After Civ IV deleted, Windows needs Civ IV CD before applications and files open!

JAHsh Concurz

Chieftain
Help! :cry: Two days ago I bought Civilization IV (I love it!), but I first installed it on my Toshiba laptop, which ran the game decently... but when I after I downloaded the patch it kept having video errors so I deleted the game off my computer and installed it on the home PC, which works excelently. My technical problem is less with the game itself and more of the aftermath because I know it is directly related to the game:

The actual problem I have is this... now when I turn on my laptop and windows boots, I get on the desktop but none of my applications will run and my wireless service won't connect, although I can see all my icons, etc. When I put in the Civilization IV CD in the computer while it boots... it seems like I can access my files and applications again. I thought I deleted all traces of Civ IV and I even cleaned the registry with CCleaner. Something must still be there and it is driving me mad! Does anyone know what this is or has had a similar problem. Is there a process or something in the registry that I should be looking for and how do I remove it so that my laptop will work properly? Thanks fellow Civ fans!

Can you use System Restore to return to a save prior to the Civ IV game?
When you say
seems like I can access my files and applications
can you? Can you tap the Windows key on your keyboard, "R" to the "Run..." command, and enter "eventvwr.msc" to look for errors in your logs? If so, also run your antivirus program's full scan.
What were the video errors that motivated you to delete (I hope you mean uninstall) Civilization IV from your notebook?
CCleaner generally prompts to make a backup of the registry changes it makes. Have you tried restoring this registry backup?

auldian said:
What were the video errors that motivated you to delete (I hope you mean uninstall) Civilization IV from your notebook?

Yes I meant that I uninstalled the game, properly through the Add & Remove. The initial problem with the game running on my laptop was this error I kept getting after I downloaded the 1.61 patch: "Failed to allocate video memory. Please try reducing your graphics setting". It had played fine out of the package before the patch, and I didn't really want to bother with trying to tweak it, so I installed the game on my the PC and it works fine there so I haven't been pursuing that inital problem (although I haven't downloaded the patch yet on that computer...). I'll keep my fingers crossed. I saw some threads on that topic so if it is a problem I will research it. :rolleyes:

Anyway in regards to the current problem with the mysterious need for the CD to help applications and processes to initalize... :cry:

auldian said:
Can you tap the Windows key on your keyboard, "R" to the "Run..." command, and enter "eventvwr.msc" to look for errors in your logs?

Yes I can infact access my files and applications and the wireless connection after the boot with the CD. (Keep in mind there is no window message or anything... it just needs this CD in it without any prompting, I kind of figured it out after putting two & two together)

1. THIS IS WHAT I FOUND WHEN ENTERING EVENT VIEWER:

I looked for errors in my logs and the only ones that came up were related to the "Internet connection not detected."... more particularly with my Norton Anti-virus Live Update not connecting. This is an example of the programs not working though. Also I saw events in regards to "ccSetMgr", "ccEvtMgr", "SAVSCAN", "SecurityCenter"applications starting.

More interestly I saw "RegSrvc" with this message: "The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RegSrvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started." :confused:

auldian said:
If so, also run your antivirus program's full scan.

Doing this now... I left the computer to scan while I am away at work, I'll see the results this afternoon....:eek:

2. SYSTEM RESTORE?

auldian said:
Can you use System Restore to return to a save prior to the Civ IV game?

Should I use the System Restore? I have a restore point prior to installing CIV IV, but will it get confused if I had used CCleaner to delete registry files, etc. in the meantime?

3. CCLEARNER BACKUP, ETC...

auldian said:
CCleaner generally prompts to make a backup of the registry changes it makes. Have you tried restoring this registry backup?

Unfortunaly I have been zealously cleaning my computer out recently and using the CCleaner daily or even after a period of browsing. :sad: The first few times I used it last week I made registry backups, but any recent time since then, including pre- or post-installation of CIV IV, I do not have. I scanned for issues after I unistalled CIV IV to try and see if that would have helped (and I never backed up there either). Should I restore an older registry file from say 4-5 days ago, or will that really make more problems.

Along with my CCleaner assualt I was using ZoneAlarm firewall and SpyCatcher in addition to AdAware which I had already. (I was motivated by the fact I had credit card # theft last week, seemingly from online). I uninstalled ZoneAlarm because it was getting in the way too much especially when installing CIV IV. Could SpyCatcher etc. be blocked from starting and causing the problem too? ::clueless:: :confused:

4. SHOULD I REINSTALL AND REMOVE?

Would reinstalling CIV IV on the laptop and removing it again help at all? Should I take any measures to make sure all components are cleanly uninstalled before and after?

So... the situation remains... I will wait for your (or anyone else's) suggestions before I try to do any of the above. Sorry for the long tirade, I am just trying to give as much detail as possible and explore each scenario so I could be helped more!! Thank you tremendously!! :) :confused: :sad:

"Failed to allocate video memory. Please try reducing your graphics setting"
That's a warning I'm pretty sure you can disable in the civilizationiv.ini file now. See http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=164770&highlight=video+memory
You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.
You may have seen a link at this point in the properties for this event that would take you to Microsoft with (sometimes) further information. Most of the services you referenced are related to your Norton antivirus; they are expected to run properly at boot.
Should I use the System Restore? I have a restore point prior to installing CIV IV, but will it get confused if I had used CCleaner to delete registry files, etc. in the meantime?
It's a pretty good feature and may get you up and running. Folks in retail use it to renew the demo models "shoppers" screw up all day long.
Could SpyCatcher etc. be blocked from starting and causing the problem too?
I'm not familiar with SpyCatcher specifically and didn't see a conclusive reference to it in your eventvwr notes. ZoneAlarm I run with CivIV without issues. Your concern for security is understandable. Be cautioned, as it's stated in most the "readmes" for products like CCleaner, that backups are very prudent prior to any registry changes.
Would reinstalling CIV IV on the laptop and removing it again help at all?
You have nothing to lose. Perhaps some of the missing dlls or keys will be refreshed. I'm curious, are you giving it a lot of time to finish booting without the CD in the drive? Sometimes after changes Windows needs time to "see what's different".
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

:) Hey auldian, as it turns out a simple System Restore did the job. Truthfully I didn't even think about it until you first reminded me and even then I was hesitant because I had messed with the registry... but everything is cool runnings now.

I will also be more cautious and save registry backups from CCleaner in the future, just in case.

Many thanks again for your help and quick responses. :goodjob:

Top Bottom