ROTQM10: Raging Over the Quarreling Mountains

IIRC I'm up next, so got it.

Good turns, Oz.

I have to disagree on keeping Evora though. It's surrounded by hills ~ perhaps building a new city 1E of it, and that will most likely take the brunt of further assaults from Genghis and anyone else to the west of us.

I agree on the rest of Mysty's plan, esp regarding forges adn stables. And, looks like we've got a new Fox with all the :whipped: :) ;)

pholkhero
ozbenno >> just played
LKendter >> UP NOW and has it
rolo >> on deck
pigswill
mystyfly

Glad to be of service pholk :p

I don't mean to offend anyone I merely mean to point out what I'd do differently...

1110 AD
I set guilds as the short-term tech. Picking up feudalism along the way doesn't hurt.
How in the world does Joao have a sword near Moscow?
I don't understand why our medic chariot is sitting in Coimbra as the only defender.

1120 AD
I razed Evora. I really don't want a city at our empire edge surrounded by hills. I can be rebuilt either one west as a choke point vs. the AI, or one east to reclaim the clams. We do get $115 for our troubles. That is another turn of 100% science.
(IT) We lost those two exposed axes outside Coimbra that pillaged the ivory.

1130 AD
We have nothing due next turn, so I make the revolt to Taoism. We can use the extra happiness.

1140 AD
(IT) Alex adopts vassalage. At least one AI has feudalism.

1170 AD
Coimbra looks like it is going to be a major headache, and the new AI focus. Ragnar now has a decent stack in Oporto.

1190 AD
(IT) We get crap from the RnG and lose a lot in Coimbra. The good news is Ragnar is left with a few injured units. We are safe for now.

1200 AD
We have another GG - going to become a MI in Moscow.

1220 AD
Our catapults understand the concept of retreat well, and none of them die assaulting Leiria.
We burn it to the ground and get $89 for our troubles.

Summary:
Yaroslavl' is building missionaries. We can use the extra culture in cities, and the extra happy person. First target should be Coimbra. We need to build up cultural defense.

There is a stack of 4 units, and 2 workers near the southern choke point. A road network is already being built that way, and the fort isn't that far away.

I don't know if we really want to build Hanging Gardens, but I left in in the queue behind a forge in Rostov since I inherited starting to be built.

Khan stack just appeared west of St. Petersburg.
Our offensive stack is pulling inside our borders to heal and do deal with this stack if needed.

pholkhero
ozbenno
LKendter >> just played
rolo >> UP NOW
pigswill >> on deck
mystyfly

We found the Portuguese capital. That is a LOT of food. :eek:

Good turns Lee. I agree on Evora, too. As i said, I think IE of its former spot is the place to put the new city.

Glad to be of service pholk :p

I don't mean to offend anyone I merely mean to point out what I'd do differently...

no worries from me ~ every SG needs a Whipmaster General :nod:

Well done on the razing front. Lisbon seems like a keeper. Did Machinery come in for our maces and crossbows?
Yep, we already got Machinery in, and one whipped mace for the southern fort coming soon.

More should arrive after St. Pete finishes it forge.

Got it.

I agree with 1 E . It basically closes our western flank with a good defensible city. WIll try to make that happen in my set, but it depends of the cooperation of GK :/

On the north ... I suppose we should raze Oporto ( decent city at best, not worth keeping as a front one ) ... and next ? The Portuguese or the Viking cap ? Both are keepers ... and Nidaros actually closer of us.

Techwise ... i don't see any reason to go out of Guilds path.

The only thing i do not understand is why we have a city in forced stagnation below happy cap ...

The only thing i do not understand is why we have a city in forced stagnation below happy cap ...
Hmmm... Not sure which one that is. Only guess is one that whip anger just reduced.

We will not finish either of them in my set anyway :p I would prefer to have some knights first as a floating defense, though ... atleast until we have a solid defense vs western attacks.

i don't know that we need the floating defense all that much. for the most part, any defense we need will be against stacks i would think. Though having the knights will be good for seige equipment, there's no guarantee they'll w/draw and not die, thus losing us the hammers.

i think my vote is engineering before guilds.

Didn't check the save yet but from the report, it looks good.

ozbenno said:
I would think detouring to Engineering first (trebs and pikes) would be worthwhile before Guilds. Trebs and maces with pike/xbow support will rip through at the moment.
I think detouring to engineering is worthwhile but pretty much only for the reason not yet presented here - the movement. In that regard I also agree with rolo, some knights are a good idea, though as defences...? Mounties aren't good at that, at all ;) We should get out a ring of spies outside our borders to detect AI stacks - call it an alarm system. Don't place them in cities to reduce risk to be captured. But with that intel we should be able to defend properly and with proper units.

i like the spy-alarm system. For now, we may only need them to the west, and perhaps down south by the sea.

Note that when I said defense, I was not thinking on garrisons ;) I was thinking on a cleanup force...

Anyway, I'll play tonight. Not sure if will post it ... depends on the hour I play :p

South by the sea should be meaningless soon. Rolo can finish the fort his turn.

Top Bottom