Deity Challenge #14 - India

I am trying to wrap my head around trying to beat a deity game with one hand tied behind my back, thanks Grendrldef;)

I keep thinking how to do it especially part about not taking caps if other continent has a settlement and not city selling. It would be ok with any other civ BUT India :lol:

I think I will try something along the lines of super fast blitz to get all AI caps before anyone settles New World. Will be hard without AI money to do it. I will most likely fail, but might be fun or at least educational.

I've been hooked on this for several hours too long trying to figure out what outcome would be least embarrassing defeat but haven't decided that yet. I'm ~T268 now & it's been 30 turns next to stalemate. Highly unlikely I can win but I'll prolong this as long as possible so I can fine tune the settings for future games. At this point I can safely say that large instead of std was a mistake or really game AI a fighting chance depending on one's pov. I assumed AI would expand a bit but the extent was a surprise - 3 largest AIs combined have 130+ cities and yes, the times of feeling lonely on the other continent are long gone.
The capping capitals rule is by far the greatest obstacle in road to success. Worked few patches back on a smaller map but here it really seems overwhelming.
Obviously several things I could've done differently but I can't see an easy way to stop the massive AI expansion - extremely lively game even when I wasn't in a war. I'll write a proper play through to the ashtray in the morning.

What a rollercoaster! Turn 290 culture victory... and my first "real" deity win without cooked settings or rerolled starts. :D

Did not expect to do it with India, or with a culture victory, let alone together. :lol:

Spoiler :
The biggest setback was losing Mumbai, the city with the Oracle, to the Americans, because they got B-27 bombers while I had no Flight. I decided to go for a peace deal and bunker down regardless. Peak culture was 780 per turn with Mumbai, then 750 per turn afterwards. I mined on top of some of the landmarks in order to get a 7 turn Utopia. Was a real nailbiter as both France and Russia were very close to completing their spaceships. In the end I paid everybody to go to war with everybody and DOW'd Catherine and Napoleon myself for good measure. Have no idea exactly how close I came to losing, but it was close.

I've been hooked on this for several hours too long trying to figure out what outcome would be least embarrassing defeat but haven't decided that yet. I'm ~T268 now & it's been 30 turns next to stalemate. Highly unlikely I can win but I'll prolong this as long as possible so I can fine tune the settings for future games. At this point I can safely say that large instead of std was a mistake or really game AI a fighting chance depending on one's pov. I assumed AI would expand a bit but the extent was a surprise - 3 largest AIs combined have 130+ cities and yes, the times of feeling lonely on the other continent are long gone.
The capping capitals rule is by far the greatest obstacle in road to success. Worked few patches back on a smaller map but here it really seems overwhelming.
Obviously several things I could've done differently but I can't see an easy way to stop the massive AI expansion - extremely lively game even when I wasn't in a war. I'll write a proper play through to the ashtray in the morning.

Yeah, special rules can make things interesting, but I think ALL the rules + these settings + India was a bit over the top :p I don't think I hate myself enough to try this one(although I thought the same thing about the Arabia one :lol:)

Yeah, special rules can make things interesting, but I think ALL the rules + these settings + India was a bit over the top :p I don't think I hate myself enough to try this one(although I thought the same thing about the Arabia one :lol:)

Could be, could be but had I ignored the capital capping rule while keeåing the others it would've have been an easy win - no I have still 3 to go or if I'd gone for SV the launch would've taken place around 230-240 so there's nothing wrong with India. The only thing screwing this up and making it significally slower is the capping rule - it could've been written in form
Spoiler :
Domination VC will only happen when the 2nd continent has no other cities but yours & CSs. Later starters are encouraged to follow this instead of the original if any.

My clear mistake was to use large map and the original capital rule - probably a doomed combo but for me it comes back to the original idea of 'what's the point of game one can't lose?' but I also recognize it's not catered for everyone so following every rule wasn't mandatory as I said in the beginning and extremely nice to see a cult victory.

Anyway, the story continues
Spoiler :

After taking Washington I decided after all go peacefully as Cathy was massive and I had no adjacent cities to her also Attila was too on the other side of two CSs and a lake and impossible to bribe to war, very odd indeed.

Befriended with Nappy, Gustavus & Dido so I got 3RAs going on from T115. Build two settlers one to settle on the coast and one to sail overseas as soon possible, around T120 accompanied by two caravels, a conquistador, an IWE and scouts. Unfortunately I didn't find the shortest way across the sea and the distance was greater than expected so I had to postpone discovering industrial for some 12-14 turns as I founded the 5th city on T154 & hit industrial then two turns later. Cathy went there T139 so I was slowly catching up but she had way more techs than I did. Few turns after that I bought a settler and went North towards the desert area to settle for oil as soon as it was available, alumininium was around so I wasn't too worried.
Finished PT on T158, got RA with Sully, too and was 3rd on Literacy only 3% behind Cathy just after RAs but 10 turns more & she'd runaway again up to 10% so some decently impressive bpt without RAs as she fighting 4 wars simultaneously - I wasn't totally innocent for that but what annoyed me seriously is the AIs skill to collectively play against me while they're with each other. Nappy had 3 times the military Cathy, Sully & Attila had and yet Attila does absolutely nothing, Nappy hugs the border but nothing more while Cathy mops the floor with Sully & still manages to settle on every freakin' tile around. This and running away with tech which isn't visible on the battlefield nor had she as much money or gpt than the rest of the bunch. In total I paid Nappy for times to attack and none of those made any new cities availlable in Tour de France. He took two Askia's original cities in their 1st war.

Cathy went Modern on T183 while others were dropping off the pace significantly and went renaissaince few turns after that. England was downt to two cities, Dido played OCC and somebody had released Washington out of his misery Sully having crappy cities all around me.
Finished Louvre T189 to have some GA time later after a natural one which was tricky and slow to achieve but it did nice things to my mediocre cash flow. Plastics @T191 but I build instead of buying RLs apart from one - apparently the cash had better things to support. Cathy went Atomic T205 and finished Manhattan & Apollo practically right after that so I bulbed few GSs and bought a GE with faith to get Hubble T228. A change of focus even at this would give a launch date somewhere around T250-T260 but that's beside the point. Cathy was building parts so a war was imminent unfortunately she also had the largest military so I couldn't get anyone else to go along with me.
Initial nuke fest to get rid of the closest cities and nukes but it's inconvenient due to the nearby CSs and Ottoman cities and moreover their units - I really didn't need two front wars at this point.
As I left it last night I was (slowly) capturing Russian cities around Moscow while nuking Moscow occasionally the keep it unoccupied while my few bought SBs & cruisers were hammering local Russia settlements - not real military resistance there but the cities 150+ def takes a while. As I couldn't keep nor needed anymore crap cities I liberated few for Sully hoping that he'll get on my side sooner rather than later. On the other continent I ran into problems with captured cities as I couldn't raze them constantly as it'd put me double digit negative which I can't afford yet but I can't keep them either so I circumvented the rule which I didn't clarify clearly enough - capture, annex & sell or capture & give away. Two possible solutions neither one which I'm happy about but for plausibility I might have to do. The original idea & my rule from the past was that annexed city can be sold after the resistance period is over - giving cities away is a meh, uncertainty.

Policywise two Patronage fillers after Tradition, Rationalism open T133, then 2 in Order, back to Rationaslism for Secularism, Patronage left side and the last one yet to Free Thought. An odd path but I had way too few worker throughout so I've lacked trading posts and therefore money.

This might go for a while as I hope none of the others are going for early sci VC so I'll have some time to kick Cathy around. If possible I want Nappy to engage the war and help him out in taking Moscow so I don't have to clear the other continent. After that it'd be a 3 horse race between me, him & Attila which is much probable to end satisfactory.

Pics.
Spoiler :

I have few wartime pics like these as well but as they look like crap it's a waste of space to have more - hopefully others aren't suffering degenerating textures in the game.

Spoiler :

Some difficulty value added by graphics in start of the war.

I assumed this meant Cathy was one short of space ship so nuking Moscow & surroundings become increasingly temptive.

Spoiler :
Wow this map is already trying my patience. Turn 40 and Washington forward settles on both the salt and pearls. Declares war on Turn 50. Took the cotton and decide to play it out a bit to see if it is salvageable He gets great wall, hits Renaissance on turn 80, and since he had long swords I assume it is likely minutemen. Quit the game.

No problem, try again just need to be a little quicker. Washington settles his fourth city on the salt at turn 34, 2 turns before I would have been able to take it. Sigh...

Hey, third times a charm, right? Manage to get four cities up, but a double DoW by both Washington and Suleiman. Not overly concerned, but then a barb sneaks in from the back and pillages all my tiles. /ragequit... enough for one night.

I haven't given up on this map yet, at least not until I can give it one good attempt. Washington being a complete jerkface isn't making it easy though. I don't know if I should be amused or annoyed that it was Washington in my last India game that was a roadblock as well.

^Excellent persistence, worse luck. I'm taking a day off with this trying to figure out how to interpret my rules.

Spoiler :

Yeah, Georgie boy was really trying to kick the natives out of their lands - 6 cities before T50 and still settling new locations when I took his cities instead of building units to defend. Sadly those cities were nowhere near luxes but later it turned out that there where oil & uranium.

Whether or not my game works out as a win I'm gonna test the same ruleset on std 8/16 (or possibly 8/20) map which in theory seems much easier now - even with the annoying graphics bugs and a new bug at least to me. After clearing fallouts from flood plains they turned into normal desert tiles with an adjacent river; not so cool when trying get the pop back.

I've finally accepted that pottery first just isn't going to work. I like to try and work a shrine in for the pantheon since unless you have someone like Haile next to you, it usually lasts a long time. Two techs to masonry/trapping is just too much to try and get a settler out before turn 35.

Wait... Science victory is disabled?

Didn't read carefully before trying this game, now into 200+, but India seems to be a great civ for domination/science.

Not sure about cultural as I see no advantage of going culture with India, the UA can take care of late game higr puppet population easily so it is more of a Domination UA rather than small tall empire approach.

Also going Tradition with India is a misunderstanding of the UA. Capital only benefit from Tradition 25%. I think Liberty settler is better. Can slowly expand to 3 or 4 cities while keeping happy and growing all the time.

Wait... Science victory is disabled?

Nope - all VCs are allowed otherwise the AI is screwed. Sci & diplo are only unadvised VCs as those are easy - dom is obviously, too but that's what the extra rules are for. Unfortunately the capital rule evolved itself to become much more than originally intended but that's why I've said few times already that the game is flexible - pick up the rules you want & go conquering. Cult VC is problematic enough without extra rules.

Also going Tradition with India is a misunderstanding of the UA. Capital only benefit from Tradition 25%. I think Liberty settler is better. Can slowly expand to 3 or 4 cities while keeping happy and growing all the time.

yes, but does it outweigh LE and the trad finisher? since they both seem obvious boosts of the UA.

I've finally accepted that pottery first just isn't going to work. I like to try and work a shrine in for the pantheon since unless you have someone like Haile next to you, it usually lasts a long time. Two techs to masonry/trapping is just too much to try and get a settler out before turn 35.

I went for pottery first.

Spoiler :
Mining was the first lux tech, Masonry the second, Calendars the third, and Trapping the last. As I recall, I went Philosophy before Trapping. At capital size 3, with a granary (scout - monument - granary - settler - settler), I hard built 2 settlers consecutively. I was negative happiness for a short time after founding the second city. I mined the salt first and brought the worker down to work the quarry for the marble after that. I put the third city on top of the cotton. After taking care of per-city unhappiness, I was pretty much in the clear for avoiding negative happiness. The second city, on a hill next to salt, built a library first, and the library was bought in the third. I may have had some whales or something in there too, from a city state...

Nope - all VCs are allowed otherwise the AI is screwed. Sci & diplo are only unadvised VCs as those are easy - dom is obviously, too but that's what the extra rules are for. Unfortunately the capital rule evolved itself to become much more than originally intended but that's why I've said few times already that the game is flexible - pick up the rules you want & go conquering. Cult VC is problematic enough without extra rules.

Culture will be changed significantly in BNW so I will skip it for now.
Domination is so painful with large map, so after conquering Washington I settled for peaceful science approach while having the leftover army to deter AI random DOW.

yes, but does it outweigh LE and the trad finisher? since they both seem obvious boosts of the UA.

Not sure how to compare but I like the +1 happy per city in Liberty, fits better for domination.
Other than India, I will consider Tradition depending on the map. but for India definitely Liberty.

Spoiler :
Well, I think this map is beyond me. After a few reloads and a 400 gold bribe to my bro Atilla to keep Washington off my back, I was able to actually get it going. 79 NC, 115 Unis. The point I am at in the game now is actually very similar to the first one you posted, Grendel. I have all of Washington puppeted :)D :D :D), although I've managed to keep Ottomans mostly off of that part of the continent. The others are fairly crippled or contained.

Problem is time. I think a regular domination game with zero rules would be pushing it, so not sure how the hell I'd be able to get a settler to the new world, clear out the Ottomans, clear the new world of Huns, then swing back again to finish off Huns all within 100 turns.

I'll look at the map again later, but I think it would take a much better player than myself to pull it off.

I was going to bring this challenge back to life as well but after all the rules Im so confused I think I will just let it be. It appears not too many people actually played this one out as well :(

Top Bottom