-33% BNW on Steam Flash Sale

For the people who are wondering why you would pre-order a digital game, I usually do it when I trust the company and they give a pre-order discount. Didn't work for me this time though :)

Exactly. It's almost a "I trust you, here's £20 a month in advance of the game being released, I won't wait for the reviews, I trust it'll be a good game and worth my time."

There's no reason to pre-order if there's both a risk of a dud game and a risk of paying a premium for it!!

If that pub down the road would charge more for a pint to a regular customer than a random person who just walked in for no good reason, you'd feel cheated too.
Not a good analogy. A better analogy would be if the pub had a surprise happy hour special one day and I just happened to miss it. And no, I wouldn't feel cheated.

I`m very happy with brave new worlds but i did pay 6 euro`s to much for it if they make a sale on day 1. This makes me a bit pissed.

This was a bizarre twist. Last time I pre-order :mad:. Not that I care about a few bucks but for the principle of it, I feel like I got ripped off for putting my faith in them and giving my money up front. And I get rewarded for my early contribution by a F*** U because F*** U.

The fact of the matter is, when you bought the game for $26.99 (or whatever amount for Europe) you agreed the content was worth that amount. Beating yourself up over 7 bucks seems silly. That's lunch at Burger King.

So you payed more, so what? More support for Firaxis isn't a bad thing. And I'm pretty sure most people would've payed 7 extra bucks just to play a few days earlier even if they knew about the flash sale.

I'm happy for the patient people out there were rewarded.

Day 1 -33% sale while it was -10% for those who cared and bought it early...

What? Seriously?

Thankfully I bought it on GMG for 20$, and I guess those who got it on Steam (which was 26eur/usd) deserve it - if you got it on GMG like I did, you would lose exactly nothing, and gain if you were from the majority of Europe (it's better to pay 20 USD than 20EUR).

The fact of the matter is, when you bought the game for $26.99 (or whatever amount for Europe) you agreed the content was worth that amount. Beating yourself up over 7 bucks seems silly. That's lunch at Burger King.

So you payed more, so what? More support for Firaxis isn't a bad thing. And I'm pretty sure most people would've payed 7 extra bucks just to play a few days earlier even if they knew about the flash sale.

WRONG. You dont know what the content is worth because its not fully reviewed. Your risk is balanced by paying less. Go away troll.
Moderator Action: Please don't call anyone a troll. It's seen as trolling itself.

WRONG. You dont know what the content is worth because its not fully reviewed. Your risk is balanced by paying less. Go away troll.

You were willing to pay that amount so it's your fault. You knew there was a Steam Sale around the corner but you were too excited to play early.

Let's be honest. The sale wasn't meant for most people on this website. Most of us bought this day one and were glad to pay the amount. This sale is for people who weren't die hard fans, or those who don't play Civ. The sale brings exposure and potentially more die hards for the future.

If some people are so upset over 7 bucks, maybe they shouldn't buy video games on release in the first place. It's never a smart move financially.

This is exactly right. +1 to everything you wrote here.

To everyone whining right now: Would you feel "cheated" if this sale had happened a few months later? What about one month later? A couple of weeks? One week? At what point is the line in the sand drawn after which point it is "acceptable" for someone else to get something for a few dollars less than you spent? You must realize that being upset about a sale simply because it happened soon after release is totally arbitrary if you aren't against sales 100% of the time.

To everyone whining right now: Would you feel "cheated" if this sale had happened a few months later? What about one month later? A couple of weeks? One week? At what point is the line in the sand drawn after which point it is "acceptable" for someone else to get something for a few dollars less than you spent? You must realize that being upset about a sale simply because it happened soon after release is totally arbitrary if you aren't against sales 100% of the time.

I think it's something to do with time is money. Gamers aren't likely to pay 7 or 10 extra bucksfor a day early release. For a few months earlier access? Then it's worth it. 10 bucks is eating for a day. I think people would prefer to have their game and eat too given the option :lol:

I would've gladly paid $49.95 for the game. Despite my objections in them dumbing down the game (again), I support the development of in-depth strategy games for the PC, which is becoming more of a niche.

As on of the American pre-orderer I probably can't make the argument I was wronged. The European preorderers have been robbed though.

Brave new worlds plays like a whole new game so paying 26 euro`s was worth it i guess. But steam will not get any money out of me this summer for this backstab. You broke the friend treaty you bastard!!

Whoa, did the discount just go away all of a sudden? I saw this topic, opened Steam to check, saw the discount, alerted a friend who hadn't bought it yet, and then he said there was no discount. The page was saying that there would be more 15 hours of discount, but then I hit F5 and it was gone.

Or was it 15 minutes? :(

Discount just ended, I'm afraid. But, there could be another. We're only on the second day, after all. :)

If I happen to catch it, I will be sure to alert everyone if no one has already.

im not sure if anyone remembers but the discount never got greater than 10% (iirc) when GnK was released in the summer and the summer sale started shortly thereafter. seeing this is pretty shocking to me. i figured theyd never do anything beyond the 10% (both on pre-orders or summer sale) until at least holiday sale.

i got mine at greenmangaming. it was 10% off but then i get a prompt for either $6 in credit for future purchases or a $4 refund in cash. so i got mine for ~$22. i dont know if that is for being a first purchase there or just what they do but it helped me get beyond the 10%.

im less angry about this only because i got vanilla and dlcs for generally 75% off. ive gotten more than my moneys worth out of this game at 1600 hours and counting.

When does Steam (or do they ever) have a huge sell on everything from a franchise?
i.e. All of Civ 5 expansions and dlcs and maps. (in one package?)

I know they had everything but G&K just after G&K came out. I think they had one including everything last year. It's hard to remember. Flash sales are over so quick that I usually don't even know when half of them occur.

BTW, does anyone else think pre-orders encourage bad behavior on part of the publishers/retailers?

They also provide funding when money is tight so as to ensure that the QA team is fully staffed to catch as many bugs before release as possible. Without the money, the incentive is to release the game three weeks earlier and fix the bugs after people have bought it and started playing it.

im not sure if anyone remembers but the discount never got greater than 10% (iirc) when GnK was released in the summer and the summer sale started shortly thereafter. seeing this is pretty shocking to me. i figured theyd never do anything beyond the 10% (both on pre-orders or summer sale) until at least holiday sale.

i got mine at greenmangaming. it was 10% off but then i get a prompt for either $6 in credit for future purchases or a $4 refund in cash. so i got mine for ~$22. i dont know if that is for being a first purchase there or just what they do but it helped me get beyond the 10%.

im less angry about this only because i got vanilla and dlcs for generally 75% off. ive gotten more than my moneys worth out of this game at 1600 hours and counting.

I've paid almost $150 and I have no regrets ;)

Buttom line is that I paid € 30 vs $ 20 (€ 15.3) in order to get that expansion. Twice the price basically. NOT cool!

If I had been able to buy it in Europe from the 9th in order to get that promotion, I would have done it. Not fair I think.

Top Bottom