Final Fixes Reborn

Missing diplomacy options, missing interface, and everything fine not after reload but after reboot. If I just quit the game after such an error, start the game again and reload the result is a crash to desktop. A reboot is necessary.

Never got such a bug in 14.11. It's svn only. Memtest results in no errors.
Running the game in compatibility mode (XP, Vista, 7) does not help.

Random ideas:
- The bugs depend on something that is not in a save file.
- Some part of the game resides in memory after quitting. (cached dll?)
- Possibly related to memory allocation.
- Maximum RAM usage I have seen is about 1.4 GB. That's not even close to the 32 bit 2 GB limit.
- Could be a pointer to the wrong address.

i think it's an interface python issue (the fact that it doesn't crash but just not display stuff is a very particular thing, and the dll doesn't really do this), i had to mess with it for the mercenary system in rev 216, that's why i'd like to know if that particular error still appears in earlier revs.

OK. Just started 215 (steam original release unsupported) immediately after boot. Single player, play now. Crash to desktop after selecting options, before the text "initializing" turned up.
Started the game again (no reboot), play now, got a game without interface. (attached save file) Quit game, start game, reload: no interface. Reboot: Interface present.

Will continue playing my ongoing 14.11 game now.

Edit:
I stand by my second thought from above: Some part of the game resides in memory after quitting. If not a dll, it's some other part.

Attachments

• 215_no_interface_Arendel_Phaedra_Turn_0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    133.9 KB · Views: 73
svn 121:
Start 5 play now games, quit game, start game, start another 5 play now games: No bugs found.

svn 122:
Start 5 play now games, quit game, start game, start another 5 play now games: No bugs found.

Cannot tell about anything which happens at other times. Like missing interface when loading the game saved the day before.

SVN 281: civilopedia, improvements, filter regular improvements
Winery is missing. Yaranga does not belong into that list.

the Lanun buccaneer spell, is this meant to be castable other than in a lanun port? it only seems to work there. this is like the austrin shore party spell, only seems to work in a home port.

oh i see what happened here. it's a consequence of a piece of code i've written to prevent summons from being cast if you're not in a tile the summoned unit can stand on. I'll rewrite both spells to avoid that ^^

Hello, I've been a fan of this mod for many years now, and I've recently decided to try playing again after my video card died on me and all I have is my i5-2500K built-in video potato. The problem is when I try starting the mod (through the launcher or by loading the mod from the game's menu). It gives me errors relating to loading the XML files. I am trying to play the latest SVN version, as of writing this post.
https://s32.postimg.org/lhkjmpwhh/Capture.jpg
https://s32.postimg.org/udvbqnn3p/Capture2.jpg
https://s32.postimg.org/7qg2ki7jp/Capture3.jpg'

After spitting out another XML-related error or two, the mod stops loading and the game's .exe stops working. I can't figure out what could be wrong here. I've already tried reinstalling the game once, no luck. I am not sure it's a messed up installation because Caveman 2 Cosmos's latest SVN works flawlessly (as much as that mod can).
What could the problem be here? I am stumped...

Oh, yes, I'm Bulgarian and I'm using the Bulgarian system locale on Windows 7, my decimal marker is a "," (comma) instead of a ".". I will try changing it now to see if it has the same effect.

But why do other mods function with no issues on my installation of the game? Is there something different with this version of Final Fixes Reborn?

EDIT: Just changing the decimal symbol from Control Panel - Region and Language - Formats tab - Additional Settings to a full-stop (.) instead of a comma (,) and using the latter as a digit grouping symbol fixed everything. No XML errors. No need to even change the system locale from the Administrative tab. Still can't figure out how this mod differs from the rest, though...

EDIT 2: Spoke too soon, the game crashes when I try to start a map. I'm not sure if the crash happens at Initializing Graphics or before that. Still haven't encountered this problem anywhere else as well. Any tips?

i'm not exactly sure why it doesn't happen for other mods, i'm looking into C2C's code to see if there's a major difference in the xml loading that could explain that it doesn't happen for them ( they do have float values too)

EDIT : they completely rewrote the xml parser, so that's probably that. i'll look into it.

As for the crash at initializing graphics, it may not be related. some people have had this kind of random crash for some time, i've been tracking it. Try an earlier revision to see if it works better ( rev122 should work better). Also be sure to start with a play now game to reset the hidden options.

Running revision 122 got the game to start up for me. It is kind of unstable, crashing every 30 turns or so, but a save game reload seems to fix it. Until the next crash and so on. Also, I can't start the game from Play Now because the game instantly CTDs the moment I try to pick a particular civilization. Using a custom game is 100% fine.

ok, that's mostly stuff that's fixed in the following revisions ( we introduced the crash on game start in one of the following revs but we haven't managed to find out which one yet). so you can try another rev a bit later, they should be a bit more stable ( until you pass the one that causes game start crash...)

I tried moving up to a higher version of the SVN by deleting my previous install of the mod and downloading the newer version directly. I tried both 215 and 230. Both ran fine in the menus, until the game actually started. I got a message that the intro videos weren't installed correctly and I could click it to get the game to start. The game looked good, but I had no interface. In other cases, I could just erase the /cache directory in Assets but there wasn't one here. I tried installing an even higher vesion (SVN 261, in my case), same exact situation. Then I decided to just update from 261 to the latest (282) directly. The game managed to start just fine and generate a new map, but I still had no intro video and no interface. I have the save game from the updated-to-282 install.

Will it be of any help?

Attachments

• no interface updated_282.CivBeyondSwordSave
    144.5 KB · Views: 30
i'll check it, but several people have reported that reloading a save will make the interface appear, so you can try that.(that's only a temporary solution till i find the fix to that damn thing, of course)

EDIT : i also remember someone mentioning the intro video message happening when the folder isn't called Ashes of Erebus.

ok, that's interesting, though a bit surprising, it's not the large dll changes ^^. i'll try to find another revision of importance to test

Hi there.

Our little multiplayer group is up for running some tests on earlier versions, so you can crowdsource the troubleshooting a little :)
Let us know which versions to go for. Somewhere between 122 and 215, I'm gathering?

Anti

My folder was properly named Ashes of Erebus. Shutting down my computer, cleaning all caches and starting it up again did nothing - the intro movies were missing again, as well as my interface. On another note: trying to load my save while playing makes the game CTD. I'm going to try SVN 200 now, to see how it is.

EDIT: I tried SVN 200, the exact same issue with the missing videos and interface occurs, except I can reload my save without the game CTD-ing. I went back to 122 and all is well as before.

EDIT 2: Welp, trying the new game worked for 1 turn before an irrevocable Bad memory allocation error that didn't get any better with reloading my save. Gonna give up for a while now...

Top Bottom