-33% BNW on Steam Flash Sale

If that pub down the road would charge more for a pint to a regular customer than a random person who just walked in for no good reason, you'd feel cheated too.

I like saving the 10 Euros, but I have purchased Civ V vanilla, GnK, Civ GOTY, Civ IV plus all expansions and any DLC that was missing.

Still, given the amount of time I've spent playing Civ (almost 700 hours now) this is all a huge steal.

A game of pool costs about $1 and lasts 15 minutes.

Not their finest move...
...if anything that shows one thing:
NEVER EVER PREODRDER!
:/

...now I wonder what the folks from Polycast think about that. :p

You were willing to pay that amount so it's your fault. You knew there was a Steam Sale around the corner but you were too excited to play early.

Let's be honest. The sale wasn't meant for most people on this website. Most of us bought this day one and were glad to pay the amount. This sale is for people who weren't die hard fans, or those who don't play Civ. The sale brings exposure and potentially more die hards for the future.

If some people are so upset over 7 bucks, maybe they shouldn't buy video games on release in the first place. It's never a smart move financially.

You're not getting it. I was willing to pay that amount early because it was a cost reduction. We're talking about principle here, I dont like paying extra money, thats a good part of why I am well off.

If we look at it literally, taking a slap in the face means to you saying "oh I got a slap in the face but I'm still ok", then lining up for another; if this is your way then we differ fundamentally. I learn and change my actions, by fighting back or removing the chance for a repeat. Which means no more pre-orders if steam doesnt make good.

I agree with those who felt this was a really move. I bought the pre-order because I wanted to support 2K and say I was confident they made a great product, but when the game goes on discount the day it was released, I feel that the message I get back is: "F*** you, thank you for your cash, sucker."

I was happy to pay those 27 € for the expansion, but when you do stuff like pre-order and give a 10 % discount on those, there is a - unwritten, but still pretty explicit - code of conduct which says that they give me a discount because I give them my money in advance which is good for them, because it means fast earnings for them. And part of that agreement is that you DON'T reduce items in price before a certain time has passed in order to reward those who actually bought it up-front. So yeah, I do feel there is reason to be angry with this, for the sake of the principle and the message it sends more than for the money lost.

I agree with those who felt this was a really move. I bought the pre-order because I wanted to support 2K and say I was confident they made a great product, but when the game goes on discount the day it was released, I feel that the message I get back is: "F*** you, thank you for your cash, sucker.".
To be honest, if your real, primary motivation was supporting the company, you wouldn't have minded paying more than others, because paying more means greater support. Same goes for everyone who claims they preordered to "help" Firaxis/2K. If you're arguing now, it's because the truth is you just wanted the game as cheap as possible.

Personally, I was lucky to get it while it was 33% off, and never saw a point in pre-ordering given a) there wasn't any semi-exclusive preorder content, and b) there could be bugs on release. My original plan was just waiting for later, better than -10% sale, or maybe shelling out the full price if the expansion was really good.

Well Steam is horrible, and we already know that 2K doesn't care about their fans. They're nearly as bad as 343 at this point.

Anyway, this is why you never, ever pre-order games on Steam.

To be honest, if your real, primary motivation was supporting the company, you wouldn't have minded paying more than others, because paying more means greater support.
That's not true. Just because you like being nice doesn't mean you like being taken advantage of. I like giving support to others, but I also like when they give me a nice "thank you" in return. If all I get back is what looks like a flipped middle finger, I'm not just going to smile and applaud.

That's not true. Just because you like being nice doesn't mean you like being taken advantage of. I like giving support to others, but I also like when they give me a nice "thank you" in return. If all I get back is what looks like a flipped middle finger, I'm not just going to smile and applaud.

I can see this degenerating into a conversation about Nice Guys and the friendzone in the next ten posts...

They didn't take advantage of you. And nobody said anything about smiling and applauding, but you agreed to pay a certain figure, and if your main aim was to support Firaxis/2K, you wouldn't mind other people getting it cheaper than you did. It'd be irrelevant to your contribution: you gave more support to the company than any of us -33% buyers.

Supporting a company is good, but they should reward their loyal supporters.

It would just be more honest if you knew or suspected they would reduce the price on day 1 so the people who really wanted to pay more just to support the company could pay earlier.

The way it is happened now, they have got extra money from the people who just wanted to pay more just because they wanted to support the company, but also the people who wanted to play from day 1 and believed that the 10% off pre-order on steam would be cheaper than waiting for release.

The pre-purchasers trusted the company to make a good expansion. They bought the game before there were reviews; they gave their money early to help the company. They should get something for that, even if it's just the game being 10% cheaper than it will be for the first month.

Putting it up for a 33% sale on day of international release is just excremental though. It goes against everything we have been "taught" about steam sales and it spits in the face of their most loyal supporters, even if those supporters are still happy to pay more and don't complain.

Take from this what you will, but I had gone off Civ 5 recently. I stopped playing and stopped following BNW updates and wasn't going to purchase the expansion. This sale convinced me to play again. It helped rope me back in and I'm sure there will be more like me.

I feel sorry for those die hard fans who missed out but this sale did work out for me and ultimately that helps Firaxis reign in more support, so I can see what they were trying to do. Whether that outweighs the potential support they lose remains to be seen, I guess.

I will be very carefull with preorders from firaxis/2k from now on. This was distastfull.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown $10 on Steam

Can somebody tell me how similar to Civilization it is? (Or just the type of game in general?)

The whole sci-fi shooting business is not something I really care for however it is a turn based strategy and from Firaxis, which are two pluses in my book

Reviews are solid, but I want some tips from fellow CivFanatics - quick before the sale runs out!

XCOM: Enemy Unknown $10 on Steam

Can somebody tell me how similar to Civilization it is? (Or just the type of game in general?)

Completely different Genre to Civ. It's turn based Tactics + a bit of strategy, while Civ V is turn based strategy + a bit of tactics.
But still a very fun game and for 10$ you cant really go wrong ..

It's a good strategy game, but it's not a 4X builder strategy game. It requires careful thought and planning on each turn and it is turn-based. But they certainly are very different. Worth it for 10 bucks, though.

This is borderline-illegal, this is the first time I have actually gotten angry at firaxis and 2k, won't pre-order from them again, that's for sure.

Steam doesn't set the prices.

Again, I'm also certain that steam, as the distributor are the ones setting the prices here, and this flash sale is a steam sale, not a Firaxis or 2k sale. Complaining about this would be like complaining that your local game shop had a sale hours after release.

Looks like it was a accident after all. Giving a away a free copy of CIV4 to say sorry

Wont help most of us since we likely already own that. Guess it will make a nice gift

Looks like it was a accident after all. Giving a away a free copy of CIV4 to say sorry

Wont help most of us since we likely already own that. Guess it will make a nice gift

And my faith in steam is somewhat restored. I likely won't even play it, but at least i don't feel like i've been kicked in the groin any more.

Is it that they genuinely made a mistake, or are they just trying to make up publicity after a backlash?

Top Bottom