Civ 4 compatible with 64 bit Windows Vista?

Mr. White

Chieftain
I just bought a new laptop with Vista x64. I've been so looking forward to playing Civ 4 finally in all it's glory, but when I try to install it claims this file isn't compatible with my 64 bit system.

Can someone please shed some light on this? I'm clueless and extremely bummed I may have blown 1,200 on a machine that can't rock out C4.

thanks all. :sad:

I can install on my vista64 system...but the game will not run more than 10 turns without getting "Civilization 4 has stopped working" and a crash. So I would say it probably doesn't....

Runs fine here. If you notice, there is a (x86) program files folder. I have all manner of 32-bit apps running.

For the record, it runs absolutely flawlessly on my laptop. Haven't had any problems with Vista at all.

For the record, it runs absolutely flawlessly on my laptop. Haven't had any problems with Vista at all.

So you can or cannot play on your laptop?

I am a little confused by this post in regards to the OP.

I do hope you have it or will have soon resolved this issue

Gramps

Well, I'm not sure what's confusing about it, but yes, it runs perfectly. 16x AA, graphics on high, blue marble mod.....just beautiful.

No hiccups, hitches, nadda. God bless Vista 64x.

Well, I'm not sure what's confusing about it, but yes, it runs perfectly. 16x AA, graphics on high, blue marble mod.....just beautiful.

No hiccups, hitches, nadda. God bless Vista 64x.

Im on heavy pain meds as I have upcoming surgery on this wednesday to get my wrist fused

The "confusing" part was I didnt see you state "all is fine now" so was thinking a typo was involved

Anyhoo

Glad your squared away:old:

How did you get it working?

I am also having a problem getting civ4 running on my new vista 64-bit box. I was able to install and start the game, but as soon as click on the graphics tab (before even getting to changing resolution) it crashes.

I'm running Ultimate SP1, gotten updates, patched civ4 with 1.74, gotten the latest DirectX, the latest video drivers (ATI 4870), ect.

When I put XP Pro 32bit on this box, civ4 runs fine. =(

I had the same problem until I patched to the most current version. Strangely, I had to patch to 1.61, then to 1.74 to get everything working.

Hello! I tried to run Colonization on Vista 64 but it can't start saying "This application has failed to start because d3dx9_33.dll was not found"... Any clue?

directx10 and 9c are not mutually exclusive and microsoft in their wisdom removed some code from 10 that games programmed for 9c need :gripe:
they did reverse this in one of the newer updates of 10 - but still best is to use this version up there :)

So i can install both without screwing up my OS?
Uninstalling 10 is not possible since its part of vista as i understand.

this is good to here, i am buying a vista x64 machine and will run civ4 bts

did anybody here get a performance increase by switching to vista x64 over xp x86 with the same hardware? should i expect a difference?

i have a pop up msg saying d3dx9_33.dll in system32 is either note designed to run on windows or it contains an error. i tried downloading the end user, via the link given above, and i still have the same pop up

im using win7 64bit

I do recommend installing Civ 4 into C:\GAMES\Civ 4

Top Bottom