What language does Ramessess II speak?

Arabic isn't as big as a leap as English. I rather the guy be able to speak the language convincingly than them to get a guy to make an "attempt". I'm not paying for "attempts".

I mean, you really need your Ancient Egytian to be dead accurate? How would you even know? Personally, I'd rather pay for an attempt than a total cop-out, which is what we have now.

Yes. Let's all stand up and boycott the developers for not spending money to train actors to speak a language that no one in the world can speak fluently in 2000 years. :rolleyes:

Arabic isn't as big as a leap as English. I rather the guy be able to speak the language convincingly than them to get a guy to make an "attempt". I'm not paying for "attempts".

I was suprised that my mom told me that when she finished with studing Latin she wasn't ale to speak Latin, because, today they don't practise that( and she was the best in her year). So , now she speaks Latin because she joined to some group where they speak Latin. You can't understand a damn thing when they start chatting:crazyeye:. So, my guess is that they gave those Greece, maybe Latin voice too, to some professors and not to actors. I don't know who could even read old Egypt so fluently.
Maybe I pushed it too far:mischief:. If I understand those few words of Old Greece that Alexandar says, than everybody should be able to read it with a little exercise:p.

I mean, you really need your Ancient Egytian to be dead accurate? How would you even know? Personally, I'd rather pay for an attempt than a total cop-out, which is what we have now.

It doesn't need to be dead accurate but if they are unable to do the language justice (which, let's face it, no one can), then I would prefer they just speak Arabic. It isn't that big of an idea and it'll sound better than a language being slaughtered. The "How would you even know" argument itself is a cop out.

How about you go learn to speak a language that hasn't been spoken for 2500 years and then get a job with Firaxis? Or better yet, teach that language to other people since you would be the only one who could speak it.

I was suprised that my mom told me that when she finished with studing Latin she wasn't ale to speak Latin, because, today they don't practise that( and she was the best in her year). So , now she speaks Latin because she joined to some group where they speak Latin. You can't understand a damn thing when they start chatting:crazyeye:. So, my guess is that they gave those Greece, maybe Latin voice too, to some professors and not to actors. I don't know who could even read old Egypt so fluently.
Maybe I pushed it too far:mischief:. If I understand those few words of Old Greece that Alexandar says, than everybody should be able to read it with a little exercise:p.

I've been taking Latin for 3 years now and I still can't speak it. Our teacher can but she doesn't have us take any speaking quizzes or something.

But I hate translating Latin into English. However, Latin, unlike say ancient Egyptian, is still spoken but of course, it's more of a modern version.

Anyoneknows where can I find Alexander speaking. I heard it on civ 5 main page, but they have moved half of those leaders speaking including Alex :(.

I'm certainly no expert on Ancient Egytian, but I have no doubt that such experts exist. Remember the Youtube video posted earlier in this thread? I'm sure he's not the only person who tries to recreate Ancient Egytian as a hobby.

I'm certainly no expert on Ancient Egytian, but I have no doubt that such experts exist. Remember the Youtube video posted earlier in this thread? I'm sure he's not the only person who tries to recreate Ancient Egytian as a hobby.

How about a video from a more reliable source? An awesome voice like that would make him a great voice actor, but I don't see his credentials anywhere in that video.

Again, the key word is try. I'm not paying for an attempt. I rather him speak Arabic solidly than to trust a game studio to revive dead languages for fun.

That's your preference. I'd rather they attempt it, not just because it would be much cooler, but it would differentiate him more from the other Arabic-speaking leader, and not hurt the immersion of players who speak Arabic.

That's your preference. I'd rather they attempt it, not just because it would be much cooler, but it would differentiate him more from the other Arabic-speaking leader, and not hurt the immersion of players who speak Arabic.

How does him speaking Arabic hurt immersion anymore than the fact he's living for 6000 years as the God Emperor/President/Prime Minister/King of Egypt?

"Hurt immersion" is a little bit of a dramatic way to put it, but it'll certainly be funny and out-of-place. I don't see what other gameplay elements have to do with it -- yes, there are obviously unrealistic things, like units being the size of cities and all that. Would you not find it a little funny, if all the leaders spoke their native languages but Askia spoke English?

I've been taking Latin for 3 years now and I still can't speak it. Our teacher can but she doesn't have us take any speaking quizzes or something.

But I hate translating Latin into English. However, Latin, unlike say ancient Egyptian, is still spoken but of course, it's more of a modern version.

You surely hate those nominativus, genitivus, which word is in Eglish for the, can't find on translatoor. Whatever, English don't has those whatever it's name is. I know, I found- cases, right:D? So, it's easier to translate from Latin to Croatian because we have cases. I remember how hard was English to me at the begining. I thought, how can they speak language without cases. I'm curious, do you have problems with the? I will never learn where to put it. I some rules when to put it, but not all. One of the reasons why I joined civfanatics is not only to chat with people who like Civ, but to improve my English. If you want to learn some language good you have to practice. I had A on first semester and B at the end. I like English, but it's much easier to write than to talk with someone for a long time. Once, after ard day at schoold, I was standing on the main Zagreb sqare, waiting for tram, suddenly, some short Chinese women showed from nowhere and asked me where is hotel(her English was bad, btw) and on which tram line she has to take? Until my brain transported to English, she jumped in the wrong tram that is going on the complitely other side of town. I was really suprised how I started stuttering English because, I taught I know it perfectly:lol:. Imagine that, suddenly, I understood how much do I need to improve and that English isn't so easy as it seems and that you need to practise speech too like all other parts. That reminded me when our primeminister went to Croatian-slovenian border to greet tourists. Some Hungarians came and she said: " I was in Hungaria day after yesterday." I couldn't even look that on TV. And she was a journalist before 90's and like she knows English. I saw that:p. Other time, some dude from EU was talking to her and she was just replying: Yes,yes,yes... " Are you a bit*h miss? Yes.":lol::lol:

"Hurt immersion" is a little bit of a dramatic way to put it, but it'll certainly be funny and out-of-place. I don't see what other gameplay elements have to do with it -- yes, there are obviously unrealistic things, like units being the size of cities and all that. Would you not find it a little funny, if all the leaders spoke their native languages but Askia spoke English?

Don't mention that units are like cities, please. That's the excuse why people ariund me says that civ is stupid and unrealistic that Mediaval Total war. In civ you lead your civ from the dawn of men till space age. In mediaval total war is better for people who like to command to thousands of little people. In civ 5, now you can do it much faster and civ has so many factors which other strategic games don't have. Culture, science ration, tehnology, really good diplomacy mechanic, culture,space,diplomacy victory. Civ is really the best strategy games for all turn-based strategy games and I think that it's really true. Like I said, there is no other games that has so many mechanics, options to win, playstyles,... ITS THE BEST GAME ON THIS PLANET:king::king::king:!!!

Edit: haven't done two posts purposely, I thought somebody will write something in the meantime :)

Don't mention that units are like cities, please. That's the excuse why people ariund me says that civ is stupid and unrealistic that Mediaval Total war. In civ you lead your civ from the dawn of men till space age. In mediaval total war is better for people who like to command to thousands of little people. In civ 5, now you can do it much faster and civ has so many factors which other strategic games don't have. Culture, science ration, tehnology, really good diplomacy mechanic, culture,space,diplomacy victory. Civ is really the best strategy games for all turn-based strategy games and I think that it's really true. Like I said, there is no other games that has so many mechanics, options to win, playstyles,... ITS THE BEST GAME ON THIS PLANET:king::king::king:!!!

Edit: haven't done two posts purposely, I thought somebody will write something in the meantime :)

I'm with you, man. I couldn't care less about units being too big on the map. I'm just bringing it up as an example of how the Civ games are unrealistic in a lot of unimportant ways.

Yes but that's because I speak English. :lol:

You surely hate those nominativus, genitivus, which word is in Eglish for the, can't find on translatoor.

Nominative and Genitive cases? I love those. They're usually so simple to figure out. I hate ablatives even though they should be easy given the context they're used in.

So, it's easier to translate from Latin to Croatian because we have cases. I remember how hard was English to me at the begining. I thought, how can they speak language without cases.

I wonder how anyone can speak languages with cases. ;)

I'm curious, do you have problems with the? I will never learn where to put it. I some rules when to put it, but not all.

There's a word missing after the the. :confused:

One of the reasons why I joined civfanatics is not only to chat with people who like Civ, but to improve my English. If you want to learn some language good you have to practice. I had A on first semester and B at the end. I like English, but it's much easier to write than to talk with someone for a long time. Once, after ard day at schoold, I was standing on the main Zagreb sqare, waiting for tram, suddenly, some short Chinese women showed from nowhere and asked me where is hotel(her English was bad, btw) and on which tram line she has to take? Until my brain transported to English, she jumped in the wrong tram that is going on the complitely other side of town. I was really suprised how I started stuttering English because, I taught I know it perfectly:lol:. Imagine that, suddenly, I understood how much do I need to improve and that English isn't so easy as it seems and that you need to practise speech too like all other parts. That reminded me when our primeminister went to Croatian-slovenian border to greet tourists. Some Hungarians came and she said: " I was in Hungaria day after yesterday." I couldn't even look that on TV. And she was a journalist before 90's and like she knows English. I saw that:p. Other time, some dude from EU was talking to her and she was just replying: Yes,yes,yes... " Are you a bit*h miss? Yes.":lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Sometimes, I feel like Latin would be easier to speak slowly than to ever translate but that's because I hate translating (with a passion). It's so difficult we don't even bother translating Latin into English except very simple sentences.

I'm with you, man. I couldn't care less about units being too big on the map. I'm just bringing it up as an example of how the Civ games are unrealistic in a lot of unimportant ways.

I know that all on this forum love civ, but I don't like hearing that units are bigger than cities because, someone could take that as to biggest reason why not to play civ series:D.

I wonder how anyone can speak languages with cases. ;)

There's a word missing after the the. :confused:

Sometimes, I feel like Latin would be easier to speak slowly than to ever translate but that's because I hate translating (with a passion). It's so difficult we don't even bother translating Latin into English except very simple sentences.

Speaking with cases is so much easier. You don't have to put all of those. You would be so happy if Croatian would be your mother tongue, because we read as we write.
I hate in English game that you read my name Ivan wrong. How to explain that ?
When I say that we read as we write(few words are exeptions). This rule is really important in Serbian, they would write John= Džon(that's how John is read and you read that way but you don't have right letters to write that:p). Ivan is Ivan not like how you pronunciate something like Ajvan. That's not my name. John=Ivan. Apostle John= apostle Ivan. I haven't explained a damn thing, have I:lol:? I adore Latin and we almost never translate from Croatian to Latin, it's hard. You can forget to put on the right places nominativ, objectiv case, and all of those parts of sentence to Latin. It's an easier for me to translate from Latin to Croatian(I'm the first year now).Easy Latin sentence I can translate in a minute if I know all of the words. It's easier, I don't understand how can bother you translate from language with cases (Latin) to language without cases(English). It's so easy to translate from Croatian( cases) to English(no cases). I though that you can translate Latin on English in few seconds, really.

Thats a terrible anolgy. That dosent even remotly work. Napoleon's land wasnt conqured and forced to speak another language. You have it backwards. Ramesses, in the game is speaking the language that was spread throughout the country to unify the under the Arad control. So that Napoleon anolgy is totally not fitting. They should have at least tried to recreate the old Egyptian language (which there are people that know it!).

... Egypt was not more forced to speak arabic than Gaul was to speak latin. And yet...

If they managed to create good sounding Ancient Egypt language for the movie Mummy its a little dissapointment that they use arabic in this game. The version used in the movie is most likely as good as any other and it sounds ten times better than that Arabic language.

If they managed to create good sounding Ancient Egypt language for the movie Mummy its a little dissapointment that they use arabic in this game. The version used in the movie is most likely as good as any other and it sounds ten times better than that Arabic language.
QFT
I am one of this people that doesn't mind if its a Hollywood style ancient Egyptian if it's so difficult to recreate it. But Arabic from the mouth of Ramesses is just wrong.

QFT
I am one of this people that doesn't mind if its a Hollywood style ancient Egyptian if it's so difficult to recreate it. But Arabic from the mouth of Ramesses is just wrong.

:agree:

Top Bottom