So I just won my fastest Cultural Victory

Syntax Error

Prince
In King, anyway (I'm an Emperor player - I could play Immortal, but I play Civ for relaxation, not a challenge) as China, on turn 298 on a Fractal Map, and it's my first BNW game!

Started out in a Desert/plains - heavy area. Good thing there's a river and some sheep in the desert tiles. This meant Desert Folklore is a good choice for getting a religion, which I did. The great thing about that start is that Beijing could pump out archers every two turns before turn 100 in addition to getting 3 cities and NC at turn 80 (Getting a DOF from Spain early helped). Conquered my neighbor Carthage at the request of Spain (I left her with one city, which Spain eventually conquered.)

Started the culture focus at around turn 140+. The turns before that were spent aggressively teching up and building beakers. I actually had trouble with the bonus of the Globe Theater because I only managed to get a Great Writers on the ear after it.

Over all it was a good game. I maxed out on 1600 CPT when America proposed the World's Fair (?). Was finishing up with that proposal for double tourism, but then I won.

Grats! My best cultural victory date in BNW so far is turn 261 as Spain on Emperor. Granted it was a lucky start with King Solomon's Mines nearby, essentially allowing me to create a second capital that is better than my capital.

Well, the thing with that is that I wasn't beelining to that. I originally wanted a spaceship, but then I decided to try culture. Probably could have went faster if I kept beelining for Science to get the Sydney Opera and the Internet sooner or built all relevant culture wonders in the cap. There was a time I was getting 1 Social Policy every 4 turns, and I actually ran out of artifact slots which seriously impeded my Tomb Raiders. Built the Louvre to remedy that!

I find culture victories to be heavily dependent on the enemy civs. If you get a bunch of warmongers (and survive the early game), you barely need any tourism at all to overcome their embarrassingly bad cpt.

I played a game over the weekend where I won a lategame CV on king with ~160 tpt because I was up against Attila, Askia, Ashurbanipal, Suleiman, Maria I, Darius, and Catherine. By end game, Catherine was the only other civ with any real cultural presence. A small navy remedied that.

One thing I did notice early in my playing of BNW is that it's a LOT easier to stumble into a cultural victory than it used to be. Used to be you basically HAD to follow a set route of social policies, with a set number of cities, and you were in deep trouble if you didn't get particular wonders.

Now that it's a contest rather than a set goal with the bar set rather high, it's far more achievable - in line with the space victory, I'd say.

I just tried going for a cultural victory on emperor and the others on my continent were Korea, Babylon, Inca and Greece.

Yeah all of the wonders were going left and right.

Top Bottom