New City States

Frankly I think Mbanza-Kongo could easily be a maritime or mercantile CS - it was a trading center in the region and had connections with the Portuguese.

At the same time, it could also easily be a cultural or religious CS - it was an important place for the diffusion of Christianity.

Frankly I think Mbanza-Kongo could easily be a maritime or mercantile CS - it was a trading center in the region and had connections with the Portuguese.

At the same time, it could also easily be a cultural or religious CS - it was an important place for the diffusion of Christianity.

It's too far from the sea to be Maritime, and reading from the Wikipedia article, it has a strong religious feel to it.

It's too far from the sea to be Maritime, and reading from the Wikipedia article, it has a strong religious feel to it.

I would expect Vatican City will remain a CS regardless if Italy is included. It is one of the only true independent "city states" in the world today. Also, Wittenberg is a religious CS even though it is a German town.

Belgrade doesn't appear on any screenshot, it's briefly seen during the PAX demo when they scroll from over the map to the XCOM squad.
Judging by Mbanza-Kongo's history it could either be maritime, because it was a very big city already when the Portoguese arrived, or religious.

If we view a civs possible inclusion as costing a city state, some civs will have higher costs than others.

Italy has the highest cost: -4. Phoenicia and Belgium are tied for cost at -2 each. Other candidates only cost -1 each.

Italy:-2 cultured, -1 mercantile, -1 maritime (Vatican City will remain independent of Italy as it is today.)
Belgium: -1 cultured, -1 mercantile
Phoenicia: -1 militaristic, -1 mercantile.
Hungary: -1 militaristic
Marrakech -1 mercantile
Timurids: -1 militaristc
Vietnam: -1 militaristic

etc.

The higher the cost, the less likely a civ is included if we assume that their is no broader readjustment going on. Which would make Italy less likely than Vietnam. If a readjustment is going on then the most likely is the suggestion that a wave of African cs is being added for flavor due to the Scramble for Africa scenario. Mbanza-Kongo might point to this instead of a replacement for say Marrakech.

I made a little chart based on my theory that there is a geographical/cultural component to cs replacement selection.
How does this sound?

Confirmed | Speculation

Lisbon → Riga Reason: Both Western/European Atlantic ports
Rio de Janiero → Panama City Reason: Both Western/Latin American ports
Warsaw → Bratislava Reason: Both Central/Eastern European
Budapest → Sofia Reason: Both Central/Eastern European
Marrakech → Mbanza-Kongo Reason: Both African
Jakarta → Ur Reason: Both Indian Ocean ports
Hanoi → Angkor Reason: Both Southeast Asian

The Zulu and Assyria did not affect CS distribution.

For it to hold up, the 1:1 replacement scenario would need to go undisturbed by an outside redistribution. Given what we have seen so far, I still think its the likeliest scenario. There are several fun ways to up end it, but I don't want to ramble too much.

I hope the mbanza-kongo be a mercantile and we see the berbers with marrakech

If we view a civs possible inclusion as costing a city state, some civs will have higher costs than others.

Timurids: -1 militaristc

Well I don't think that the inclusion of Timurids needs to exclude any city state, supposing you mean Almaty as the militaristic city-state. On most of the maps I have seen Almaty wasn't inside Timurid borders, but in some they were. Altough the inclusion of timurids should/would mean that persian and mongol citylists will need a rework.

You should also note that there is only one extra maritime city state that is unaccounted for.

Yes, Ragusa could be part of a Venetian city state list, but let's just be honest here, they aren't adding Venice as a stand alone Civilization. If they went for anything, it would be Italy, and whilst Ragusa is relevant to Venice, it's not to Italy as a whole.

I wouldn't be so absolutist there. After all, combined with the hints about a luxury, there's a still plausible argument for them.

How could it be Maritime? It's no where near the coast.

How could it be Maritime? It's no where near the coast.

Quebec City isn't on the coast either. Anyhow I thought Mbanza-Kongo was near the Kongo river or a tributary of it, though I might be wrong.

If Mbzana-Kongo is mercantile, it could be a replacement for Zanzibar. Then assuming Ur replaces Mombasa, it could point to a Swahili civ. They try to keep the city states within the same cultural groups when they replace them and in both cases we have new Mid-East/African art-style cities.

If Mbzana-Kongo is mercantile, it could be a replacement for Zanzibar. Then assuming Ur replaces Mombasa, it could point to a Swahili civ. They try to keep the city states within the same cultural groups when they replace them and in both cases we have new Mid-East/African art-style cities.

Zanzibar's already been confirmed as a CS, sadly. Swahili would've been cool.

Quebec City isn't on the coast either. Anyhow I thought Mbanza-Kongo was near the Kongo river or a tributary of it, though I might be wrong.

Isn't Quebec City directly on the Saint Lawrence River, which allows it to act as a port? Quebec City is also quite close to the sea thanks to that. Mbanza-Kongo is not just inland, but very inland. Again, I don't get the grasping at straws, surely we should be able to keep it simple rather than building these elaborate ideas which are only going to be shattered time and time again?

Yes, I can confirm that Quebec City is most assuredly on the Saint Lawrence River, where it narrows, and it's understandable to call them Maritime:

Here is a map of how it is located on the Saint Lawrence River:

It certainly isn't "inland" as such.

For comparison, here is the city in question:

Definitely Maritime!

if Kongo is mercantile maybe it replaces Cahokia?

Why would it be Mercantile? It's a cultural and religious centre.

Top Bottom