Beyond Sid

It might have affected your "prevent contact" strategy because the Curragh is in the game (although the delay in contact trading might have balanced it out).

It would have helped me far more than it would the AI.

If the AI was connected by coastal tiles, or separated by just 1 sea tile, then yes, they could contact each other. This map didn't have any of those situations, I don't think. Curraghs can only move 2 tiles (I would not have allowed any seafaring AI civs).

The AI does not use 'suicide' galleys or curraghs. I could have contacted all the civs without researching mapmaking, and through having the trade opportunities from that I would not have needed to build the Great Library. I wouldn't have had to research anything at all.

Before astronomy/navigation, the only way the AI got contact with each other was from Egypt who built the Great Lighthouse.

I know you said earlier, but I can't find where it says how to make this map. Can you tell me the page number?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you!

For some reason though, it doesn't seem to work in the Conquests editor (probably becuase of Volcanos and Marshes, but the whole map is different). Oh well.

I've not checked over in this forum lately, but glad I caught this one...

WOW!! :D

When one begins to think that he's a bit on the insane side, it's always good to know that there's always someone who is considerably further along on the insane spectrum! :hammer:

I find it odd that folks think 200 hours extremely long. That's just a good stretch of the legs! With a map this size and with so many units, it would have taken me 300-400 easy (well... you know what I mean -- I don't think I could have pulled this one off :p )

Hats off to ya! :goodjob:
Charis

Charis, the "difficulty" to this scenario is more identifying at game setup time and during the course of play the appropriate set of elements in the scenario that renders the obscene AI production advantages irrelevant, more than the actual execution. I have no doubt you (or a number of other top players) could pull it off, providing that you were willing to put in the time investment. Not to take away from BamSpeedy's win as he did an excellent job of taking advantage of the game AI's limitations, but I can think of a number of examples of civ3 feats that I find equally impressive, including your Celtic Christmas tale.

Excellent game, BamSpeedy, congratulations! Obviously an incredible feat, and even more so for the patience factor, 100+ bombard attacks/turn would drive me nuts, not to mention taking the time to RECORD it all, for our benefit!!!! Thanks, that probably accounted for 50 hours of that game time!

Bamspeedy are you thinking about having a beyond Sid 2 in C3C where the AI bonus will twice as much as this time.

Originally posted by Coke_Cola
Bamspeedy are you thinking about having a beyond Sid 2 in C3C where the AI bonus will twice as much as this time.

Well, there can be double the units on the map, and he could raise AI unit support, play pangaea map. But making them build twice as fast isnt possible. It's already at the max.

I say double units on the map, let the AI start with around fourty units, give them huge amounts of support, but play on the same map, and make sure you start on that same island! The extra advantages he gives the AI should be balanced by pushed back contact trading, and map trading, and the Curragh. Like the idea Bamspeedy?

Bam i challenge you :)

j/k like a million times

Let me add my praises to the already long list of the flattering crowds.

As you said, you might not be the best of all players, Bamspeedy, but if you're not, then you're the next thing to it.

I'll immediatly leaving to read and worship once more the sacred words of your strategies.

:worship:

Hail Bamspeedy, those who revere you salute you!
In Bamspeedy we trust!
All glory to Bamspeedy!
Long live Bamspeedy!
God save Bamspeedy!
Hail Bamspeedy, vanquisher of all AIs, blesséd art Thou and blesséd art Thy sacred bibles of strategies.

:worship:

(Now what a bootlicker.... LOL!!!!)

Dragon.Jade

Wow

That sounds totally INTENSE!!! I'm not much up for AI challenges, I like Chieftain just because you can steamroll the AIs with Modern Armor, but this just reminds me that I should try something a little more challenging. A Question: Could you have done that again with some other government type other then Monarchy? And a suggestion: keep units on all those islands to prevent the AIs from settling there (You might have been doing this, but I didn't notice it, I generally do this, or even better, settle those islands yourself, and rush things with money like mad!!!)

Anyway, very cool, be neat to see that again with Conquests.

I went for conquest because that is usually the victory condition that most strongly symbolizes that you are in *control* of the AI. On some maps and difficulty levels you can get a culture/domination win without fighting a single battle.

I could have won this game by culture, domination, conquest, or histographic. For the UN, I would have had to get the tech pace sped up a little bit and have a very lucky/well-timed pre-build.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
I went for conquest because that is usually the victory condition that most strongly symbolizes that you are in *control* of the AI.

ie you wanted to really "stick it" to the AI. That is what I thought was probably the case. You did too, well done.

The only proper thing to say about this game is "holy crap." (Well, actually, much worse words were uttered when I said it, but I'm not sure of the mods' banhappiness over here yet ;) ;) ;) )

In defence of the pride of the rest of the civ3 community, this game isn't so much a skills test as an endurance contest (200 HOURS!), but the game still proves that you're one of the best. Good job :b: :b: :b:

In Multiplayer, you wouldn't have an AI to manipulate like that, and the human competitors would be smarter.

However, the game was correctly described as "insane". IIRC, you were up to killing 100s units/turn for a while...simply awe-inspiring. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Congratulations for beating incredible odds. Now, the community is looking forward to your Double-Beyond Sid + Pangea game ;)

Top Bottom