Codefreak5's Fire Emblem Civilizations

I'd probably go for Validar, although with Emmeryn, Gangrel probably makes more sense. Then again, this is the game where Tenochtitlan can get nuked by Gandhi in the VANILLA, so that's probably not a problem.
It's a coin flip, really. Validar's Plegia will fit the Dark Mage UU and potential Grima's Table UA, though Gangrel is memorable in his own right for being the main antagonist of the first third of the game.

Personally, I think it looks a lot better than the many other options I could've chosen for the lighting and shading. The light and shadow were gradients, and the lighting looked practically invisible without the bit of white at the front. I could make another one, but it'd require starting from scratch. Just let me know.
If it's going to be a lot of trouble, I wouldn't worry about it. I pay lots of attention to very fine details; I wouldn't expect many other people to be as specific as I am. Regardless, it's much nicer than what I had.

After a few art-scoutings (mainly going :run: at Tharja's official art (she looks... visually appealing!?!?!)) I came up with these two. A sandy-gold (straight from Henry's belt, plus Plegia is a desert nation) for the icon, and a dark purple (more like purplish-black, the shadowy section in most of the cloaks) for the background.

Here's how they look together:
Spoiler :

And these are the colours in RGB and 0-1 (Idk what it's called):
Icon
Red: 210 (circa 0.824)
Green: 202 (circa 0.792)
Blue: 155 (circa 0.608)

Background
Red: 75 (circa 0.294)
Green: 61 (circa 0.239)
Blue: 76 (circa 0.298)

EXTRA MATHS TIDBIT: That means that every 1 in RGB is about 0.003.
That's quite a fairly cool-looking test you have there. I think it will do nicely for a color scheme. Thanks for all your help.

Hello, everybody! Apologies for being silent for the past two weeks - there was a lot of outside-of-modding things that needed doing, and I didn't have time to work on mods.

Reception of Ylisse has been fairly good; as of now it's still on the third page in the "Most Popular This Week" section of the Steam Workshop, with nearly 2,000 unique visitors, 586 downloads, and 21 favorites. Minor bugs have popped up here and there, but have been fixed quickly.

As discussed earlier, I've decided to move on to Plegia. In the interest of flavor, I've decided to make Validar the leader. UU will be the Dark Mage, of course. A ranged unit replacement, probably Medieval/Renaissance era. Not sure on specifics yet; I'll get thinking about that.

I'm torn between choosing a second UU or the Dragon's Table/Grima's Table UB, which can take advantage of senshidenshi's UA idea: Every x-amount of :c5faith: Faith generates :c5food: Food in the Capital. Instead of generating food for the Capital, it'll do it for whichever city it's built in. I think it would do well as a Temple replacement.

The UA is still a problem. I'll start thinking about what could fit. Everyone's still free to pitch ideas.

I plan to get the title of this thread changed to something along the lines of "Fire Emblem: Awakening Civ Thread". This thread isn't just about Ylisse anymore, nor is it G&K only, nor is it very WIP.

That's all for this update. I hope to see Plegia start moving along soon!

Glad to see you're back. I'm having a bit of trouble with the icon, mainly because of Plegia's way-too-detailed-for-32x32-or-even-64x64 logo. My plan here is to crop it so it only has the first two eyes, but I wanted to check with you first. Apart from that, the logo actually looks pretty good!

Glad to see you're back. I'm having a bit of trouble with the icon, mainly because of Plegia's way-too-detailed-for-32x32-or-even-64x64 logo. My plan here is to crop it so it only has the first two eyes, but I wanted to check with you first. Apart from that, the logo actually looks pretty good!

I think it would be best to have the full logo included, but since you say you're having trouble with it, a cropped-down version might still work. I'll have to see a comparison to really make a good decision.

Ylisse Stuff:
  • Having done my first actual playthrough of Ylisse since its Workshop debut, one thing that stands out is how powerful Renewal actually is. The influence just never stops rising, and gets really, really high later in the game. I'm thinking that the bonus influence-per-turn can stop accumulating at a certain point (say, 90?), or at least slow down more once a City-State hits Ally status.
  • The Pegasus Knight's unit flag doesn't show up anymore. I'll work on fixing that.
  • People have mentioned that CTDs happen when the game enters the Renaissance Era, regardless of whether Ylisse was in the game or not. The problem happened once before and was resolved, so I believe it may be a mod compatibility issue.

I think it would be best to have the full logo included, but since you say you're having trouble with it, a cropped-down version might still work. I'll have to see a comparison to really make a good decision.
Well, here you go...
Full Size:
Spoiler :

It actually looks pretty good (read: recognizable) up to 6%, which is around 36x36, so it should be fine. Although it would be more distinguishable as just the two eyes, it wouldn't be as recognizable as Plegia and, quite frankly, I can't be bothered to crop it.

Ylisse Stuff:
  • Having done my first actual playthrough of Ylisse since its Workshop debut, one thing that stands out is how powerful Renewal actually is. The influence just never stops rising, and gets really, really high later in the game. I'm thinking that the bonus influence-per-turn can stop accumulating at a certain point (say, 90?), or at least slow down more once a City-State hits Ally status.
  • The Pegasus Knight's unit flag doesn't show up anymore. I'll work on fixing that.
  • People have mentioned that CTDs happen when the game enters the Renaissance Era, regardless of whether Ylisse was in the game or not. The problem happened once before and was resolved, so I believe it may be a mod compatibility issue.

A slight addition:
  • Renewal pretty much pwns the AI. I was bordered by Alexander and Bismarck and had numerous Prophets supressing their religions. They got really pissed off and wouldn't trade with me, but not once did they declare war on me. Keep in mind that Alex has attempted to conquer me as Korea when we were on opposite sides of the map, so it must be doing something. I guess the AI reeeeeeally care about city state relations...

Well, here you go...
Full Size:
Spoiler :

It actually looks pretty good (read: recognizable) up to 6%, which is around 36x36, so it should be fine. Although it would be more distinguishable as just the two eyes, it wouldn't be as recognizable as Plegia and, quite frankly, I can't be bothered to crop it.
That does actually look very good. Nice work.

A slight addition:
  • Renewal pretty much pwns the AI. I was bordered by Alexander and Bismarck and had numerous Prophets supressing their religions. They got really pissed off and wouldn't trade with me, but not once did they declare war on me. Keep in mind that Alex has attempted to conquer me as Korea when we were on opposite sides of the map, so it must be doing something. I guess the AI reeeeeeally care about city state relations...
I guess they do. I wonder if all this makes the trait OP. People haven't complained yet, but, still, gotta keep balance in mind.
The first part completely removes the relationship maintenance aspect of City-State diplomacy itself; take into account that you can eventually have several hundred points of influence with any given CS (especially the ones you met early), and any Civ that declares war on you will permanently be at war with every City-State ally you have.
The only ways a Civ can compete with you will be through science and culture, since they won't risk perpetual, ongoing conflict with City-States (except Mongolia; it's their job), and you can get every City-State you meet as a permanent ally without doing much of anything.
So, from that perspective, I guess it is a little OP. I'll see if I can learn LUA enough to nerf it, or get someone else to.

Hello again, everyone. It's been a month since I last posted anything on here. The responsibilities of being a college student and the allure of video games have kept me from keeping up on this project. So, I'm sorry about all of that, and want you to know that Plegia is still going to happen - it's just going to take a while.
Speaking of working on Plegia, I have been doing a bit of it! The XML files for the Dark Mage UU and the Dragon's Table UB have been completed, along with an icon for Validar. The rest of the art, the music, and Lua coding for additional Dragon's Table benefits and the trait haven't been completed yet.

Here's Validar's icon, which is the only other piece of art besides senshidenshi's Plegia icon:

I'll post more updates on the mod as they become available.

During the thread's down-time, I also managed to cobble together a small Nagaism religion, which will become available for download shortly. The icon looks a bit rough around the edges (literally), and the Civilopedia description text was put together in about fifteen minutes, so if anyone would like to do their part in raising the quality of it, it would be much appreciated. (You'll get your name placed above mine in all the official descriptions, too.)
It's located in the Steam Workshop here.

And finally, I managed to make a limiter for Renewal - once Influence with a City-State hits around 90, the bonus influence per turn stops being generated. This effectively keeps your influence at 90, which allows you to keep your Ally status until another Civ manages to raise their influence higher than that. If you gain additional influence with that City-State (through gifting gold or completing quests), it will degrade normally until it reaches 90.

So, that's it, then. I'm still working on this, and I intend to keep doing so. I also promise to have the thread's name changed, for real this time. I hope people will take interest in this again. More stuff will come fairly soon - I promise!

Well, here's my attempt at a dark mage icon.
Spoiler :

Thanks again, senshidenshi.

Since I haven't gone into detail about the things I have added so far, I'll show off a few things below.

Dark Mage: Plegia's UU, obviously. It replaces the Crossbowman, and is unlocked at Theology instead of Machinery. It has a melee combat value of 8 (read: melee defense) and a ranged combat value of 20. These values are likely to be changed and fine-tuned in the future for balance in combat. They'll use the Missionary model, until I find/have someone make a more accurate model. They also have some unique names.

Dragon's Table/Grima's Table: The UB. It replaces the Temple. It generates 3 Faith, instead of 2 (Upgraded Shrine of Naga, anyone?). It will also use senshidenshi's Grima's Table UA idea:
Every x-amount of :c5faith: Faith generates :c5food: Food in the Capital.
"x" will be replaced by an explicit value, most likely increasing as the game goes on. It will use Lua; I'll track down a Civ 5 Lua guide, but more-experienced Lua coders are welcome to do it themselves.

And I still haven't made any choices on a UA just yet. A faith-based and/or war-based trait will fit into Validar's leadership style nicely.

That's all for now.

News, everyone!

Now that my current college semester is over, I can finally get Plegia actually moving again! For real this time. Instead of the uncommon update every couple of weeks I've been treating you to in my spare time. Life has a nasty habit of interfering with everything.

Also, Ylisse has broken 1,000 subscribers in the Steam Workshop! Thanks to anyone here who went and downloaded it there!

Unfortunately for Ylisse, while making a minor bugfix that stopped the Pegasus Knight's unit flag icon from not appearing, a completely different, mod-breaking error showed up out of what seems like nowhere.

Database log excerpts:
Spoiler :
[22233.184] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[22233.184] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with values (TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CITYONE, Ylisstol, ).
[22233.184] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file Ylisse.xml.
[22233.184] columns Language, Tag are not unique

Spoiler :
[22237.162] Invalid Reference on Civilization_Religions.CivilizationType - "CIVILIZATION_YLISSE" does not exist in Civilizations
[22237.271] Invalid Reference on Civilization_SpyNames.CivilizationType - "CIVILIZATION_YLISSE" does not exist in Civilizations
[22237.271] Invalid Reference on Civilization_SpyNames.CivilizationType - "CIVILIZATION_YLISSE" does not exist in Civilizations

To the best of my (admittedly rusty) ability, I haven't found anything that would cause that specific section to break. All tags are spelled and placed properly, and I certainly didn't edit any of the cities between the last, stable update and today.

What this means is the minor bug fix I planned to implement can't happen until this major one is fixed.

For those willing to look through my code, the mod is available in the Downloads area, and on the Steam Workshop. Your assistance is both appreciated and invaluable.

That is very strange! I have the latest workshop version of the mod and started a game up in the Renaissance era last night to check for you, and I didn't get any errors regarding spies or city names. Or, errors at all really!

Do you remember which xml files you've updated recently? Maybe somewhere you missed something and it broke the whole file. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the public version(s?), though, for what it's worth. Could just be the version you tweaked/didn't upload yet!

(also yes, hello, I live, excited for this Plegia business!)

That is very strange! I have the latest workshop version of the mod and started a game up in the Renaissance era last night to check for you, and I didn't get any errors regarding spies or city names. Or, errors at all really!

Do you remember which xml files you've updated recently? Maybe somewhere you missed something and it broke the whole file. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the public version(s?), though, for what it's worth. Could just be the version you tweaked/didn't upload yet!

(also yes, hello, I live, excited for this Plegia business!)

I did a bit of experimenting, and it turns out that the in-progress version of Plegia was conflicting with Ylisse, due to them sharing the same text keys for cities. Adding a "PLEGIA" or an "YLISSE" to the city text keys of the respective civs fixed the problem.
That also means there will be a very minor update, where the Pegasus Knight unit icon will no longer be just a blank circle, and will instead be something that's supposed to look like a wing. Emphasis on "supposed to".

Hello once again, everyone! I know, my updates have been few and far between, mostly consisting of "I'm gonna make something soon guys, I promise", but this time, I actually have some work to show for it.

Since it's pretty early in the morning, I'm not feeling especially great, and I have to go to class in a couple hours, I'll hold off on creating a super-cool post describing all the things about Plegia and everything still left to do on it until I'm more focused and unable to procrastinate, so for now, have a list of things that have been finished over the past three weeks since I last posted here.

• Icons
  • G&K/BNW XML files
  • Lua file for the Dragon's Table - provides 1 food for every 50 faith every 10 turns (subject to tweaking)
  • Lua file for a trait - +20% Faith during Golden Ages (Subject to tweaking and expansion - I want to add another effect, a little more focused on Domination)
  • Flag icon for the Dark Mage - based on the lightning bolt present on the Flux tome in Awakening (look up a picture and squint very hard - it's there)

Downloads are present in this post. It's using Ylisse's music for now, until I pick some fitting Plegia-related music from the game, so you might just want to copy the music over from Ylisse instead of downloading it (if you already have Ylisse, that is).

The Lua scripts were the first ones I ever made, being a result of me practically jumping head-first into the language with Ylisse's trait and ten simultaneous tabs of the Civ V "Modiki" to look off of, all in the course of half a week. They work, I made sure of it, but they might not be as efficient as they could be, so having someone to look at them and give opinions and constructive criticism would be very helpful.

With all that said, I hope to really pick up the pace on Plegia, and really, definitely, have a working, public-ready version out by the end of June, at the very latest.

I am sorry this update took so long - I had a legitimate excuse a month ago, being the end of a school quarter with a few projects to finish, but the past couple weeks were empty, and I just procrastinated. That's not good. I'll curb that more in the future, so waits will have less to do with me playing video games and more with actual excuses, like having two separate coding projects in two separate classes using two separate languages due before next Tuesday.

That's all for now! See you all soon!

EDIT: 7/28 - Outdated files removed

Theocracy of Plegia

Leader:
Validar

Unique Ability / Trait:
Grima's Truth​
Plegia gains an additional 20% :c5faith: Faith per Turn during a :c5goldenage:
Golden Age.

Unique Unit:
Dark Mage

Replaces the Crossbowman. Unlocks at Theology. 8 :c5strength: Melee Combat Strength, 20 :c5strength: Ranged Strength.
Heals some health when killing an enemy.

Unique Building:
Dragon's Table

Vanilla: No effects (currently)
G&K/BNW: +4 :c5faith: Faith. Adds 1 :c5food: Food per 50 :c5faith: Faith to the city it's in every 10 turns, if possible.​

Things to do:
  • City Names
  • Spy Names
  • Music
  • Trait Name
  • Vanilla Dragon's Table Yields
    [*]Dark Mage Unit Model
    [*]Civilopedia Entries
    [*]Diplomacy Dialogue
    [*]Vanilla Trait
  • Updated Trait Tweaking/Testing
  • Vanilla Dragon's Table Effects - Food per X Culture?

Okay, so this thread's gone down the tubes. Serves me right for putting this off so long.
If anyone here still remembers this exists, and still wants Plegia to happen, please come back and take a look at what I have so far, otherwise it can't happen.

I've renamed the UA in my game to "Grima's Truth", but there's probably a better name for it.

Spy List:
  • Mustafa
  • Vasto
  • Chalard
  • Campari
  • Algol
  • Orton
  • Garrick
  • Aversa
  • Tharja (IS a Plegian, therefore probably a Plegian name)
  • Henry (See Tharja)

I guess we can just use locations from the game for the city list.

(Also, maybe the Dark Mage can get Faith from kills, like the Pictish Warrior.)

I've renamed the UA in my game to "Grima's Truth", but there's probably a better name for it.
Perhaps, but it sounds good for now.

Spy List:
  • Mustafa
  • Vasto
  • Chalard
  • Campari
  • Algol
  • Orton
  • Garrick
  • Aversa
  • Tharja (IS a Plegian, therefore probably a Plegian name)
  • Henry (See Tharja)
Of course, using the named boss Plegians as spies would work. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier... or if I did and discarded it for some unknown reason.
Also, note that Tharja and Henry will be pulling double duty as both spies and Dark Mages; look at the code, or at a Dark Mage unit in-game, and you'll see it's named either "Tharja" or "Henry".

I guess we can just use locations from the game for the city list.
I was thinking of that, but it seems kind of odd to have a city named "Carrion Isle" when it's not on an island (ignoring the fact that Ylisse's Southtown tends to be created anywhere but south of Ylisstol). Also, names like "Mercenary Fortress" or "Border Sands" seem downright strange as city names. But, whatever works, works.

(Also, maybe the Dark Mage can get Faith from kills, like the Pictish Warrior.)
It could. That would keep it from just being a more powerful ranged unit replacement, and add some flavor; I really don't like ripping off pre-existing buffs and effects, though. I like unique abilities more.

I've added more things to Plegia.
First, I added city names, using the map place names of the places found in Plegia. "Law's End" actually sounds like a cool city name, in my opinion.
I also added unique music, a DOM screen, and a diplomacy screen. The diplomacy screen doesn't look very good yet, and I would much appreciate it if a more experienced graphic artist were to take a crack at it.
Finally, I added the spy names suggested by senshidenshi.

As of now, there is no special trait present for the Vanilla version. Making a Vanilla version separate, for simplicity.

You might notice the file is a good 4 MB smaller than Ylisse. That's because the music I used in here is shorter than the music used in Ylisse.

I just want to remind anyone who visits that you're more than welcome to give me your suggestions, or even offer to help with something. I'll be the first to say that I can't make this mod on my own, and it will turn out much, much better if others pitch in.

EDIT 7/28: Outdated file removed

Oh, as a Fire Emblem fan, I find this mod really really interesting. I see you're focusing a lot of Awakening, which would make sense as it is the first game to really hit the mainstream. However, I'd love to see this mod to branch out and cover some nations from previous games. I have an idea specifically for Altea, which would be primarily be a war-themed civ (As a sort of in-joke that Marth's games were a lot more simple mechanically and plotwise compared to the more recent games)

Name: Kingdom of Altea (Duh)
Leader: Marth (Who else would lead Altea but the unofficial mascot of the entire series?)
UA: Together We Ride (All City States will occasionally gift tech-appropriate units, along with their normal benefits; lose no influence with any city state that is at war with a civ you are at war with)
UU1: Cavalier (Replaces Pikemen*. +1 movement, is a mounted unit (which does require any resources). 50% against melee units (Perhaps reduce its bonus against mounted as a trade-off))
UU2: Lord** (Replaces Great General. Combat bonus radius is increased to 3 titles, and all friendly units fighting within said radius gain double EXP.)

*Ylisse already has a Knight UU, plus it's another subtle joke. Soldiers, the closest unit for Pikemen, are an enemy only class in Marth's games (and most games in general). Plus, there are (unmounted) Knights within Marth's army. Since Cavaliers use spears anyways, I thought it would be a nice nod if they replaced Pikemen instead of Knights.
**While the Lord in itself isn't specific to Altea specifically, it does have a tradition of blue-haired swordsmen leading armies into battle (Arni, Marcelus, Marius, Cornelius, Marth, and technically Chrom and Lucina despite being Ylissian).

Oh, as a Fire Emblem fan, I find this mod really really interesting. I see you're focusing a lot of Awakening, which would make sense as it is the first game to really hit the mainstream. However, I'd love to see this mod to branch out and cover some nations from previous games. I have an idea specifically for Altea, which would be primarily be a war-themed civ (As a sort of in-joke that Marth's games were a lot more simple mechanically and plotwise compared to the more recent games)

Name: Kingdom of Altea (Duh)
Leader: Marth (Who else would lead Altea but the unofficial mascot of the entire series?)
UA: Together We Ride (All City States will occasionally gift tech-appropriate units, along with their normal benefits; lose no influence with any city state that is at war with a civ you are at war with)
UU1: Cavalier (Replaces Pikemen*. +1 movement, is a mounted unit (which does require any resources). 50% against melee units (Perhaps reduce its bonus against mounted as a trade-off))
UU2: Lord** (Replaces Great General. Combat bonus radius is increased to 3 titles, and all friendly units fighting within said radius gain double EXP.)

*Ylisse already has a Knight UU, plus it's another subtle joke. Soldiers, the closest unit for Pikemen, are an enemy only class in Marth's games (and most games in general). Plus, there are (unmounted) Knights within Marth's army. Since Cavaliers use spears anyways, I thought it would be a nice nod if they replaced Pikemen instead of Knights.
**While the Lord in itself isn't specific to Altea specifically, it does have a tradition of blue-haired swordsmen leading armies into battle (Arni, Marcelus, Marius, Cornelius, Marth, and technically Chrom and Lucina despite being Ylissian).

I was planning to expand to other Fire Emblem games after I had finished with Awakening. Ferox'll definitely be up next, but after that, I figured I'd do Altea and some others from Akaneia/Archanea. And then, more, from Elibe and Magvel, and also some alternate leader versions of Awakening civs (Chrom's Ylisse, Gangrel's Plegia).

Anyway, I like your Altea idea! And thanks for showing me how you thought of the unique units. I was also thinking of the Lord unit as a UU, but not the Cavaliers, and certainly not replacing Pikemen. I don't have qualms about replacing the Knight UU again; there might be something I'm not taking into account here. But, mounted Pikemen replacements. It could work. I agree with reduced bonus damage against mounted units trade-off you're suggesting, and it could have a space less of movement as well.
A Lord Great General replacement. It would solve the problem of "which units should Lords replace", places them in their proper position of battlefield leadership, and makes them rightfully powerful without letting too many of them be in play at once (as per producing or buying military units). I like it.

Thanks for the idea! I can get started on that pretty soon, I think, but like I said, I'm going to finish Ferox first.

Top Bottom