A Babylon 5 Mod for the Final Frontier Mod

When Sanfam and I were bouncing ideas of each other these were some of the key concepts we developed:

Multiple scenario starts
There would be various scenario starts which the player would select to determine what kind of game they would play. One would be the standard civ-like start for all races where all races are balanced. Another would be the same but without the vorlons/shadows (removing the great war gameplay). The others would incorporate the race imbalances and features and would have various starting points. For example one the humans would have just acquired spaceflight and will start the game colonizing their solar system while the Minbari would already have interstellar flight. There would be other starting points in the timeline as well for those who want to play during or after the events of Babylon 5.

Map
When we were bouncing around ideas Warlords wasn't even announced yet. Because Civ IV maps were smaller we thought there should be different levels of space - Planetary space with normal movement costs, and interstellar space with extremely expensive move costs.

Also because we can see and determine where stars are in the night sky all the stars and some planets would be visible but in a fog of war.

Jumpgates Hyperspace
Civ II: Test of Time would have been perfect for this with the layered maps. Alas.
In the B5 universe hyperspace was discovered by relic jumpgates left behind by the firstones or acquired by another race who already had it (Earth from Cent, Minbari from Vorlons). To reflect this the Hyperspace technology can not be directly researched. The technology has to be acquired from another race or discover a relic jumpgate which is seeded with the map. the number of relic jumpgates and the probability of them being in a home system is inversely dependent upon the difficulty level. Lowest difficulty will have a relic gate in every home system while the highest will only have two in the entire map.

There are obvious potential gameplay problems with this. To compensate for this it must be highly desirable to share hyperspace tech. Interstellar expansion/colonization should be expensive and the trade boost by giving other races hyperspace tech should be significant.

How hyperspace works is very different from normal civ convention. When a jumpgate is built (or a relic gate) it will connect with 2-5 of the other gates. The tiles along this connection will develop basically roads. This will drastically reduce the movement cost of going through interstellar space. There will need to be some mechanism which prevents non-jumping ships from entering or exiting these lanes except at the gates and allowing jump capable ships to do so.

Stations
Stations could either be a tile improvement or a mini city. As a tile improvement it would contribute resource bonuses to the colony in question (or a minicity station) as empty space provides no food/hammer/trade. A minicity station (like babylon 5) would have a limited number of city improvement slots, limited population cap, limited city radius, and limited production capacity. These limits could be increased by city improvements.

Shadows and Light
Modeling the shadow conflict would be very interesting. One idea proposed would be to have a light/dark variable associated with each race. Positive would be "light" and negative would be "shadow". The race and leader a player chooses would set the initial bias. Civics, technology, who allies are, etc would modify the value. The more bias the variable becomes the more friendly like minded races are, what technology is availible to be researched (or even which units become availible: ie for organic hull tech a positive number would be white star and a negative number is the omega-x), as well as other bonuses or assists the more extream one becomes. At the cost of becoming more extream the other faction and fo race becomes more hostile.

Hi Croxis, wellcome aboard! :beer:

Nothing much to say on my front, quite a busy week at work, but I'll try to keep up to date.

BTW, still no ideas on the Dilgar shield?

Another thing, I'm more than happy to offer a corner of my webhost for this, so if you guys want a wiki or a fileserver (even svn, which actually wouldn't be a bad idea) feel free to drop me a line.

I'm gonna start warming up my modelling skills and start with the EA shuttle :)

Hi All
Kudos to Croxis for having a go at modelling. This may be the last message from me for a few days as my PC is going to have some work done on it and i don't have the luxury of a second PC or a laptop. Hope to catch up with you all sometime next week.

Another thing, I'm more than happy to offer a corner of my webhost for this, so if you guys want a wiki or a fileserver (even svn, which actually wouldn't be a bad idea) feel free to drop me a line.

I'm gonna start warming up my modelling skills and start with the EA shuttle :)

Yeah!, version control isn't a bad idea, I have backups from v0.1.2.

About the EA Shuttle: :thumbsup:, just one question, the atmosferic one (I believe the class is Hestrel) or the other?

Hello everyone!,

here is the new version v0.1.5b, includes:
Spoiler :

- New Minbari leaders: Dukhat, Delenn, Neroon
- Tech: Ion Power removed
- Tech: Matter/Antimatter Power Systems added
- Tech tree adjustments

The update is on my alternate server, because for some reason I'm no loger able to use Civfanatic's upload system :confused:.

I didn't add Jha'Dur of the Dilgar because I have no idea what we can use for the Dilgar's civ button, if I figure it out (suggestions accepted) I'll add it to the next version, if not, then I'll use a generic button for that civ and add the Dilgar on the next update anyway :p.

I have been thinking about the EA shuttle:
Spoiler :

Possible uses for the Shuttle:
- Medical transport: comes with a medical promotion, can be carried within capital ships.
- Fighter transport: can carry a single fighter squadron
- Military transport: can carry a single G.O.D.

All proposals can't attack, and have minimum speed (movement), and minimum strenght.

On other things, on next update perhaps I'll add a generic PDS (Planetary Defense System; the EA can use the G.O.D) using asioasioasio's satellite (RodsGods).

Good work on the update! Will check it out!;)

BTW, maybe all version links should be included in 1st post. (If you miss one, they might be hard to locate without reading through the whole thread.)

The Ea transport can't really carry a fighter, much too small
There was an episode where a modified shuttle carried a Omega Black Squadron,... well, actually two shuttles. :p

BTW, maybe all version links should be included in 1st post. (If you miss one, they might be hard to locate without reading through the whole thread.)

That is a fine Idea, but PsiCorps is the one to do it, only he can edit that post (as far as I know).

There was an episode where a modified shuttle carried a Omega Black Squadron,... well, actually two shuttles. :p

Sounds like an emergency/make shift transport then. How about a Carrier type unit?

EDIT: I've also noticed a distinct absence of updates from the DL Database and the New/updated versions thread, which makes 'em very hard to track down, if you don't know about them in the first place. (Just a thought...)

First off, I'd like to add that I too heavily played Babylon 5 Wars which did an excellent job of fleshing out the B5 universe.

- The concept of "Aircraft carriers" (or should I say Spacecraft Carrier) doesn't exist in B5, however, Capital ships are often capable of carrying fighters/bombers, I believe that some ships should be able to carry a single squadron and through promotions make them able to carry more. I think that it would be overpowered to make them able to carry more squadrons right from the start.

Quite a few races have dedicated fighter carriers. The largest would be the Earth Alliance's Poseidon Supercarrier, which could deploy 96 Aurora Starfuries. The Minbari, Centauri, Brakiri, Dilgar also had large carriers.

EDIT: Also, we need, System names, I have a star map in a B5 book, I'll post it later, there is plenty of system names for the EA, however there are little for the rest.

I have Mongoose Publishing's Babylon 5 Galactic Guide, which lists every solar system in the B5 universe and their planets.

Psicorps said:
Ion weapons – Required for Capital ships (dreadnoughts)

Ion weapons aren't all that common in B5. I'd say most capital ships are packing a complement of large beam weapons, so how about a name change to "Heavy Beam Weapons"?

Psicorps said:
Dilgar
Leader: Warleader Jha’dur
UU:
Planets:
Their sun went Nova and the entire race died but before this they had tried to colonise other worlds in a war of conquest. Little else is known of this race.

There's quite a bit known about the Dilgar, you just need to know where to look. Agents of Gaming published an entire book on the Dilgar Wars which did an excellent job of fleshing out their background and the entire war. Here's the bare bones:

They are an aggressive feline race and highly militaristic. They were among the first to make use of high-quality heavy fighters. Most of their ships lacked jump drives, so they relied on a small number of large capital ships to move from system to system. Many of their vessels were equipped for planetary bombardment (mass drivers + orbital bombs) which they used extensively, as well as biological weapons.

I have a nice leaderhead pic for Jha'dur on my system somewhere (I've been working on a B5 mod for Space Empires V off-and-on...)

Psicorps said:
At present working from http://www.b5tech.com/earthalliance/...hcapships.html you can see the numbers of fighters carried by the various classes of ships. All that needs to be agreed on is how many fighters make up a unit for conversion to the mod. Is a unit/squadron 6 fighters or more? 6 would be simplest as it would mean that the Hyperion class cruisers carried 1 unit and the destroyers all carried 6. This would mean the carrier should hold at least double the amount of a destroyer.

That website is notoriously inaccurate and most of its info conflicts with canon and official sources. In contrast, the Babylon 5 Wars stuff was approved by JMS, the creator of B5; you can't get a much higher authority than that. An Omega should carry 24 fighters. 6 fighters per unit is a good size, as most ships only carry 6 (Hyperion), 12 (G'Quan, Primus), or 18 (Centauri Octurion battleship) fighters. Omega = 4-unit capacity. Earth's Poseidon Supercarrier = 16 units(!!)

I have a huge number of ship models in .3ds and .x formats that I've pulled from across the 'net, mostly from B5 mods for other games so they are perfect low-poly models. Definitely enough designs to cover the Earth Alliance, Narn, and Centauri fleets, with a good number of Minbari and Dilgar ones too. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to getting permission to use them yet...

Here's the list of wargaming books I have available for background information/ship designs:

Babylon 5 Wars
2nd Edition Rules Compendium
Militaries of the League 2
Ships of the Fleet (HUNDREDS of ship designs)
The Dilgar Invasion
Showdowns 3 (scenarios and ship designs for advanced EA ships + 3 other races)
Showdowns 4 (more Dilgar war stuff)
Showdowns 5 (Narn-Centauri war, ships for the "Corillani" minor race)
Showdowns 7 (minor League races like the Hyach, Cascor, and Kor-Lyan)

A Call to Arms/Babylon 5 RPG
Galactic Guide (map with details for every planet/system)
1st and 2nd edition RPG rules
A Call to Arms rules

Apologies for the lack of postings since last week. First the bad news. All the work that was on the PC was lost after my new motherboard was installed. Fortunately i had a back up saved on a memory stick. You would have thought that this was good news wouldn't you? No. The memory stick has failed and i can't retrieve any of the info. You would think i would have thought about uploading to this site which would have been a good idea had i thought about it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and i will not be relying on a memory stick alone in future.
I Shall be dedicating myself to replacing the pedia texts over this weekend. Now onto everything that everyone has posted.
Premier Valle
Possible uses for the Shuttle:
- Medical transport: comes with a medical promotion, can be carried within capital ships.
- Fighter transport: can carry a single fighter squadron
- Military transport: can carry a single G.O.D.

All proposals can't attack, and have minimum speed (movement), and minimum strenght.
I Think we should keep the shuttle to transporting individuals, a lot like the Caravel in standard Civ. Let's keep it as simple as possible to get a working mod. We can start getting ambitious later:lol:
Premier Valle
- New Minbari leaders: Dukhat, Delenn, Neroon
- Tech: Ion Power removed
- Tech: Matter/Antimatter Power Systems added
- Tech tree adjustments
I've downloaded v0.1.5b but haven't installed and examined it yet. If it's as good as the previous stop i'll be happy. will add any comments after i've had a look at it properly.
JEELEN
Apologies. I shall post the next update to the first post so it is easier to find:D
Welcome aboard Noble713. Thank you for all the corrections.
Noble713
I have Mongoose Publishing's Babylon 5 Galactic Guide, which lists every solar system in the B5 universe and their planets.
My B5 Knowledge is based on the Series, Paperback books and the B5 CCG. I'm hoping you will be able to contribute a lot to this project:) If you could provide us with a list of all the systems colonized by each of the races it would be a great help in completing the Civilizations/Races part of the mod.
Noble713
Ion weapons aren't all that common in B5. I'd say most capital ships are packing a complement of large beam weapons, so how about a name change to "Heavy Beam Weapons"?
Sounds good to me.
Noble713
There's quite a bit known about the Dilgar, you just need to know where to look. Agents of Gaming published an entire book on the Dilgar Wars which did an excellent job of fleshing out their background and the entire war. Here's the bare bones:

They are an aggressive feline race and highly militaristic. They were among the first to make use of high-quality heavy fighters. Most of their ships lacked jump drives, so they relied on a small number of large capital ships to move from system to system. Many of their vessels were equipped for planetary bombardment (mass drivers + orbital bombs) which they used extensively, as well as biological weapons.

I have a nice leaderhead pic for Jha'dur on my system somewhere (I've been working on a B5 mod for Space Empires V off-and-on...)
Do you have something we could use for the Dilgar Civ button?
Noble713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psicorps
At present working from http://www.b5tech.com/earthalliance/...hcapships.html you can see the numbers of fighters carried by the various classes of ships. All that needs to be agreed on is how many fighters make up a unit for conversion to the mod. Is a unit/squadron 6 fighters or more? 6 would be simplest as it would mean that the Hyperion class cruisers carried 1 unit and the destroyers all carried 6. This would mean the carrier should hold at least double the amount of a destroyer.

That website is notoriously inaccurate and most of its info conflicts with canon and official sources. In contrast, the Babylon 5 Wars stuff was approved by JMS, the creator of B5; you can't get a much higher authority than that. An Omega should carry 24 fighters. 6 fighters per unit is a good size, as most ships only carry 6 (Hyperion), 12 (G'Quan, Primus), or 18 (Centauri Octurion battleship) fighters. Omega = 4-unit capacity. Earth's Poseidon Supercarrier = 16 units(!!)
Is this manual available as an online reference source? I haven't the spare cash to be buying new books:sad:
Noble713
I have a huge number of ship models in .3ds and .x formats that I've pulled from across the 'net, mostly from B5 mods for other games so they are perfect low-poly models. Definitely enough designs to cover the Earth Alliance, Narn, and Centauri fleets, with a good number of Minbari and Dilgar ones too. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to getting permission to use them yet...
Could you chase down permission to use the ship models? It would be the biggest hurdle jumped if we could get permission to use models already built!
Now i'm going to look at the latest download courtesy of Premier.
Be seeing you.;)

Wellcome Noble713!, as always the beers are on me:beer: (BTW: does that expression means that I pay the beers? - 'cause thats what I intended to say :p)

... my new motherboard was installed.

Good to hear your new comp is up'n running. About the Data lost I have a suggestion (to all of you), use at least two partitions on your hard drive (C:\ and D:\) as this allows you to have the Operating System in one and Data in the other, so if you need to reinstall your OS, MoBo or anything your Data will be safe. Optical storage is good also.

I Think we should keep the shuttle to transporting individuals, a lot like the Caravel in standard Civ. Let's keep it as simple as possible to get a working mod. We can start getting ambitious later:lol:

Making a unit capable of carrying another is something I have done before (an upgrade for the destroyer that can carry a single UAV); I made such a suggestion because it will be more accurate (IMHO) to have the atmosferic shuttles carry the individuals.

@Noble713
I agree with PsiCorps, I believe you can constribute a lot to this project.

Do you have something we could use for the Dilgar Civ button?
do you? :please:

I'm planning to do some modding this weekend, so expect an new version tomorrow afternoon (GMT -6), and who knows, perhaps a flash update on sunday as well! (I'm on a modding mood;))

@croxis
would we need a client for the server?

EDIT: Check this thread!, you won't be dissapointed; update within the next hours!

Hi all!,

it took me longer than expected and I'm not fully satisfied with it, but there are a few thing that you need to see: v0.1.6

The new version:
Spoiler :

- Dilgar Civilization
- Dilgar Leader: Jha'Dur
- New unit: P.D.S.
- New unit: Starfury Aurora (EA UU)
- Old unit: FF Destroyer
- Old Unit: FF Fighter
- Added some System Names
- New Map: SpyralGalaxy by Cephalo
- Known Bug: In the City Screen two Fighter Buttons (build) appear.

Testing the PDS:
Spoiler :

Enter the world builder, and add a Pirate destroyer within striking range of your system.
Edit the destroyer, change it from: UNITAI_RESERVE to UNITAI_ATTACK_CITY_LEMMING
Don't forget to have a PDS in your system!!

Now my dissapointments with the new version:

Have you ever wondered why the FF fighter graphics are several instead of a single one?
Spoiler :

The Aurora squad has 6 starfuries, yet when sent in a mission only one is deployed, the rest stay still; I tried a few things but none gave a good solution. Any ideas? :confused:

The FF fighter was reinstalled to show apropiately the SA-3 as a EA only fighter.

On the P.D.S (Generic G.O.D.)
Spoiler :

The P.D.S. doesn't have an animation, I tried to use CivIV and FF ones but none of the tested ones worked, I believe that the model doesn't have animations contemplated. :(

I made a N/A button (and a flag) so I'm using it with the Dilgar, PDS, and SA-3, perhaps tomorrow I'll make some buttons.
Of course the Aurora and PDS need the tech_prereq, but were left without it for testing purposes.

hi psicorps,

just wanted to say,

im a huge b5 fan, except the new boring tv film they got out....hehe

i really hope someone will finnally get some b5 units for you,

your b5 and star trek.....have so much pottencial,
the only stinky problem....not enough unit models.

cammon i say that we have enough airplane and tank models to last for eternity....

we need more scifi starshps!

keep up this mod development!!

great work.

Top Bottom