Diplomats but no tech stealing

tenth8sphere

Chieftain
I have just started playing BNW. I normally turn off espionage because I dislike the tech stealing, etc. However, now that there is a world congress I can't see any info on other civs or negotiate votes. I'm not seeing anything clearly marked for that kind of diplomacy, so I'm guessing that disabling espionage also disabled world congress diplomacy.

If that's the case, can anyone recommend a way to disable tech stealing without disabling world congress stuff? I'm open to mod ideas, or suggestions if I'm making stupid mistake.

Thanks much. :confused:

Well, if all you're interested in is having spies but not allowing tech stealing, in theory you could create a mod that gives the Palace a 100% espionage bonus. (Look at the xml around Great Firewall)
But that would put the poor AI at a major disadvantage as it probably would try to steal techs anyway even with it being impossible.

Just play with spies, put your first one in the capital and use the rest as diplomats.

Well, if all you're interested in is having spies but not allowing tech stealing, in theory you could create a mod that gives the Palace a 100% espionage bonus. (Look at the xml around Great Firewall)
But that would put the poor AI at a major disadvantage as it probably would try to steal techs anyway even with it being impossible.

Interesting. Could you give me a little more info? I've not modded civ but I have done simple more in other games like total war. I found the palace in the buildings XML but not the wonder. Does every city have a palace? So all my cities would have the benefit? Make sense. Where can I find the wonder and how do I copy that ability over? Thanks. This solution seems perfect.

Interesting. Could you give me a little more info? I've not modded civ but I have done simple more in other games like total war. I found the palace in the buildings XML but not the wonder. Does every city have a palace? So all my cities would have the benefit? Make sense. Where can I find the wonder and how do I copy that ability over? Thanks. This solution seems perfect.

Since the Great Firewall was introduced in G&K, it should be a file with _inhertenedExpansion (after fixing whatever typo I made)

But note that you also need to be in the correct directory for moding. For BNW, that's a subdirectory of dlc\expansion2.

The beauty of Great Firewall is it shows what the xml is to have both the xml tag for the city itself and what the xml tag is for every other city in your empire.
(Along with the xml tag to take effect instantly) so it's a good sample for whatever you want. See Police Station, Constable, and NIA for less extreme spy examples.

Palace is indeed only in you capital.

Also, you'll need to backup your mod in some directory that steam doesn't know about, because if there is another patch to Civ V and the developers made any change to the specific XML file(s) you mod, steam will overwrite without warning.

Since the Great Firewall was introduced in G&K, it should be a file with _inhertenedExpansion (after fixing whatever typo I made)

But note that you also need to be in the correct directory for moding. For BNW, that's a subdirectory of dlc\expansion2.

The beauty of Great Firewall is it shows what the xml is to have both the xml tag for the city itself and what the xml tag is for every other city in your empire.
(Along with the xml tag to take effect instantly) so it's a good sample for whatever you want. See Police Station, Constable, and NIA for less extreme spy examples.

Palace is indeed only in you capital.

Also, you'll need to backup your mod in some directory that steam doesn't know about, because if there is another patch to Civ V and the developers made any change to the specific XML file(s) you mod, steam will overwrite without warning.

Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. With your help above I managed to locate it and rather than modify it into another building I just adjusted the global modifier from -25 to -100. So now if I rush the global firewall I can end the spying harassment for late game.

I really appreciate you taking the time!

Top Bottom