Attention! Steam supports paid mods now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If:
- the mod exists
- costs money
- you don't want to pay

Is the same as if it didn't exist. So no loss here.

I like the idea, although I'm very far from been able to produce anything worth a dollar, there are some mods out there that definitively could warrant some kind of contribution (I'm looking - specially - at you, "DLL - VMC").

as i said just now.

only because i dont pay money for the mod doesnt mean I DONT WANNA PAY. but i just CANT AFFORD IT.

read my post above this one. and see how much money it would cost for all my mods...

It's okay. I got you, and it is really sad if you had (you won't) to give up playing with all these mods, it still isn't that much of an issue.
I would love to live in a house with 32 bathrooms, but I can't afford it -- yet. C'est la vie. Enjoy the things you can do, instead of complaining of the things you can't! :D

Allow me to reassure you once again: you are not going to die if you become unable to afford mods on a video game :lol:.

I actually laughed at this one. :lol:

there are some mods out there that definitively could warrant some kind of contribution (I'm looking - specially - at you, "DLL - VMC").

Just my 2 cents ...

If you're paid for it, it's called a job
If you do it for free (because you enjoy doing it), it's called a hobby

I write mods as a hobby, not a job.

Paid mods ... just one more reason I'll not be going back to Steam. (Which actually costs me money - to host my mods on my own web site - a very small price to pay for not having to go anywhere near Steam IMHO)

W

(Edit: PS, I do have a job in the IT industry.)

Allow me to reassure you once again: you are not going to die if you become unable to afford mods on a video game :lol:.

so simply because im not able to die from it means its completely okay that i have to charge 500€ for all my mods now?

omg...

i end this discussion here. bye.

so simply because im not able to die from it means its completely okay that i have to charge 500€ for all my mods now?

omg...

i end this discussion here. bye.

Whether or not it is o.k. (or in your case, "affordable") is entirely independent of what you feel about the matter - reality will move forward regardless of what you want, in the same manner that the world exists regardless of whether you open or shut your eyes.

If you're looking for social/moral support for your type of cause, an online gaming forum is about the worst place you could ever look for any.

Just my 2 cents ...

If you're paid for it, it's called a job
If you do it for free (because you enjoy doing it), it's called a hobby

I write mods as a hobby, not a job.

Paid mods ... just one more reason I'll not be going back to Steam. (Which actually costs me money - to host my mods on my own web site - a very small price to pay for not having to go anywhere near Steam IMHO)

W

Fair enough!
I say I chose Law instead of Physics in College because I didn't wanted to die poor, but if someone would pay me to have a discussion about Physics I would gladly accept.
Still, I like very much the idea of donations; it removes the burden of seeing it as a 'job' and still lets other contribute if it's of their liking; reason why I support the 'pay-what-you-want' option.

I try to have minimal interaction with steam as possible. That means that I open up steam, launch the game I want... and do nothing more. (It's bad enough we have to use steam to play Civ5...) This is owing to the fact that I really despise steam, its interface, everything about it. So I'll never find out about P2P mods on steam since I don't look for them, and since advertising is banned on this forum - which I assume could be extended to include this - I'll never find out about what paid mods exist on steam through this forum either.
Hence, I'll practically not even recognize the existence of paid mods. And what I don't know about, I don't care about.

And I think we should remember that no one forces you to donate to modders, that the concept of paid mods doesn't even exist for Civ5 (at least not yet), and, to confirm, we won't die of not having six quintillion mods in our directories.

Y'know, now that I think about it, no...! We better form a task force to study this further and make sure we're not endangering peoples' lives! Does not enough mods cause death? I'd better start stocking up...
Sarcastic sarcasm is sarcastic

If you're looking for social/moral support for your type of cause, an online gaming forum is about the worst place you could ever look for any.
:lol:

Luckily, Skyrim Nexus still has free mods there and I've never used Steam Workshop to download mods for Skyrim.

And it's up to Firaxis if they allow paid mods to appear for Civ 5, and then it's up to the mod creators to set up a price - which I sincerely doubt will happen en masse. The reluctance of the players to pay for mods will probably quickly verify the whole concept. I, however, don't want to be associated with any paid mods whatsoever - I don't want to see my mod art being sold in any shape or form, nor do I want to buy mods. I'm with whoward on this; for me doing mod art is a hobby, even if most of the time it's hard work.

But I still will draw for beer (patience is key here) :p

also funny how people react differently depending which forum theyre posting in

like:

in this forum most people are for that.

in the cities skylines forum most people are against it.

and in the nexus forums its like 50/50 i would say.

Luckily, Skyrim Nexus still has free mods there and I've never used Steam Workshop to download mods for Skyrim.

And it's up to Firaxis if they allow paid mods to appear for Civ 5, and then it's up to the mod creators to set up a price - which I sincerely doubt will happen en masse. The reluctance of the players to pay for mods will probably quickly verify the whole concept. I, however, don't want to be associated with any paid mods whatsoever - I don't want to see my mod art being sold in any shape or form, nor do I want to buy mods. I'm with whoward on this.

i cant say if its true or not. but on an other forum someone posted that there are already nexus modders who removed their mods from nexus to include them i the workshop and make money with it.

another guy said that there are already guys who sell their mods as "early access mods" which will have more features later and if you buy it now youll get a discount...

oh and what is if you use a mod that is not compatible with another mod? who gives you your money back? because you ofc cant know if mod X is compatible with mod Y because there are so many mods.

and btw: you CHOOSE to mod. youre not forced to mod. the same thing you said to me applies to mods too. modders are not forced to mod. if they dont like it to not getting paid for their work then they shouldnt mod or not publish their work.

Y'know, now that I think about it, no...! We better form a task force to study this further and make sure we're not endangering peoples' lives! Does not enough mods cause death? I'd better start stocking up...

Surrender your claim on Switzerland and you won't have to find out :D

and btw: you CHOOSE to mod. youre not forced to mod. the same thing you said to me applies to mods too. modders are not forced to mod. if they dont like it to not getting paid for their work then they shouldnt mod or not publish their work.

Doesn't mean people won't stop bugging you to keep modding :p

Doesn't mean people won't stop bugging you to keep modding :p

true lol :D

i see the biggest issue currently in refunds. as i said in the previous post, whats if the mod breaks your game? or its not compatible with 1 of your other mods? or it stops working after a patch and the mod author officially stopped his work or "support" for the mod?

If I surrendered anything, my citizens would lynch me. :p
How's that political index coming?

So, wait... are people now angry at Steam for forcing modders to charge money for mods they would have otherwise been able to give away for free? As opposed to being angry at modders for daring to actually charge money for their time and effort, instead of being forced to give away their creations for free?

I'm starting to lose track of what tenuous logic these espoused philosophies have... X3

How's that political index coming?

Mostly finished. It's due either today or yesterday (the lecturer said Midnight 24th, but I'm not sure if that's yesterday or today :lol:), but I'm procrastinating a bit :p It basically establishes an institutional framework between a regime being aristocratic or democratic, and then tests that according to a political autonomy scale - how much political participants act as independent agents within that framework. Unfortunately, the US scored Liberty: 4, Illiberty: 3 on my index. But it's probably unethical to redo it just to try and bump the US down :p

So, wait... are people now angry at Steam for forcing modders to charge money for mods they would have otherwise been able to give away for free? As opposed to being angry at modders for daring to actually charge money for their time and effort, instead of being forced to give away their creations for free?

I'm starting to lose track of what tenuous logic these espoused philosophies have... X3

I don't think Steam is forcing them; just giving the option. Anyway, give Chesko all the monies.

some guy on nexus posted this (his SMIM mod is one of the "core mods" for skyrim, 4 million downloads)

Announcement: SMIM will always, ALWAYS, remain totally free to download on Skyrim Nexus. Steam Workshop now allows charging real money for mods. I am still debating if I should allow users to pay $0.25 to $2.00 on Steam Workshop for SMIM. But remember, SMIM will always be free on this webpage!

And...you can donate to me if you so desire by using the green Donate button on the top right of the page. No pressure, friends!

this is great. this is how other modders should handle it too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom