Next, an Immortal Challenge?

Do you want to see an Immortal Challenge?

• Yes, let's do it!

Votes: 57 91.9%
  • No, there are too many of such threads already.

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aelf

Ashen One
As you may know, the Emperor Masters' Challenge series have come to an end. I think we've done all that we could on that difficulty level, barring some rather outlandish variants.

Now, I'm interested in starting an Immortal Challenge. I had thought I might move on from these challenge games after EMC4, but I have recently found renewed interest in Civ4 and this is a good time for myself to move up a difficulty level. I've learned much from the previous challenges, and I'm sure some people have too. Moving up a difficulty might provide some new insights to the game. Are you guys/girls interested?

My idea for the first of such a challenge would be playing a warmongering game as Aztecs. True, they have been featured in the first ALC, but Warlords brings a fresh new take on them with the UB and changes to the UU. I intend to exploit these as much as possible. What do you think of this idea?

yeah lets do it !!!!! if you are going to do a heavy war game, keep doing your AWESOME dimplomacy to make sure wen you are peace time you arent suprised.game if you really want to go to war alot you should make it a Pangea

lol You still havn't tried out an Angkor Wat Strategy yet... Maybe next time lol

I've enjoyed ALC and EMC threads, and would certainly like to see IMC now that EMC has come to the end. Can't really provide much for the discussion, as I'm now back to Prince (with BetterAI) - Immortal is far beyond my abilities for now.

But how can you say that all that can be done has now been done? Certainly there are interesting variants available still - or are they in the outlandish category?

I vote against it. why?
I don't want a 100% vote :lol:

Treachery!

I'd definitely like to see an Immortal Challenge. The last EMC proved that you could handle emperor even without repeated warring. If you're going to go for relentless aggression, I think a shift up a level would be worthwhile, given the efficacy of that particular approach.

If you want to go up to immortal that's fine and I'm sure you'd have a large and lively audience. My concern is that you might find yourself discouraged by increased war-mongering which was an aspect of the game you didn't seem to enjoy much in your last EMC game.

yes cant wait.

you could try a new rule. what about: only alowed eight citys, this whod allow you to build the forbiden tempel. and if you could manage to build versilles you will be awarded to grab three more citys. with a total of 11 citys.

Is this posible on imortal, anyone? if not make this a bad sugestion :D

yes cant wait.

you could try a new rule. what about: only alowed eight citys, this whod allow you to build the forbiden tempel. and if you could manage to build versilles you will be awarded to grab three more citys. with a total of 11 citys.

Is this posible on imortal, anyone? if not make this a bad sugestion :D

Sounds great. But 8 cities won´t do...

Wha about this:

limit is 15 cities (is enough to obtain tech lead for a space race victory) and city razing isn´t allowed?

Well, since Aelf doesn`t like going crazy military I would imagine domination is out. So, yeah, it would make sense to work with around 15 cities. I wouldn`t impose any restrictions since immortal is very difficult and to start off playing as efficiently as possible would be key.

The EMC's were great, and an IMC would be just as good. Do it!

Well, I did say that this game will be a warmongering one, so we'll be unleashing the bloodhounds. And, hey, we've done domination once. We can do it again. But it won't be on Pangea, though.

I think an immortal challenge is a good idea because there have not been many on the boards. While I think a lot of people will follow it, I'm not certain how well the experience transcends to people who play on lower difficulties. I think the bulk of the people who have been posting with frequency here in the strat & tips forum are probably prince and monarch players. Some dabble with emperor (yourself, future hermit) and there are few who are playing on immortal/deity. From prince and up, it seems different strategies for success exist on each level. What works on immortal may not work on monarch.

Example: there has been a recent thread laying out the ground work for a compass beeline so it can be traded for the 4 C's. I don't think this works well on monarch (where I play), because by the time I've got compass, the 4 C's aren't readily available for trade. On emperor (and up), a beeline for an odd tech works better because the AI is teching faster. Because of this, improved diplomacy and oddball teching work to your benefit due to the trading available. The game progresses much quicker because you have to figure out how to keep up with the AI. Attempting those strats on lower difficulties can leave one waiting for the AI to 'catch up' with the strategy you're trying to work.

However, if you're looking to try IMCs, then EMCs are in your rearview mirror and a monarch challenge would be a waste of your time. An IMC gives those of us not yet playing on those difficulties a chance to see the game played differently, which is good future training. Perhaps I'm just pointing out the obvious in that each level of difficulty is, in and of itself, a different game.

All that said, I'd like to see you try an IMC with Augustus Caesar. I'm using him right now in a fractal monarch game and I dig the creative/organzied trait combo. Cheap libraries, courthouses, and lighthouses are really nice for quick builder phases and the praetorian speaks for itself. Their UB is also nice. I'm curious to see how clutch cheaper buildings will yield more use of the UU on a higher diffiuclty. On monarch, it's disgusting, lots of CR praets slashing their way across the map.

Definitely would like to see you go up to immortal. So far I have had a few attempts with only one victory so it will be a good learning experience for me.

For those who only play at prince/monarch, I think there are still things you can learn from watching an immortal game. True, the 4Cs compass beeline strategy mentioned by johnny may not work at lower levels (relies on AI getting to Alphabet fast). But you can still learn how to win a quick liberalism race (say AD500), take nationalism as free tech, research gunpowder and have an army of 18 drafted muskets in 6 turns (AD800) to go and kick butt. Its lots of fun and a strategy that works at those levels.

The ALCs are still for those who find Immortal too intimidating to participate. But seriously, Monarch players can still contribute to discussions on an immortal game. At worst, you suggest something suboptimal and when someone suggests something better, you learn something.

As a Monarch level player I totally agree. I don't mind someone proving my suggestions wrong, and I've seen lots of people of all levels giving good suggestions so far in both the EMCs and the ALCs. And of course we're also here for the story-telling. :D That won't change when you go to Immortal, right? So keep it going, aelf.

Thanks, guys. My approach to this game would be slightly different. Instead of the ambitious and grandiose projects that you've been seeing in the EMCs, I would stick to the basics in the Immortal Challege, things that would pretty much apply in Monarch or even Prince games. How much can whipping and warmongering differ, anyway? ;)

I would probably begin this weekend.

Top Bottom