conquer a city with chariot archers

pinkishkittny

Chieftain
Two questions re early conquest:

1) Is it possible to conquer Attila's Camp (size 8, horse archer) with just chariot archers and if so how many will I need? (I already know 4 isn't enough)

2) Whilst I was building 4 horse chariots I fell from 3rd to 8th in the VP table. I now have 166pts, Hiawatha has 363. On the face of it it can never make sense to go to war! Actually this question has two parts:
2a) Is it possible to make up 200 points?
2b) Is it possible to build military units and remain competitive?

Background
I share a continent with Korea and the Huns. The Huns are between us. Korea asked me to go to war with them against the Huns. Attilla only had one city so I thought I could take it with 4 units and Korea's help but Korea did nothing! Actually that is another question - how could I have known Sejong (Korea) was only bluffing?

6-7 cas can get the job done but make sure that you have a infantry unit that can go in to occupy the city once the defenses are down. A scout or warrior will do.

Two questions re early conquest:

1) Is it possible to conquer Attila's Camp (size 8, horse archer) with just chariot archers and if so how many will I need? (I already know 4 isn't enough)
You need a melee unit to actually conquer a city.

I would recommend at least two melee units, because if Atila chooses to focus down your melee unit as it is closing in, it is possible that it could die, which would make your siege fail.

2) Whilst I was building 4 horse chariots I fell from 3rd to 8th in the VP table. I now have 166pts, Hiawatha has 363. On the face of it it can never make sense to go to war! Actually this question has two parts:
2a) Is it possible to make up 200 points?

Absolutely, though you did not fall behind 200 points simply because of making horse chariots, there are other things that you did that made you fall behind.

My last two games, one on emperor and another in multiplayer I have fallen behind way further than 200 points. Points just try to arbitrary calculate the value of your civilization, it doesn't actually mean the other person is winning.

As for the points themselves, you'll see that once you conquer Atila's capital, your points will sky rocket.

2b) Is it possible to build military units and remain competitive?
Yes. I don't know what point of the game you're in, but while building a military will naturally stagnate other parts of your empire, it shouldn't it too bad if you have good production.

Background
I share a continent with Korea and the Huns. The Huns are between us. Korea asked me to go to war with them against the Huns. Attilla only had one city so I thought I could take it with 4 units and Korea's help but Korea did nothing! Actually that is another question - how could I have known Sejong (Korea) was only bluffing?

Korea isn't bluffing, the computer is dumb when it comes to warfare.

Even if paid, the AI will often not send units into a joint war. I like to call this a "formal war." Even if your "friend" enters a formal war with you against a particular civ it can still be useful, as the attacked civ will likely divert troops to defend both fronts, thus softening his defenses near you. On the other hand I once paid an AI to attack a civ and the attacked was completely wiped out.

While I am a big fan of chariot archers, it doesn't take long before cities can knock them off in one turn, and if you're banking on them to take cities then you're probably building too many. There is a short time when chariots are good at HELPING to take cities. Then there is a period when they are still helpful, just not at taking cities (barb quests, mobile defense, and general causing trouble, to name a few). And then you research chivalry, at which time hopefully you saved your promotions (or better yet, farmed for them). Unless knights are your UU, spamming chariots may not be very prudent.

Chariot archers, like the horse archers could take the cities but the only thing that can stop you is the lack of horses. You need horses for chariot archers.

The only time I am ever building chariot archers is when I play Arabia or Mongolia, so I can upgrade em. These units are kinda waste of hammers with all other civs ...

Chariot archers are cool but when promoting them, they have ranged unit promotions. As you upgrade them though, the ranged promotions like range no longer work since chariot archers are concidered mobile units more than ranged..

I had a game on immortal which I was Egypt, I took Russia capital and 1 more city at around turn110(epic speed) with 8 chariots and 2 spearmen. I first declare war with 6 chariots but I produced 2 more chariots in addition to that shortly after the war start, as I felt 6 wasn't quite enough I want to make it quick.
The key is to make it quick and have a lot of open terrain so you can retreat your wounded chariot quickly.
So, is it possible to take cities with just chariot archers? If the city is below 15 combat strength, definite yes. If the city is at 20 or above combat strength, probably no because at that time they probably have composite bowmen together with city bombardment they can one shot a chariot archer.

Most of the times the points just mean that civ has managed to spam most of the wonders. It isn't until late game that points will start to mean something.

Basically Hiawatha is wonderhogging.

they can farm 3 promotions due to their mobility (assuming enough open terrain) .. And the third promotion is march that works great when you upgrade to knights dancing around your borders.. Also almost as good at pillaging as horsemen .. (vital money and strategic crippling)

Top Bottom