Yet Another Unaltered Gameplay Mod

RameNoodle said:
I haven't downloaded this mod, but, with Alerum's, you could simply replace the custom assets folder from the Civ 4 folder with the folder of the same name from the Alerum's modpack folder. I'm not sure if this will work for this mod, but it might.
Also, this allows the modpack to be the default interface with the game; that way, you don't have to load the mod each time you want to play.

Yes, absolutely. My instructions include that configuration as well, along with even a 'mixed' configuration. The fact that I am trying to get it to work no matter how you prefer to install it is one of the strengths of this mod. That has taken a lot of work, most of the mods I have merged wanted to insist on one configuration or the other. Ruff's, for example, only worked in CustomAssets. IMHO, the only 'wrong' configuration is when you overwrite your original game files, or any previous mod files.

The advantage of CustomAssets is not that it runs without "loading a mod", there are several ways of setting that up. The advantage is that your games are not stamped with a mod name. That is of particular use in unaltered mods and in SGs, since there is no reason to force the use of a mod when you load the game next time.

The disadvantage is that you cannot use "Lock Modified Assets", i.e. no cheating, and that you have to be a bit careful to avoid save game inconsistencies. With this mod so far, there are no real incompatibilities, but that may change if I ever decide to add an SDK mod.

i still dont get it..

if i want to put this mod as a "default" mod, wich files do i need to copy to the CustomAssets directory? since i have a few .ini files and a "Assets" directory;;

do i copy the .ini to the customassets directory too? or all files inside the Assets directory?

What about MP games? will it crash if i do this to play a Pbem game that its already going on? Will it have any incompatibilities whith others players when starting a new game? What would happen if the Locked Modified Assets is on at the server?

Sorry about too many questions, but i really liked your mod and id like to make it default on my CIV

phbreng said:
i still dont get it..

if i want to put this mod as a "default" mod, wich files do i need to copy to the CustomAssets directory? since i have a few .ini files and a "Assets" directory;;

do i copy the .ini to the customassets directory too? or all files inside the Assets directory?

What about MP games? will it crash if i do this to play a Pbem game that its already going on? Will it have any incompatibilities whith others players when starting a new game? What would happen if the Locked Modified Assets is on at the server?

Sorry about too many questions, but i really liked your mod and id like to make it default on my CIV

If you just want this to be your default mod, install normally and set the "MOD=" line in your Civilization4.ini in your user folder.

If you want to use CustomAssets, which is compatible with your existing savegames created without any mods, but cannot use "Lock Modified Assets", then copy the contents of Assets to CustomAssets, and put the files just outside of Assets (the ini files) just outside of CustomAssets (your user folder).

Non hotseat / PBEM MP games may cause out of sync errors, don't try those.

For hotseat / PBEM / succession games, using "Lock Modified Assets" will result in the requirement that the other players have and use exactly the same mod with the same settings. Not really recommended unless you don't trust them at all.

Edit: When I say PBEM, I mean the traditional kind, where you actually email the savegame. I have no idea about Pitboss. You would have to try that yourself. Also, I don't think simultaneous turns would work.

How do I enable the Enhanced Military Advisor included in this pack and retain all the other features?

Thank you.

Ken

kflorian said:
How do I enable the Enhanced Military Advisor included in this pack and retain all the other features?

Thank you.

Ken

Sorry, that mod was included in version 1.2.0, which is still not online yet at 3D Downloads for some unknown reason. It isn't supposed to take more than 24 hours. I just finally got it up on Filefront, which was giving me error messages all day.

Edit: It's up now.

Gaurav,

Thank you for your fine work on this mod....just what I needed!

Regards,

Ken

the name creation mods don't seem to work, or maybe i'm misunderstanding how they do work. When a new unit comes up, is it supposed to say something besides just "Archer" or "Warrior" ?

Vorgen said:
the name creation mods don't seem to work, or maybe i'm misunderstanding how they do work. When a new unit comes up, is it supposed to say something besides just "Archer" or "Warrior" ?

You have to enable the naming mod you want in the RuffMod.ini file.

Teg_Navanis said:
You have to enable the naming mod you want in the RuffMod.ini file.

Hi, Teg. Does this mean you've tried out my mod?

Vorgen said:

Vorgen, did checking if the mod was enabled in the RuffMod.ini file work for you?

Yep, I tried it, and it is quite comfortable to play. I didn't try the naming mods though, so it was just guesswork that changing the ini values will help. If Vorgen did change them and the naming mods are indeed broken: sorry, my bad ;)

Teg_Navanis said:
Yep, I tried it, and it is quite comfortable to play. I didn't try the naming mods though, so it was just guesswork that changing the ini values will help. If Vorgen did change them and the naming mods are indeed broken: sorry, my bad ;)

No problem. It's just that the supplied RuffMod.ini with version 1.2.0 should have enabled it by default. That's why I am worried the mod isn't finding it. Which may mean another path bug...

Next version I'll set up the method option to default to 2 or something instead of 0 when the RuffMod.ini file isn't found.

yes, I enabled it in the Ruffmod.ini file. It was already set to 2. I set it to other options but they didnt' seem to work either. Not even the borg one :(.

Vorgen said:
yes, I enabled it in the Ruffmod.ini file. It was already set to 2. I set it to other options but they didnt' seem to work either. Not even the borg one :(.

Most likely then it doesn't find RuffMod.ini. Okay, let's see what the path problem is.

First, which installation instructions from post 2 (or the Readme) did you use? CustomAssets or MODS/Assets? Did you follow the instructions exactly? Was the directory empty? Did you overwrite any files? Did you have a previous version of this, Ruff's or HOF mod installed? Is CustomAssets empty now?

Let me know the exact complete path to each of:
RuffMod.ini
CvModName.py

Make sure there is one and only one copy of RuffMod.ini in all of your Civ4 directories.

What are your game settings: single or multiplayer? If multiplayer, what type? If single player, is "Lock Modified Assets" on?

Are you using the RuffMod.ini and CvModName.py as originally supplied with the mod? If not, could you upload your copy?

Do your best to answer everything. Thanks.

Gaurav said:
Most likely then it doesn't find RuffMod.ini. Okay, let's see what the path problem is.

I changed one variable in RuffMod.ini to get the "Press ENTER" dialog back to the bottom of the screen and it worked, so at least some of RuffMod.ini is working correctly.

Gaurav said:
First, which installation instructions from post 2 (or the Readme) did you use? CustomAssets or MODS/Assets?

I first used MODS/Assets then switched to CustomAssets, it didn't work either time.

Gaurav said:
Did you follow the instructions exactly? Was the directory empty? Did you overwrite any files? Did you have a previous version of this, Ruff's or HOF mod installed? Is CustomAssets empty now?

I think the best answer to these questions is that I renamed my CustomAssets folder and reinstalled this on a clean CustomAssets folder. My first warrior still came up as "Warrior". The other gameplay modifications are still present so I am assuming that at least some of the mod works and that I installed it correctly.

In my previous customassets folder I had the Blue Marble terrain and Regiments installed in addition to this.

Gaurav said:
Let me know the exact complete path to each of:
RuffMod.ini
CvModName.py

F:\Documents and Settings\mateomiguel\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\RuffMod.ini
F:\Documents and Settings\mateomiguel\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\python\CvModName.py

Gaurav said:
Make sure there is one and only one copy of RuffMod.ini in all of your Civ4 directories.

Check. only one.

Gaurav said:
What are your game settings: single or multiplayer? If multiplayer, what type? If single player, is "Lock Modified Assets" on?
Single player, Lock Modified Assets is off.

Gaurav said:
Are you using the RuffMod.ini and CvModName.py as originally supplied with the mod? If not, could you upload your copy?

Yes, I'm using the original ones.

Vorgen said:
F:\Documents and Settings\mateomiguel\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\RuffMod.ini
F:\Documents and Settings\mateomiguel\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\CustomAssets\python\CvModName.py

Gillmer J. Derge's ini parser usually doesn't work in the CustomAssets directory. Try installing it to

F:\Documents and Settings\mateomiguel\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS\whatevernameyouwant\

The assets folder should then look like this:

F:\Documents and Settings\mateomiguel\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS\whatevernameyouwant\Assets

Teg_Navanis said:
Gillmer J. Derge's ini parser usually doesn't work in the CustomAssets directory. Try installing it to

F:\Documents and Settings\mateomiguel\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS\whatevernameyouwant\

The assets folder should then look like this:

F:\Documents and Settings\mateomiguel\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS\whatevernameyouwant\Assets

Ruff had set up UnitNameEventManager.py to use the HOF parser. (configobj.py accessed through RuffModControl.py) In any case, the version of CvConfigParser.py I have searches the parent of each directory in the entire assets path generated in CvPath.py. Feel free to use it in your mod if you'd like.

I am going to give Vorgen some stuff to try this evening when I get home from work.

Top Bottom