Why did the AI lie?

The Romans converted one of my cities to their religion with a great prophet. I then asked them to stop, and they agreed. Two turns later that same great prophet converted ANOTHER of my cities. I tried to 'discuss' with them again, but the option wasn't even available.

What gives here? :mad:
The AI lies because the human player can lie too. It would be unfair if the AI always kept its promises while the human is free to break them.

Btw the AI doesn't always lie; I've had games where they did keep their promise and stopped converting my cities. So it probably depends on how "deceptive" the AI is.

Never trust the AI, I killed about 15 Japanese spies in my last game and just stopped caring about it, no need to ruin your "friendship" over it

I had an AI do this too, where they agree and then go ahead and send missionaries anyway. It could be deliberate, but still very possible that it's a bug.

And yeah, for enemy spies, I always forgive unless I want war with them immediately anyway.

^i wasn't aware that not forgiving them gives you a red modifier... is this hidden? i'm aware of the very minor "You forgave them for spying" green modifier...

and i'll forgive them at least on the first try but if they're annoying for this or other reasons throughout the game then i just stop forgiving them- because, if for nothing else, just their stupid spies laying their corpses all over my capitol making the turn times slower because i have to wait for their apology screen :lol:

The AI lied because it thinks it will benefit him/her to lie.

I had my capital prophetized 2-3 times but one of those times, I saw tht the surprise convert gave my holy city access to pagodas/mosques. I was like oh this is awkward, I actually like being converted for once.

I told my spanish inquisition to hold off the surprise as I watched my lands be converted xD

As for the inquisitors, it doesn't exactly "cancel" missionary conversion, it takes the city off a "conversion" list. The AI is programmed not to waste missionaries or GP if an inquisitor is stationed in a city, since it'll waste them and the religion gets wiped out.

One of the reasons why Unity of the Prophets is interesting, it deters the AI from using GPs on your religion, and will instead send missionaries. Unity of the Prophets kinda gets by Holy Orders + Mosque of Djenne though.

That's when you lay a trap, and just when they think they're within striking distance of your Holy City, BAM, you bum-rush their prophet and trap the unit with 6 of your units.
Yah, that'll work too, but only for that single prophet. And it requires committing 6 units to the trap, for an indefinite amount of time, for just that single prophet. It's a good stop-gap solution though, if you need a few turns to store up faith and grab an inquisitor.

Yah, that'll work too, but only for that single prophet. And it requires committing 6 units to the trap, for an indefinite amount of time, for just that single prophet. It's a good stop-gap solution though, if you need a few turns to store up faith and grab an inquisitor.

You can often pin a unit against impassable terrain or pin multiple units with the same friendly units. I've had 3 or 4 pinned up against mountains in an Inca game.

You can often pin a unit against impassable terrain or pin multiple units with the same friendly units. I've had 3 or 4 pinned up against mountains in an Inca game.
Ha! That's funny. There should be a mechanic for establishing an isolated religious community in such instances. ;)

It still seems clear that Inquisitors are the better defense, especially given their movement rate vs. that of GPs (which allows one or two Inquisitors to protect a bunch of well-connected cities), but of course it depends on a bunch of different factors.

They only accept you're promise if they like you a little bit and don't want to be at war with you (especialy lower military)

olso its like a deal it expirece after 30 a 50 turns after that you have to ask it again

I found the hard way that if ai is genuinely friendly to you, he wont send prophets if you have your religion and wont forward settle you even if you don't ask him. If he does - you re better to annihilate him anyway.

Top Bottom