What is the most balanced warmonger civ?

Problem is (at least single player) melee units take such a back seat to range. In III, tanks were king htting cities. Now I just blast cities down to zero, then walk in and claim. I have to try England.

Thanks a lot for the replies, I tried arabia, but think the keshiks transition better than camels, as they get a ton of experience thanks to quick study. I play on immortal mostly, though I can beat diety (I just dont like having to waste a lot of time on clearing an entire continent worth of units).

I have to say the Arabian camel archers are just awesome. I did an immortal domination victory where these things could even mow down riflemen and artillery. Just incredible. Key is don't let them die and when they are like level 10 or 11, you will NOT want to upgrade them to cavalry. And they do promote easily, especially if you skip cavalry (you'll get more xp for ranged double attacks that do less damage than do more modern units).
I was able to conquer cities with 70 defence with nothing but 4 camel archers and a single musketman. The camels would do 20 or more damage per turn on the cities at that level.

And even though the camel archers appear to have the 'wrong' promotions for later upgrading them to landships, what that actually does is while you attack, you can have three levels of attack bonuses and then on top of that you build shock or drill. Yes, you can get six levels of attack promotions on camels upgraded to landships/tanks. You can see when attacking with your landship-formerly-camel that you are still benefitting from their ranged attack bonus.
So when they are tanks, they have two attacks per turn, all with 6 attack promotions and maybe a bonus against wounded.
Camels - possibly the best UU in the game.

China in MultiPlayer always wins, just keep producing Chu-Ko-Noobs. They can get Great Generals extremely fast with that two hit and Great Generals give an extra bonus to them thanks to their unique ability. If they go honor they're already getting that bonus as you only need one social policy after the opener to get it.

Then you have the Paper Maker which gives two GPT, a three GPT difference from the library which is one maintenance. If they get Great Libary, just quit, even if you have the Great wall, castles, it doesn't matter, they'll either GG your lands or mass spam those Chu-Ko-Noobs.

The Huns is very good for Horse Rush and sometimes they can get incredibly lucky and get a ruin with their warrior which will give it a Battering Ram, they can easily just snipe a capital with it, Cover I and 300% attack bonus? Seriously...? And that is a Spearmen replacement, anyone second city is dead because of this unit. You only need one of them in very early game. Horse Archers are also extremely OP and different to the Chariot Archer in every way possible. First off, the name, Horse Archer. HORSE. The Wheel? WTF? It should replace the Horsemen at Horseback Riding. It gets Accuracy I, extra range strength, extra defense strength, does not lose all of it's movement points in Rough Terrain like the Chariot Archer. And to top it all off? They start with Animal Husbandry AND their pastures get one extra production, they're a ridiculously overpowered civilization until the Renissance. Especially if they go down the Honor route. You can't compare nothing to The Huns in early game, any civilization is laughed at compared to them.

I recently played fall of Rome Scenario as the Huns. Both the Byzantines, Rome, and Persia have pretty decent units. Ballista, Legion, Dromon, Cataphract, Immortal however the Huns mowed through them like so much paper. On top of the aforementioned benefits, as a barb civ in the scenario they have +2 movement to all units and no unit cost. I built some basic production/growth buildings to get that capitol growing and producing rapidly and was pouring out 1 horse archer or horseman a turn for the rest of the game. I burned most cities but kept ones with 2 luxuries or high gold output and they were intermediary producers to replace/bolster my siege units. I had about 8 battering rams, 7 catapults, 8 triremes, 30 horse archers, and 10 horsemen by the end of the game. I was demolishing cities in about 1-2 turns on 3-4 fronts. Completely annihilated Persia and most of the Byzantines in 70 turns (about half of the large world). They are unstoppable in that scenario. Shame it's so short, 30 more turns and I probably could've wiped out every city on the planet. The juggernaut just grew with time. They are kinda OP with the huge nerfs to happiness/gold that the civilized civs start with. your first 15 turns as the Romans you're just trying to prevent disorder/growth and deleting crappy roads that are costing you a fortune.

Top Bottom