Advancing to Emperor with Minor Civs?

Onionsoilder

Reaver
I seem to have encountered a problem. For a while I've been playing Monarch and doing fairly well, usually winning around 70% of my games. However, as I made the jump to Emperor, I have become stuck. Most Emperor games say that you need to either REX or rush in the beginning to secure enough land, then focus on expanding. However, I can't REX, because one of my neighboring civs will always make a SoD and take a good 2-3 of my cities, no matter how well I defend them. If I try a rush, I can take a good 2-3 cities myself, but then they always revolt(due to the distance and lack of connection to capitol), leaving me with practically no cities.

Anyone have some advice for making this jump?

Maybe try to build up enough cash to pay off rebelling cities? That can buy you time, to keep them you'll need religion and a quick connection to your capital. You need to keep the cities religiously pure, happy, small population, and start to build culture from religious buildings.

You may need to go after a close civ who founded a religion to meet these requirement. Hereditary Rule is also a big help, load tons of troops into unruly cities to get happiness and garrison bonuses. If you have a city with enough production you can try moving your capital.

Try different densities of starting civs too, it may be easier starting with more civs in the world if you need to attack a close player early.

If you can't avoid heading for civil war and know that you'll lose cities, your best bet is to pull your troops out, let the rebels take the cities, then focus on retaking the important ones. It will be tough, but if you can re-grab the production centers the rebels won't be able to build units fast enough. Also, re-capturing a city from the rebels really crushes the citizens spirits ... it's nearly a complete reset of the revolution fervor in the city.

Please post whatever ideas you come up with.

Top Bottom