Adjusted UA's for BNW- No New UU's

The Aztech's ability has always felt like a lot of work for not much pay off to me, so here is my change.

Aztech

Killing a unit doubles culture gain next turn.

Capturing a city quadruples culture gain next turn.

This way it scales well into the late game, and lets them play a unique culture game that rewards aggression.

I Was playing with Spain These days,Me and Askia competing for Religion (Uluru vs Desert Folklore),and At the end i was with 669 of culture,if i was with Aztecs that will be so much overpowered

Yes you are right , the English free spy represents the 1st model for changing UA's simply by adding a small addendum to the existing one, ideally represented an aspect from a new mechanic.
I just can't think of one for America >_<
The German military industrial complex UA seems a bit too much of a change based on how the developers work, that's why I thought up the Germanic artifacts bonus to reward then for thier barbarian focus.

If you wanted to change America's UA to fit BNW mechanics you'd have to do a total revamp like France. The obvious BNW mechanic for America to exploit is tourism and the current UA relates to when that wasn't really a thing. Something like this would work:

Coca-colonization
Double tourism from trade routes. Great Merchants can perform trade missions to major civs; instead of the influence boost they increase tourism to that civ (like the Great Musician's concert tour).

I Was playing with Spain These days,Me and Askia competing for Religion (Uluru vs Desert Folklore),and At the end i was with 669 of culture,if i was with Aztecs that will be so much overpowered

Yeah. People when trying to pitch ideas always seem to forget that when adding things to a UA one should: a. consider the UU's and UB's, b. think of any exploits for such additions, c. consider any overlap with other UA's in playstyle.

Yes, the Aztecs have a rather weak UA in terms of scaling, but their amazing UU and wonderful-if-available UB more than make up for it.

Perhaps a 50% boost on unit kill and a 200% boost on city capture would be better than.

I'd just like UA's that take a lot of effort to get full benefit be worth it.

On that note, I hope Natural Wonders give tourism so Spain gets a buff.

Perhaps a 50% boost on unit kill and a 200% boost on city capture would be better than.

I'd just like UA's that take a lot of effort to get full benefit be worth it.

On that note, I hope Natural Wonders give tourism so Spain gets a buff.

It is but only in the early game, where early culture gain is truly worth it. Getting the Liberty Finisher for example ten turns earlier than expected is always worth it, for the tangible gains in planting any given GP at that time. It loses potency, but it assumes that you've already gained a competitive advantage from earlier use. Can you imagine if it scaled? 8 Culture at the start of the game is about 4-5 turns worth of culture on Epic production from your capital and is about 23% of the bar for the first policy. Take note that this is in Epic, so the numbers are likely to be much more lopsided in faster games. Now imagine if for every kill in the modern era, you gain a similarly scaled bonus. For every kill of a Tank, you gain about a quarter of the culture needed for your next policy. Now imagine if you had been warring all throughout the game. If the UA scaled, depending on how well you've gone for culture, and how rampant you've gone, you might have actually run out of policies to gain.

Yes, I can imagine some NW's get Tourism, Mt. Fuji for example but no to buffing Spain. They tend to be either hilariously OP or absolutely average with a thankful tendency for the latter.

I like the limitations you propose, so here go my suggestion:

•America
All land military units have +1 sight range. 50% discount when purchasing tiles. Can buy tiles belonging to another civ.

This would make America a very dangerous rival mid to late game, as they could push right into you territory and take all kind of resources, even worse if America uses some citadels. Of course it wouldnt be without diplomatic repercution with the former owner of the tiles.

It even ties nicely to their expansionistic history (which its UA is all about), and it would turn America into a very dangerous expansionistic power, rather than just the early game bonus it has right now.

•Aztecs:
Gains Culture for the empire from each enemy unit killed, doubled if near Great General.

I think its rather clear, just a way to help the Aztecs keep on producing decent amounts of culture via killing later in the game. It would give them even more synergy with the Honor tree.

•Mongolia
Pillaging improvements weakens city defenses. All mounted units have +1 Movement.

(yes its a bit of a dramatic change but I think it works better than the original)

Ok so here's the thing, going only after CS doesnt sound like something the Mongols would do, they took down the largest empires of their day after all. If you let the Mongols roam free through your contryside and pillage, your cities will fall soon after, you are forced to stop them instead of turtling behind a city. As a Mongol, it takes even more advantage of your +1 movement as you want to pillage as much as you can before attacking a city. This would make the Mongols a treat to everyone not just CS's.

I won't comment too much on the other two, I don't think those civs really need help but that's just me...

But American bonus... No. Bringing "a" settler to have one city within close range of whoever you are invading is one thing. Using it to start tunneling into your opponent taking Citadels, negating the Great Wall... No... Way too many negative ramifications.

It is but only in the early game, where early culture gain is truly worth it. Getting the Liberty Finisher for example ten turns earlier than expected is always worth it, for the tangible gains in planting any given GP at that time. It loses potency, but it assumes that you've already gained a competitive advantage from earlier use. Can you imagine if it scaled? 8 Culture at the start of the game is about 4-5 turns worth of culture on Epic production from your capital and is about 23% of the bar for the first policy. Take note that this is in Epic, so the numbers are likely to be much more lopsided in faster games. Now imagine if for every kill in the modern era, you gain a similarly scaled bonus. For every kill of a Tank, you gain about a quarter of the culture needed for your next policy. Now imagine if you had been warring all throughout the game. If the UA scaled, depending on how well you've gone for culture, and how rampant you've gone, you might have actually run out of policies to gain.

Yes, I can imagine some NW's get Tourism, Mt. Fuji for example but no to buffing Spain. They tend to be either hilariously OP or absolutely average with a thankful tendency for the latter.

I play on Marathon mode where even in war turns pass between something dieing, so thats my perspective.

Perhaps the ratio of turns where units die to turns where nothing happens is different on standard.

The only buff to Spain would be them doubling the Tourism yield like they double every other NW yield.

For America, instead of buying tiles, instead you can settle in land that is already owned and steal it to our civ. Would be very powerful against wide spammy AI, and AI that have a lot of land but few cities.

I would prefer no UAs involving rivers, as they area already extremely powerful, and the removal of one gold from river tiles probably won't change that much. A find I can predict whether I'll win in singleplayer 90% of the time based on how many river tiles are nearby.

For this reason, my UA for India is:
+20% growth and -20% unhappiness from population in all unoccupied cities that do not have a courthouse.

While it sounds very uninteresting for a UA, it pushes for a tall, peaceful strategy. The growth part may be OP early on perhaps.

Mongolia
30% strength against CS units and cities. Can demand a great person as tribute once from each city state that fears you after researching Chivalry. All mounted units have +1 movement.

The GP would depending on the type of CS. Mongolia would need to explore to find more CSs to extort GPs from. If too powerful, the tribute can simply be gold, but that's less fun.

I think the spy is supposed to reference James Bond.

I was under the impression that it was a reference to Francis Walsingham, Elizabeth's spymaster. His activities seem like the most prominent of early state espionage, dealing with all manner of assassination and invasion threats, with an extensive spy network. In particular, the whole episode with Mary, Queen of Scots (secret plots, hidden letters, double agents, etc..) reads like a spy novel. For that period, it seems like the most well known state spy network, though I wouldn't venture if they were at all better than any other country.

In the spirit of the thread, the first four are minor adjustments.

Egypt &#8211; Monument Builders
+20% :c5production: Production towards Wonder construction. Receive a free artifact from every existing Burial Tomb when Archaeology is researched.

Japan &#8211; Bushido
Units fight as though they were at full strength even when damaged. Receive :c5culture: Culture when your units are destroyed in combat.

America &#8211; Manifest Destiny
All land military units have +1 sight. 50% discount when purchasing tiles. May select which tile to expand to next.

Mongolia &#8211; Mongol Terror
All mounted units have +1 :c5moves: Movement. +15% :c5strength: Combat Strength against cities that share a border with Mongolia.

--------
The ones below are completely overhauled:

Rome &#8211; Caput Mundi
Your capital receives +1 :c5production: Production from each city connected to it via road. Receive a free Coliseum in each city connected to the capital.

Korea &#8211; Hermit Kingdom
Internal :c5trade: Trade Routes each grant +3 :c5science: Science per turn. Other civilizations cannot see past your borders from the outside.

Greece &#8211; Palintropos
25% of your base :c5science: Science yield generates extra :c5culture: Culture, and vice versa.

Palintropos (from Heraclitus, an ancient Greek philosopher, means roughly &#8220;backward-turning&#8221; or &#8220;of opposite tension.&#8221; Like the string of a bow creating tension on both ends, this UA creates tension between the cultural and scientific realms, reflecting the nature of Greek philosophy (which in turn promoted scientific advancement and promoted Greek culture)).

&#8220;People do not understand how that which is at variance with itself agrees with itself. There is a harmony in the bending back, as in the cases of the bow and the lyre.&#8221;

Germany &#8211; Blitzkrieg
+30% :c5strength: Combat Strength for 3 turns against a civilization you declare war against. +1 :c5production: Production from military buildings.

Russia &#8211; General Winter
Enemy units suffer 1 HP damage per turn in Russian territory, 10 HP damage if they end a turn on snow or tundra. Pay 25% less maintenance for land units.

Spain &#8211; Reconquista
Receive a 20% :c5strength: Combat Bonus against cities you formerly controlled. Foreign religions spread at half speed to your cities. Foreign missionaries and Great Prophets may not enter your territory without open borders.

For Palintropos, to prevent crashing the game from having infinite recursive values, it should be based on base :c5science: science and base :c5culture: culture yields (or with non-Palintropos modifiers added in as well).

For Palintropos, to prevent crashing the game from having infinite recursive values, it should be based on base :c5science: science and base :c5culture: culture yields.

Ah, you know what, I need to edit that; I had that written down originally. Where did my base go?! :goodjob:

Russia – General Winter
Enemy units suffer 10 HP damage if they end a turn on snow or tundra in Russian territory. Pay 25% less maintenance for land units.

Still not much of an incentive to settle up there. Also, what's wrong with the current Russian Unique Ability? It seems fine as it is.

Spain &#8211; Reconquista
Receive a 20% :c5strength: Combat Bonus against cities you formerly controlled. Foreign religions spread at half speed to your cities. Foreign missionaries and Great Prophets may not enter your territory without open borders.

Spain currently has one of the most interesting and play-style defining UA's, and that would replace it with the most boring and reactionary one possible.

Blitzkrieg sounds great though.

Spain currently has one of the most interesting and play-style defining UA's, and that would replace it with the most boring and reactionary one possible.

Blitzkrieg sounds great though.

I tend to agree on Spain; that was the roughest of the bunch.

I have one to add:

Netherlands &#8211; Dutch East India Company
Retain 50% of the :c5happy: happiness benefits from a Luxury Resource if your last copy of it is traded away. Trade Ships have :c5trade: unlimited range and have increased :c5strength: strength when defending.

Byzantines
Patriarchate of Constantinople: Choose one more Belief than normal when founding a Religion. Walls and Castles produce +1 :c5faith:.
Cataphract: Replaces Knight. 120 :c5production: 20 :c5strength: 4 :c5moves:. Receives defense bonuses from terrain. Can move after attacking. No penalty when attacking cities.
Dromon: Unchanged.

Germany
German Ingenuity: Units are recruited with +15 XP. +1 :c5production: from Barracks, Armory, Military Academy, and Heroic Epic. +20% :c5greatperson: when at war.
Hanseatic Guild House: Replaces Bank. 200 :c5production:. No maintenance. +25% gold. 1 :c5citizen: Great Merchant slots. Domestic Trade Routes originating from this city yield +3 :c5gold: +2 :c5culture:.
Panzer: Replaces Tank. 375 :c5production: 80 :c5strength: 6 :c5moves:. No defensive bonuses. Can move after attacking. Ignores enemy zones of control. Charge promotion.

America
Manifest Destiny: All military units receive +1 sight. Half culture and gold cost for acquiring and purchasing tiles. Workers build roads and railroads at double speed. City connections provide +1 :c5happy:.
Minutman: Unchanged.
B17: Unchanged.

Top Bottom