Win 7 and XP (64 bit) civ 2 MGE and TOT issues (Fix inside!!)

Civ-2 2.42 will not work because it is a 16 bit program that can't run on a 64 bit system. Bummer, it is my favorite. I hate the hostile ai on mge.

You need civ2-MGE. Apply the latest patch to MGE, then run the mastermind patch and you should be good.

Here's where I'm at - Win7 x64bit; Civ2MGE installed from oem disk; MGE patched with civiimge_uccupdate3.exe; then ran Mastermind's Civ2XP64Patcher.exe.

I can play! Nice. Problems remaining:

(1) AI is short, brutish and nasty. I've read about the patch for the AI, but couldn't find the download. Also geofelt states above that it doesn't work after applying the previous patches. Someone got a link? I'm willing to reinstall everything if necessary.

(2) Videos, such as the advisors, wonders, etc., don't work. I tried the ffdshow mentioned above. No effect. Uninstalled it. Anyone else got a solution?

(3) Won't play unless disk is in drive. Any way around this?

Regards.

Thanks Gorter.

(1) Applied the patch without reinstalling everything first... AI seems less hostile, but I haven't played long enough to tell for sure.

(2) Works.

(3) I kinda figured.

Does this patch just let me run the game or does it install the game?
Cause I'm running vista 64 and when I stick in the CD it says "The version of this program is incompatible with your version of windows" or something to that effect and won't let me install the game.

(3) Won't play unless disk is in drive. Any way around this?
There's a no-CD crack for MGE. Download link here. You'll have to play around with your installation order again, eg, original MGE installation, official MGE patch, no-CD crack, hostile AI fix, MastermindX's 64-bit compatibility patcher. I don't use MGE, so I can't tell you how that lot will work out.

Does this patch just let me run the game or does it install the game?
Cause I'm running vista 64 and when I stick in the CD it says "The version of this program is incompatible with your version of windows" or something to that effect and won't let me install the game.
The patcher allows you to run 32-bit versions of Civ2 (MGE and ToT) on 64-bit versions of XP, Vista and 7. You won't be able to install 16-bit versions (vanilla, CiC and FW) on a 64-bit OS. To install and run 16-bit versions, you'll need some kind of virtualisation software, such as Windows Virtual PC, VMware or VirtualBox.

I've been trying to installing and play Civ II but I simply can't get to the install process. I've been trying to run the Setup from the CD but it always has the popup message of "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher." I don't know if the patcher in this thread is able to fix that, but I haven't had any luck getting anywhere past that error message.

If your disk contains version 2.42 or lower, my understanding is that it will not install on a 64 bit operating system. I found the multiplayer gold edition ("MGE") on ebay. It works with the patches; and play is the same as the original.

Please forgive my ignorance, I've read the posts and it seems clear but I just thought I'd confirm my fear:

I have Civ II and just bought a computer with Windows 7 Pro. It won't let me do anything when I try to install. I get a window that says "not compatible"..."64-bit", etc. Is it possible to install my favorite game of all time on my computer or not? Also, I don't know how to tell what version it is and I don't know what "MGE" and "TOT" are. Mine just says "Civilization II, Civilization Has Reached New Heights".

Thanks,

Sounds like vanilla Civ2. Well, this'll be the third time in the last 5 posts: you can't install 16-bit versions of Civ2 natively on a 64-bit OS. However, you're in luck. Windows 7 Professional supports Windows XP Mode. Because I'm lazy, I'll quote myself from another thread at Apolyton:
Catfish said:
If it came to the crunch, you could always use Windows Virtual PC to run Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 – a pretty straightforward process if you have Windows 7 Professional or higher. Your hardware also needs to support virtualisation. It allows you to run a Windows XP environment inside Windows 7. You’d start up Windows XP Mode just like any other application, and install and play Civ2 inside the application window.
Windows XP Mode is easy to install and requires no additional licence. You can even run programs installed in the XP environment directly from the Start menu in Windows 7.

Civ 2.42 is the 16 bit version. It was originally created to run on 16 bit DOS. 16 bit programs will run on a 32 bit OS, but not on a 64 bit os. I tried XP mode in windows-7 a while back, and civ 2.42 would run, but with unacceptable lagging and stuttering. I think it was because of how civ 2.42 executes cpu instructions continuously while waiting for input.

Civ 2 MGE(multiplayer gold edition) will run on a 64 bit system after applying the unofficial patch found elsewhere on this forum. Unfortunately, MGE altered the AI so that it is always hostile, making it no fun to play. I have yet to find a patch to fix the AI that is compatible with the 64 bit patch.

Too bad, civ 2.42 is my all time favorite game. I have resorted to a dual 32/64 boot system to play it.

I tried XP mode in windows-7 a while back, and civ 2.42 would run, but with unacceptable lagging and stuttering. I think it was because of how civ 2.42 executes cpu instructions continuously while waiting for input.
What about installing vanilla Civ2 in Wndows XP Mode, converting it to MGE, applying the no-CD crack, applying the hostile AI fix and then launching it with Till's CPU Throttle?

I found the multiplayer gold edition ("MGE") on ebay. It works with the patches; and play is the same as the original.
Does this imply that the hostile AI fix works?

just wanted to say thanks for this patch
works great with my windows 7 64 bit Multiplayer gold. i had to use the windows xp mode to install then just copy it from there to my c drive. cant get scenarios to work right though. but no big deal civ2 was the goal. i had to change the civ2.exe to xp compatibility mode for it to play the game intro and have the council work so the only thing is the in game music but if you just play your cd with media player will fix that problem just cant change music in game just alt tab to media player lol. anyways thanks again great fix.

Never make peace with your enemy. They will overrun your boarders and you will have to buy their units to get rid of them unless they have democracy and then you are stuck with them. Just keep playing until you are better than any one else. = Hostile AI resolution.

this works with classic CivII? The reason i ask is my original CD is cracked in half, and ive been using a backup for years, but the original game doesnt require a CD to play the game, but when i patched to MGE it wouldnt let me play, so its gonna be good for 2.42

""Out of lazyness (after all, I DID become a programmer because I was lazy) I wrote a little program to automatically patch any civ2 version you can encounter. Saving me the trouble of patching all those versions individually. ^_^

You can find that little executable at

http://pages.videotron.ca/masterx/civ2xp64patcher.zip ""

cant make it work with my tot version, it just says:
Backup completed
Searching for patch location
ERROR : Patch location not found.
No process found

it's proberly me cause im such a dorky with computers, i have vista 64 but i dunno what version of tot it is.

i forgot to mention that i get to start the game but it crahes as i build the first city

My patcher is not able to patch versions bought from Direct2Drive or other custom versions. They use a compression/encryption algorythm, and I don't really want to spend countless hours to crack it.

What you can do is start the game first, then ALT+TAB to the patcher and use the "Patch process" functionality. This will patch the application directly in memory.

I can't thank you enough!!!!

THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

Top Bottom