World War II in the Pacific

I try to balance scenarios for optimal play at the level where the AI doesn't get ridiculous bonuses (noble - prince), so I will be changing the code to make it tougher against the AI Allies.

The hard part in any scenario such as this is that the AI is very bad at fighting, and even more so with naval wars. So I will have to program additional reinforcements for Britain and America if you really hit them hard. It's not too unrealistic, I suppose -- one can easily imagine the U.S. diverting more units from the European theater if the Japanese had actually advanced on Midway and Hawaii, and were driving them back to the West Coast.

I try to balance scenarios for optimal play at the level where the AI doesn't get ridiculous bonuses (noble - prince), so I will be changing the code to make it tougher against the AI Allies.

The hard part in any scenario such as this is that the AI is very bad at fighting, and even more so with naval wars. So I will have to program additional reinforcements for Britain and America if you really hit them hard. It's not too unrealistic, I suppose -- one can easily imagine the U.S. diverting more units from the European theater if the Japanese had actually advanced on Midway and Hawaii, and were driving them back to the West Coast.

Very true, and I know that Great Britain would have sent more ships over if they had of had time. Canada was actually in the process but the war was over before they needed to.

If you do do that, maybe they should appear by the Panama canal. And then maybe if you are the Japanese you could have it as a minor objective to destroy or hurt the canal, which would then slow down Allied reinforcements (as they have to go the long way around. And you could do that using the I-400 (Like they were going to try to do. :p)

One thing. YOU NEED to make it possible to pillage your own roads. That move is neccesary first step to stem the flow of attack, and is an important step in giving one time to prepare a defence versus superior numbers.

Can you do that in regular Civ 4? I think they disabled it. I might change it, but I don't know how.

(Just tried it in a regular game -- it won't let you do it.)

What if Ships are VERY Expensive (Maybe 3000hammers for example?) and for The Commonwealth/US/Netherlands the main way to get new ones are from Scripting. To make it so the Japanese can build ships at an ok rate, there is a new building (Shipyards?) that triples or more the speed which that city which contains it builds ships.

So any Major shipbuilding City during the war can build them in any of the teams, but of course the Japanese would have the most to start as they have no where to get them anywhere else in the hypothetical world, whereas the Commonwealth/US both have major shipyards in the other parts of the world.

And the Shipyard building would also be very expensive to discourage building it in a ton of places..

So At the start the Japanese would be about 90-10 in favour of building there own ships, the US would be 40-60 in favour of scripting, the UK would be 25-75 in favour of scripting (Not sure how much Australia was involved in shipbuilding during the war), and the Netherlands would at the start be 0-100 in favour of of scripting (So no Shipyards at the start).

Would this be feasible? Did I muddle my words up beyond recognizable recognition?

Going for a quick shower, be back in a bit.

Sounds very interesting. I wish there were a bombardment mod where you could destroy buildings with planes, as you could bomb Japan's cities and destroy their shipyards, taking out their ability to produce more units. Very historical.

A quick question to everyone, as a possibility in the next couple of months: if you like this one, do you think it be worth it if I made a global WW2 scenario, with similar units, events, etc.?

Hmm, kind of like in Civ 3 with bombardment? That would be cool
You probably could but it would take some SDK work. What would be interesting (Coupled with the Shipyard idea) is to have it on like the cultural defence bonus that you can bombard to 0%.
What would happen is that if the enemy had a shipyard (so producing ships at 300%) the Production percentage would be at 100%. If you bombard that Production percentage to 50%, the shipyard would only multiply the speed of ships by 1.5 (Or 150%). The building would never be destroyed per se, but you could get it to work at 0% (So it would multiply shipbuilding by nothing). And of course it capabilities would slowly recover with no bombardment (Like the cultural defence or whatever that is).

Or you could maybe do it this way which would be simpler.
Again you have the production percentage, but instead of it directly translating to the shipyard's production capacity, it represents the shipyards capacity exactly. You would have different buildings that would add to it, so a large shipyard would add %100, a factory maybe %15, a Drydock %50 etc. So with those three things your city would produce ships at a %165 rate.

Edit: On the Entire world WWII, that would be fun, a lot of scripting though!

Nope you can't do that in regular Civ 4. And I do miss it. But yeah, should not be hard to change.

I haven't tried it yet, but this sounds like a really great mod, especially the scripting, which has been lacking in most player creations up to this point. A global scenario would be amazing too.

Hi, I tried to download this file and get a corrupt file or damaged file error? Can anyone help, this looks like a great scenario. thx, tex

Have been start playing the scenario. Very historical with the events :goodjob:

There are places that the map could be improved, though. For example, there are a lot of wasted land near the north pole which could be cut out or compressed. The landscape in various places could be improved, like china and philippines.

If you are willing, I can help modify the map a bit and post it back here. But I would like to finish this game I am as China first.

texastarheel:
You probably need the 7-Zip program to extract the file. (I used this format because it basically cuts the size of the regular Windows .zip format in half, meaning less download time for slower connections.) You can get it for free at 7-zip.org. I probably should've mentioned this in the first post.

Genghis:
The land up north is there for a reason. ;) There are likely to be many more additions later, including the possibility of an extended Alaskan/Canadian campaign if the Japanese invade. A lot of the land in China and the Philippines I had to fudge a little, so as to give the AI reasonable tiles to work with or to make it actually attractive so the Japanese invade. It's a compromise, I admit, but at first they'd always leave the Philippines alone, giving America a huge leverage they shouldn't have. But as a disclaimer, any of the shortcomings were obviously inherited from the Civ 3 map. :D

What improvements do you think I could make to China to make it more balanced (the civ or the map)? In many of my games, the Chinese would always lose too many cities unless I provided them with 'Lend-Lease' aid. More hills/mines for production? More food to take advantage of the guerrilla civic?

What improvements do you think I could make to China to make it more balanced (the civ or the map)? In many of my games, the Chinese would always lose too many cities unless I provided them with 'Lend-Lease' aid. More hills/mines for production? More food to take advantage of the guerrilla civic?

In realty wasn't that what happened? And one of the main reasons they weren't entirely if I remember correctly, was the British/American support.
So far I haven't seen them lose too many, comparative to the losses over all.

Exactly. ;) That's why I did it that way at first. But by the late game they were losing inner cities, like Chungking, and it just went too far. At any rate, this can be cured using scripted AI reinforcements, as a human China should be smart enough to fend off the Japanese on his own.

Gaius, any luck on that pillaging own roads thing? And I'll have a go as China and see if I can't offer advice.

Exactly. ;) That's why I did it that way at first. But by the late game they were losing inner cities, like Chungking, and it just went too far. At any rate, this can be cured using scripted AI reinforcements, as a human China should be smart enough to fend off the Japanese on his own.

I see, I haven't played that far (Jan week 3 1943) and am starting to press on the Japanese in the Saigon area, and holding an army in Guinea I think it is, after taking their two cities there.

Btw, I love that air units can kill, it is almost unfair. :mischief: But that is were flak is coming in handy for the enemy (Shot down one of my bombers. :mad: :lol: ), so maybe that is were the Japanese could use a little help. There air force, it is great mainly, but maybe three or four more fighters for them would be great.

And of course the Navy, I have all but driven theirs from the see, as far as I can sea. And I cannot tell if they are rebuilding it.
Maybe there is still a few surprises to come, but I alone (In Jan 43 no less and as the British) have 4 carriers, 6 or so battleships, 10 cruisers, and a few less destroyers plus a few subs. And each of those carriers has 3 Hurricanes (don't have Spitfires yet, a few turns though, went for airborne warfare hoping to get the GG).
That is not counting my land based RAF, something like 6 bombers, 6 hurricanes and 4 of the other fighter, and that is just in the Singapore area.
I do not know if that is a lot, but it seems a lot to me..

I know that eventually happened, but I would like to see it much harder to build more ships, tight now it is too easy..

Anyways, it is till a lot of fun, and I love taking those cities with no units left from my aerial bombardment. :crazyeye:

That would work well! So the Japanese would get one of there's.. hmm.. Do the Japanese Battleships always start with combat I through V or whatever it was?

This scenario sounds very cool, but I'm using a mac and 7-zip is windows only. Any chance of a regular zip version?

Top Bottom