How do I end this war

thatcivguy

Chieftain
Okay, so I'm playing Brave New World, and I'm basically stuck in a pointless war with France, China, Russia, and the Aztecs. I say it's pointless because it's now a little over a decade long, and, basically, France isn't strong enough to take my cities and is basically not even attacking at this point, the Aztecs are in retreat, and Russia and China's armies are too far to actually reach me and launch a successful invasion. Even if the goal was to weaken me that failed as well, because I'm actually stronger now, the only problem being, none of them are willing to sign a peace treaty. So, how do I end this war? If it helps, I'm playing as Japan, and am in the late Industrial Age, all of the other civs I'm fighting are either late renaissance or early industrial as well. Advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Obviously you've created some strong hatred from actions prior to their DoW on you, so it may be a little tougher than usual, but from my experience, the easiest way to get a peace treaty is to take a city, or at least almost take a city. The turn before they believe they city is going to lose, they are very open to treaties.

If the Aztecs are "in retreat" you need to run them down, kill as many units as you can find, and siege their capital (or a very significant secondary city). Shouldn't be necessary to take a city, if you don't want -- a peace offer should be forthcoming, and if you don't take any cities by force, no warmonger penalty. No warmonger penalty for taking cities in a peace deal, but beware that there is a city-center-tile-yield bug that appears to apply only when you accept cities in a peace deal on the AI's turn -- do the peace deal on your turn.

Why would you want to end a war just for the sake of not being at war? If you are not losing then there are advantages to being at war.

When I have been in situations similar to this, I let the non active war participants be at war for as long as they want unless I am in need of RAs.

When I have prolonged wars this route, civs will eventually get hit hard by another civ and I have been given massive gold, lux and yes, Polynesia even gave me a city without either of us losing units to each other.

In regards to your neighbors, once they retreat- follow them and set up a siege at one of their cities. When it is at 50% or lower ask for peace.

It seems that you made many enemies. You can restart and abandon your current game for a better opportunity. Lower the difficulty, take it easy. Ais can be nicer to you at lower difficulties.

Once you take every civilization's capital, you automatically win a domination victory.

Starting an counter invasion has a tendency to make AI behave nicer when they actually feel like they're being threatened now.

the only problem being, none of them are willing to sign a peace treaty. So, how do I end this war?

As in won't sign any at all, or do you really mean that the AI expects you to pay an arm and a leg to it for peace?

If the first case, DOW is a magically binding contract for a few turns and there is nothing you can do until that number of turns elapse. Also note that signing an ally greatly increases that number.

But if its just the second, then what it means is that its military adviser thinks it has more troops than you. This uses the same flawed calculation used by the demographic screen that underweights ranged units.
It barely cares about unit loses, you've probably already maxed out the bonus there.
But it also cares about economic loses (e.g. losing a city), so if you want him to sue for peace you have to take a city.

But if he's no threat to your territory and you don't feel like sending either a naval or army taskforce to take one of his cities, then you can just switch your cities back to basic buildings and ignore the war. You might not get good trade values for luxary trading post war anyway and in addition he can't denounce you until peace is made, and so in some cases you might as well keep the war going.

Top Bottom