, done the Distiller's shelter... havent attached xml for this one, tho can do if u like.

Attachments

• distillers_shelter.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 59
  • distiller.png
    distiller.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 85
Two more... tobacconists shelter and weavers shelter. :)

Edit: Added Fur Traders Shelter and Weapon Shelter.

Attachments

• weavers_shelter.png
    weavers_shelter.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 68
  • tobacconists_shelter.png
    tobacconists_shelter.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 73
  • tobacconists_shelter.zip
    11.5 KB · Views: 66
  • weavers_shelter.zip
    9 KB · Views: 58
  • fur_traders_shelter.png
    fur_traders_shelter.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 60
  • furtraders_shelter.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 66
  • weapon_shelter.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 74
  • weapon_shelter.png
    weapon_shelter.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 61
Is there a forum for this mod? Trying to find a place for 'requests' if only to see if there are gamers out there who might want a bit more historical stuff in the game for simulations sake.

Is there a forum for this mod? Trying to find a place for 'requests' if only to see if there are gamers out there who might want a bit more historical stuff in the game for simulations sake.

Hi arkham4269,

If you have requests or suggestion related to AoFD, here would be the place"!

Or you could also start a new thread in "Civ4Col - Creation & Customization"...

Well over on the AoDII mod, I pretty much got told that the designer doesn't like 'negative player' actions impacting on the game too much. Well it's his mod and his choice.

However, some of us like to play Civ (in all it's forms) as a simulation that is fun to play and has a bit more flexibility than say a hard core simulation like Europa Universalis.

Having said that, I (and a many like me) don't like the, "It's only a game" comment when asking that perhaps things could be tweaked a bit to better simulate the actual conditions. I mean the whole ad campaign for Civ has always been, 'If you ruled, what would you do?' Well if I'm trying to see that, I'd like certain things, positive or negative to reflect the challenges of the times.

For Colonization, I'm seeing three things that I've noticed are missing that really seem to be glaring.

1. As have been discussed on a AoDII thread, exploring is too easy. Early exploring was dangerous and back in the day, due to disease, animals and natives who might decided all your neat European gear might look mighty fine in their teepee.

Mostly, a lot of us think a system similar to what Fall From Heaven uses where Ancient Ruins and Burial Grounds would cause random events, (many negative) as well as a barbarian spawn system. I mean in Col1, you could on good terms with the locals but there was still rogue bands of warriors running around, which is historical for the times.

2. Plus, for those of us who like things a bit more historical, you'd think that the plague option a lot of Civ mods have would be installed as an option. Not a "Black Death" sort of plague but more of things like smallpox that has a moderate effect on European cities but would really hurt the natives. I mean from what I've read in books like Pox American http://www.powells.com/biblio/74-9780809078219-0 something like 90% of the initial First Natives died of it and other European diseases. The whole Mississippi Mound builders died out before even being 'discovered' by Europeans.

Plus, I think that there needs to be a lot nastier health penalty being around marsh and swamps. Malaria was no joke back then and the was one of the prime reasons slaves from Africa were brought in since they weren't as affected by malaria as the Northern Europeans were.

3. Continuing from 2, what's up with no slavery? It's in Civ IV, it's in many mods and there have been a lot of them that have some very nice systems to show slave revolts that necessitate keeping more troops available to put them down. It was (and is) a barbaric practice, but it helped bring in the money which is why most folks were there in the first place.

Again I would think that without making areas around marsh and jungle very unhealthy, having slavery isn't that necessary. Since Col2 doesn't have a lot of ways to fix it (and in the case of malaria, the cure was discovered to after the scope of the game) I think that a system where unhealthy points would accumulate like a resource and when a certain level is hit (determined by the number of tiles that produce them) there would be a % chance of colonists dying. So every so often you'd might have your Fiery Preacher die as well as the overall population of the city take a hit.

Sure this sucks, but that's the way it was and why it wasn't till much later did Africa get colonized by Europeans because Mr. Malaria didn't play.

To keep this post small, I'll continue in another post.

Continuing from before.

4, Smuggling. One thing that strikes me is that Colonist can't smuggle goods to other European players. One of the biggest gripes King George had with the colonists was that they were flouting the English Mercantile Acts and doing a lot of trading with England's trade enemies. So I think that when you could sail to the Homeland, there should be an option (and new screen) which would allow you to trade elsewhere in Europe. However, there would be a chance that your ship and cargo would get intercepted by the Navy and the ship would be lost and perhaps a financial fine imposed upon you.

5. Similar to smuggling and the lack of roaming barbarians is the lack of pirates. In the games I've played, the only pirates are those the AI players build. The early part of the game is easily withing the "Golden Age of Piracy" so I'd think there should be pirates running around.

6. Since most colonists can't build navies, a started a thread about on one mod asking why our colonies pay taxes but never get help from the king? My feeling is there should be a mechanic where the colonies ask for Royal help and troops & ships are taken out of the Expeditionary Force and sent to help. One of the reasons for the taxes (at least in US History) is England was trying to recoup revenue from having to pay for the 3 pre-Independence wars. Having to pay taxes in the game but not getting any of that help is sort of lame.

I don't know how it could be done in Col2, but if there was a way to have some sort of system to track :mad: then any time you ask for Royal troops, wherever they are quartered, there would be an increase in :mad:. Perhaps the level of :mad: could just add to the number of :hammers: that are needed to producing things to show folks not working. Anyway, having to ask for Royal help and perhaps having to kiss his ring would increase the :mad: just as successful battles would decrease them.

7. Privateers. The Fall From Heaven modmod Orbis has a neat system where there is a Letter of Marque promotion that allows for a privateer mission. Any ship would this could act privateer for as long as the privateer mission is kept active.

Conversely, I think a neat idea from the old Civ III mod Rise and Rule could be used for pirates or ships attacking other ships during wartime: prize ships. In the mod, prize ships were usually created (80% of the time) when a privateer or warship attacked a cargo ship. The ship would be a 'bad' version of what ever class it was. In this I mean it generally held one less cargo space. However, while you could use them for transport, the real use was to bring them back to port and then convert them into a big :hammers: bonus. Taking prizes was a BIG deal back in the day. So much so that during war time, many good captains refused to be promoted away from the swift frigates because it was much more lucrative to stay in a ship that did a lot of commerce raiding. (more on that below)

8. Europe at war. One thing about Col2 that I find odd is that the European powers never go to war with each other outside the scope of the game. In this I mean the forces the cause the AI to declare war are dependent on what's going on in the game. However, historically the Europeans went to war all the time for lots of reason, many of which had no bearing on what was going on in the colonies.

I think that there needs to be something like the system that is in Sid Meier's Pirates! where the European power will often be at war with each other regardless of what's going on in the game. That way having warships and ships with the letters of marque promotion become really valuable. I mean from what I've seen on the forums and in play myself, there is NO reason to build Frigates since the Royal Navy ships sink them with ease and thus are only needed if the AI likes building privateers. However, if war breaks out, then like the barbarian spawn, you'd have enemy country sending in ships and perhaps regulars. Like the smuggling mission I mentioned, I think pirates and warships during war should be able to enter the "Homeland" zone and then have an option of "Commerce Raiding" and thus they'd disappear and every so often you'd get a hit and make money or get a notice that your ship has been sunk. Again, historically a lot of cargo ships found it much more lucrative during times of war to bulk up on canon and marines a get their letters of marque and raid enemy shipping then do 'honest trading'. If anything, it gives you a mission for all those caravels that tend to be nothing but people transports later in the game. :D

Sort of like I mentioned above, you could ask for help from the King or perhaps like the way the Indians do, the King would come calling saying, "I'm dispatching X ships and X troops to help you" and you'd get these troops to use till the war ended.

These are just some ideas I've had. I'm not a coder so I don't know how hard a lot of these would be and I am sure some might not be viable. However most of them, I think, should be possible and wouldn't cause undue hardships in regard to game play.

Sorry, don't mean to spam this thread.

However, I was thinking that one aspect of Col2 that sometimes gets me is that the King always is a negative factor. He wants you to kiss his ring to pay off his gambling debts or hike your taxes. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I wish there was a way to tap into the Expeditionary Force during times war.

Yet I noticed that there are never any positive European effects. I've played one game where I managed to go a long time w/o ever not kissing the ring, sacking colonies of England's enemies and generally bringing in the revenue. Yet there is no way the game takes being a 'good' subject into account.

Not sure how this could be done (sort of brainstorming here) is that perhaps there could be a Tory victory condition option. My thinking is instead of just going for independence, you could get a win by staying with the mother country.

To do this, I think how cities gain independence points needs to be tweaked a bit (not exactly sure how) to reflect that some parts of your colonies might want independence more than others. I mean as I mentioned above, historically the big mercantile cities of the North were all for independence while the Southern cities whose economies depended on the mother country were not.

How this could be done, I'm not sure. Again I'm posting this to see if anyone has any ideas. The way I'm thinking is that the independence accumulation system would need to be tweaked to reflect that certain industries would breed more independence than others as well as perhaps number of converted colonists vs. free colonists or something like that.

Then as independence sentiment grows, there would be points where you'd get a pop-up saying something like, "Sentiment for Independence is growing, What do you want to do?" Then you can ignore it, start the revolution for independence or start the revolution as a Tory. Then all the cities with high independence ratings would revolt and become a AI player and you'd be left with the Tory cities.

Now above I was saying I think there might need to be a :) vs. :mad: mechanic and I'd think the higher the independence rating in your Tory cities, the more :mad: you'd have. This would lessen by being victorious in battle.

Anyway, just sort of talking out the idea. Would be interested in everyone's thoughts. Of course I sometimes think there needs to be a way to have competing groups of the same nation. Again the colonists of the Northern colonies tended to be a different mix than the Southern colonies. So even those these 'rival' colonists are on the same side as you, they are competing for space. When you go independent, depending on their own levels, their cities might revolt and join your cause or join the fight against you.

Top Bottom