RR11 - Takeshi's castle

Oh, I'm up! Frak! sorry

I'll take a look at things soon

edit: I'm looking at this now (Weds evening)

Ok, a bit of a plan here:

But first, Great People:

Are we looking for a golden age or do we want to use these GPs for something else. We have an oddball GS which we could just settle in Benares for more static beakers or both. We could use the GE to rush West Point in Hanoi or part build Pentagon in Ankor. I'm fine either way.

2nd - A question: What are the plans for the armada? Are we building that up for use in America? Regardless I'll send some units over to quickly wipe out that sneaky Russian city below Ankor defended by only a Cossack.

So to the plan summary:

1) Make peace with Spain now. She will give us some piddly stuff but no use having the distraction at the moment.

2) We are really lacking in reinforcements at present. Change builds to focus on unit production. I will whip up some of the newer cities that are closer to the action. And draft, of course.

3) I'd like to put together a smaller force to send north through Mongolia to protect it and counteract the HRE offensive. Whether or not Etruscan is taken is debateable but the focus will be beating back HRE forces. Looks like HRE will take one of Khan's cities next turn so I will at least try to get it back for our nice submissive vassal.

4) I'm assuming I can take Moscow this turn. We are in woeful need of upgrades, so I'm going to use up that gold for now and focus a few turns on gold generation which is about 1000gpt to upgrade our out-dated army on the front-lines and eventually our navy.

5) I will focus on Novgorod and St. Pete's next and will continuously look for ways of getting peace with France and HRE. Moving on Danzig may help with that but not sure if our army will run out of steam.

The plans for the armada were to go to the Americas, yes, but i think that it will be wise to postpone that for a while ... On the GP, I don't see any strong reason against either GA on them or simply to settle them.

I agree with your 5 point plan. let's just hope we will not run out of steam , like you said ...

I will try to play tonight. Rushing the Pentagon seems like a good deal for our game. More value than West Point really and we can always get WP in Ankor quickly after IW.

I may use the armada to take out that Barb city on Indonesia before someone else does as well as the Russian city.

I also can agree with the 5 point plan.

I'm just wondering, if we won't use the armada for now on the Americas, why not just sail off to Europe through the Suez next to Jerusalem, and tame the HRE and French beasts (well, furry pets with small little teeth) with it a bit? The Americas will likely remain sufficiently backward for time to come, so we can assemble a task force for them later.

I also can agree with the 5 point plan.

I'm just wondering, if we won't use the armada for now on the Americas, why not just sail off to Europe through the Suez next to Jerusalem, and tame the HRE and French beasts (well, furry pets with small little teeth) with it a bit? The Americas will likely remain sufficiently backward for time to come, so we can assemble a task force for them later.
That is a possibility that I also considered ... in fact, by the time we finish the Euros , by the tech pace we are going now, we can force the Aztec + Inca vassaling by simple nuking ;)

If the fleet can serve in anyway to take the Frenchies and the burger king out, feel free to use it that way. I can imagine some operations against the soft underbelly of Europe :D

I like the naval assault on Europe. I will make preps for it. We need to upgrade the armada units - both naval and land. I'll be playing very soon.

Round Played:

I'll update more later, but provide a quick summary and the save:

Took Moscow and a couple of turns in I capped Russia. Peter gave me a city Kurfan in the bargain, which I had planned to just gift back to him, but for some reason I could not. Traded a military tech to switch him to Bud and have him stop trading with our enemies.

I capped Rag the next turn after he broke from Russia. We were getting hit pretty hard by everyone so I felt capping Russia was the right move. Rag gave us Haithalba in the deal, but I gifted it back to him - no point in keeping that city. Stopped his trades with the enemies as well.

Upgraded the Jap Armada and moved it all the way to Athens. Parked the fleet on the Sinai for a few turns to upgrade as many of the units as possible - there are still a few older units but there is enough here to take Rome. It can hit Rome next turn.

Took Visegrad and liberated to Just. We have a rather large stack and some fighters parked in this city as a waypoint to HRE.

Moved units from East Russia to Moscow where a rather large stack now exists, but could use some more upgrades.

Turfan built National Epic and some more GP buildings. Tried to build Pentagon here but Louis beat us. Of course, we will take it anyway soon.

Was able to prevent Mongolia from losing any cities to HRE and then took Etruscan and New Sarai from Charlie. Actually was a tough fight here since I lost some units at bogus odds.

Lotsa Factories/Shale Plants built.

Demanded a bunch of gold and stuff from people to piss them off - not our vassals. Traded military techs with vassals for civic changes and to stop trading with jag offs. (keep an eye on who is trading we whom - we should only have our vassals trade with us and each other)

Made peace with France near the end for a nice chunk of gold and Riba, but I could not liberate it back to the Vikings, which is BS IMO. Anyway, I figure we take the gold for some upgrades and not worry about pot shots from Louie for 10 turns while we take out HRE and Spain.

So, we are position to take HRE out pretty quick I think and then hit Spain and then maybe England, then France when the peace treaty is up. I think we can really steam roll the Euros now.

Oh....and France has settle on Australia so keep an eye out for that

a few screenies (I did a terrible job with screenshots this TS, but there was not a whole lot of events):

cap vikes:

Spoiler :

Visegrad falls and returned to Biz:

Spoiler :

Kick HRE out of Siberia:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Attachments

• RR11 - Takeshi's Castle AD-1880.CivBeyondSwordSave
    868.4 KB · Views: 86
Sounds excellent, lymond! :goodjob:

Capping Russia is great, history proves you better have their massive weight on your side. If we can steamroll the rest of Europe soon, we're just left with capping the backward birdmen of the Americas and we achieved our goal. Or in other words, it's wrapping-up time already. :)

I've given a skim look to the save and yes, youdone a good job taking the vikings and the ruskies from their side to ours. It also lloks that both HRE and the french are pretty worn out and that it is a matter of time until one of them breaks out ... that would be the end of the game besides mop up operations against the americas, Izzy and Liz.

I'll wait for more detail in the report, but for now ... GOT IT.

As I'm already here and this one is wrapping up, better talk of the variant for the next game. My first idea was to make a AW diplo win game ( yup, you read it right ) based on a horrible exploit the game had prior to 3.19 ( it looks that 3.19 fixed it , in spite of not appearing in the changelog ) that allowed you to liberate cities to people you were in war with. As that is not viable, I suggest something on the line of RR6:
Code:
RR12 ( name still to be found )

- No vassals
- Domination and Culture wins disabled
- Win by conquest
- Our troops can't leave our territory ( except to cover for settlers )

Some of the people with more years in the SG area might recognize the variant as the same of the RB29 games ( 4 teams in the warlords days that tried to do all the exact same variant ... only one of them was able to do it ), but I wanted to do it with the twist of doing it all via espionage power ( the good ol' spread culture espionage mission ). I am not sure if it will be easier or harder than the RB29 aproach, that was all pure culture based ...

So, what do you think?

Awesome! :D We can attack a city if we do it from a tile culturally controlled by us, right? Mmm, that must be the whole idea, I guess...

Giggles again? ;)

Awesome! :D We can attack a city if we do it from a tile culturally controlled by us, right? Mmm, that must be the whole idea, I guess...

Giggles again? ;)
Yup , we can attack a city from a tile of ours ... if we don't capture the city with that attack. We will surely need that to break the stacks the AI drops in the cities to avoid the revolts ...

I think that gigles is the man for the job ( or the 2/3 god :p ). Even better if we can get the GW ;)

Seems like we can play a quasi-culture game. Maybe setup our GP farm to farm Great Artists for culture bombs, while the rest of the empire focuses on espionage.

Code:
RR12 ( name still to be found )

- No vassals
- Domination and Culture wins disabled
- Win by conquest
- Our troops can't leave our territory ( except to cover for settlers )

Some of the people with more years in the SG area might recognize the variant as the same of the RB29 games ( 4 teams in the warlords days that tried to do all the exact same variant ... only one of them was able to do it ), but I wanted to do it with the twist of doing it all via espionage power ( the good ol' spread culture espionage mission ). I am not sure if it will be easier or harder than the RB29 aproach, that was all pure culture based ...

So, what do you think?

One of my favorite SGs that I got the chance to participate in. Thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane.

Link if anybody wants to read through the old effort.

WOW - you might tempt to play another SG if you do that theme.

BIG suggestion - have a third party check the map. I couple of island can really ruin it for you.

Good to see you both , pindicator and LK. LK, you are more than welcome to play if you want to ... a experienced SG player is always welcome ;) Pindicator, thank you for the nostalgia lane myself ... I just got a peek in the D team thread you linked and, god, a lot of people I don't see so much nowadays ;)

But i think that some of the tricks people used there will not be needed/will be innefective if you use espionage. The culture of the espionage city is applied directly in the target city, so there is less need for settling in oposition like most of the people had to do in the RB games. The biggest downside of using espionage is that you can only start gearing it seriously later in the game than the culture aproach .... and there is no Sistine for espionage ;) And OFC, LK, I will make sure that we will have a pangea game :D

Anyway, back to this one, I was expecting to see lymond to update the report. As it looks that lymond didn't done that yet, I'll try to play today.

It could be forum down problems Rolo. I had the same problems all last night from 6p.m. (BST) until well past midnight.

Sorry, Rolo. I added a few more notes and some screenshots, but I wrote a longer report originally than I had planned at the time. Not a whole lot to add really. I do need to get better about taking notes and shots during the turnset.

I think we can make an offensive on HRE next turn, with the fleet in Athens to hit Rome and the stack in Visegrad to hit HRE further north.

The stack in Moscow could use more upgrades, but there should be enough there to move the advance units into the action. Keep enough units in Moscow though to keep the revolt risk below 1% or 0 - how advanced the fortified units are impacts this risk I believe.

We are pretty good on Railroads. I have a few workers auto-routing. I have some in the north building a route to Etruscan, but that city and New Sarai need some improving. However, I would have a worker route to Moscow and Danzig for faster movement across the north.

Check the queues of cities around Turkey. 1 city has a Granary at 1 turn but I'm waiting for the food bucket to hit half full.

Top Bottom