Problems with Mods

Omegon3

Prince
I'm hoping that someone can assist me with a couple of issues that I'm having when doing "mods" (or, at minimum, point me in the right direction). First off, I'm using "ModBuddy" for the job (following Kael's "mods" guide). When I select "Actions", I can select the "Event" (OnModActivated) and "Action" (UpdateDatabase), but the "File" line remains disabled. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

Secondly, how the blazes do I create the "ModInfo" file? I've looked at a few for other projects and they appear to be loaded with unique ids ("File md5") that I'm not really wanting to load by hand. I've looked through ModBuddy, built my project and solution, but didn't get this file.

Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

(I would tell you what mod I'm creating, but I'm not willing to admit to being this ambitious -- or that much of a "mods" thief!):lol:

The modinfo file is auto-generated from the information within modbuddy when you do Build Solution or Build [Fill-In The Name Of Your Mod Here]. Both of these are found under Build in the top taskbar when Modbuddy is open.

For the issue with not being able to select your file name, how did you add it to your mod, and is #4 of this post in this thread relevant? Next, what type of file are you trying to activate in this manner? Perhaps you are trying to use the "Actions" tab for a file-type that is not valid. See whoward69's what ModBuddy setting for what file types tutorial.

Edit: the modinfo file only appears in the functional version of the mod that is sent to the My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS folder and also to a copy that is sent to a "Builds" folder that is created within your overall ModBuddy Project main folder when you either Build Solution or Build Mod Name.

Great reply LeeS.

Omegon3 - With whatever file you created, I believe using OnModActivated-UpdateDatabase the only valid files are .xml and .sql -- are the files you created (default left side of screen) named with the .xml or .sql file extension?

Great reply LeeS.

Omegon3 - With whatever file you created, I believe using OnModActivated-UpdateDatabase the only valid files are .xml and .sql -- are the files you created (default left side of screen) named with the .xml or .sql file extension?

It is primarily the "xml" file types (units, buildings, etc.) that I WANT to add. Is there somewhere that I need to identify the files BEFORE I go to the "ACTION" tab? Thanks for the input!

The modinfo file is auto-generated from the information within modbuddy when you do Build Solution or Build [Fill-In The Name Of Your Mod Here]. Both of these are found under Build in the top taskbar when Modbuddy is open.

For the issue with not being able to select your file name, how did you add it to your mod, and is #4 of this post in this thread relevant? Next, what type of file are you trying to activate in this manner? Perhaps you are trying to use the "Actions" tab for a file-type that is not valid. See whoward69's what ModBuddy setting for what file types tutorial.

Edit: the modinfo file only appears in the functional version of the mod that is sent to the My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS folder and also to a copy that is sent to a "Builds" folder that is created within your overall ModBuddy Project main folder when you either Build Solution or Build Mod Name.

As I mentioned earlier, I've built both the project and solution; no "modinfo" appears in the folder (unless I'm looking in the wrong place!! :crazyeye:)

As I mentioned earlier, I've built both the project and solution; no "modinfo" appears in the folder (unless I'm looking in the wrong place!! :crazyeye:)
You are looking in the wrong place. Re-read my edit on where the modinfo file appears. It will not be in the Documents/Firaxis ModBuddy/Your Mod Name/Your Mod Name folder. It will be in the Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/Your Mod Name folder after you do either "Build Solution" or "Build Your Mod Name".

You have to add the files to the mod 1st before you can activate them using the "actions" menu. Within Modbuddy under Project in the top-panel menus there are Add New Item, Add Existing Item, and New Folder. There is also a drop-down button in the second-level taskbar if you have not reconfigured where you have your taskbars in ModBuddy. You can also right-click on the name of your Project in the Solution Explorer window to get access to these three functions. You must use one of these while in ModBuddy to properly add a new folder, new file, or existing file into the mod. You cannot just drag-and-drop an assortment of files into the Project folder: ModBuddy will not recognize them as being part of the mod "project" if you do.

Add Existing Item
  • allows you to select a file that you have created outside of modbuddy (such as an art file) and add it to the mod.
  • You follow the same procedure for XML files you may have created outside of ModBuddy, or in a different mod project if you are looking to re-use a file in more than one mod (for instance).

Add New Item
  • allows you to create a new file directly within Modbuddy that you will later add actual text content to, such as an XML file or an LUA program.
  • Selecting this will give you an additional menu where you select the type of new file, and can give it a file-name. You can also rename a file later, so long as you do so while in ModBuddy and working on the mod in question
  • Also allows a choice of adding a new folder, which is essentially the same functionality of the New Folder option
  • You cannot use Add New Item for artwork files. These must be added to the mod using Add Existing Item

Top Bottom