i am not very good

My game from 2590->2190

Here's my 40th turn, in 2190BC. Lots happened but not as much as before. Here's a summary:

-I kept exploring with my 3 warriors, and found another 2 barb huts in the course of the 10 turns. They weren't very exciting: 2 warriors attacked me, the only benefit being an elite, and 25 gold from the next. (Who needs 25 gold?? I'd MUCH rather a tech!).

-I also built the new city of Susa in Optimal City Placement Style (OCP). 5 squares away from Persepolis in the NE, diagonally. This means that I don't need to share any squares of a city radii with another, prohibiting it from growing nice and prosperous! And playing with Persia will mean extra shields in metros!! Although I'm not sure whether we'll get that far, possible over a few months I guess.

That's about it! I'll look forward to see the QSC scores for this, and I have already learnt a couple of things from the other players here. :goodjob: !!

oh well! I played a bit over as well, and had to get an aoutosave, it was a turn late! Don't worry, just try and keep your eye on the date. I get carried away just as much!

Just to make sure everyone survived the holocost blackout of the Telefragged server braindamage, we should all be back alive and now playing to the next three time points:

2190bc (turn 40)
1790bc (turn 50)
1525bc (turn 60)

If you look back at the power progression graph that was posted about 5 posts back it will show you the relative strength positions of the different game approaches.

Look closely at this graph and determine if you have a chance of being one of the bottom two or three lines on the graph. If this is your case then I strongly recommend that you do not play beyond the 40,50,60 save points until we all get posted up to 1525bc and have the next discussion period.

If you are in one of the top power positions you may play forward to the turn 70,80,90, savepoints BUT DO NOT UPLOAD THESE until we get to the next discussion break. :whipped:

Handyandy, I'll pick you up in the power scoring chart by interpolation, but help us help you the most by trying to hit all three of these next time points (2190, 1790, and 1525). You are in a position to get some of the greatest benefit from this game and there are a number of good players providing you with some really solid examples that you can copy for future games.

Control, you still need to fix the problem with your savefile uploads and I think this is that you should stop using the "-" dash character in filenames for the web and use the "_" underscore character instead.

stwils - wo bist du?

Remember: Hit the timepoints or you create MEGA extra work for me and that will make me surly and cost you a box of white fudge covered oreos as tribute to get me back to polite or gracious again. ;)

Ooops....

*leaves box of white fudge covered oreos*

Sorry- I had to leave my computer right before I would have saved for the 2190 BC time point, and I didn't realize it until the last autosave available was 1950 BC. :blush: Hopefully the log will help in reconstruction, and once we start up again- I'm going to wait on the next save points for a while- I'll submit in 3 different posts as I go rather than this long chunk.

2550 BC Warriors start exploring N, after the existence of a W
ocean is confirmed.

2510 BC Warrior pops hut N of Persepolis; the Kassite tribe
teaches us Warrior Code!
Worker R forest W of the river.

2430 BC Science rate adjusted to 70% in order to avoid deficit.
Persepolis builds Settler and starts another. This
settler is sent just N of Persepolis, to found a city
nearby.
Warrior pops hut NE of capital and disturbs an angry
warrior.

****** Our warrior survives the ambush and becomes a vet.

2390 BC Pasagardae founded on coastal tile near W ivory, and
starts spearman.

2350 BC Worker starts road to ivory near Pasagardae from the
grass+ tile W of the river.
Warrior exploration through mountains reveals purple
boundaries to the NE.

2310 BC Susa founded; starts Worker first, then will build Spear.

2270 BC Warrior reveals city of Salamanca with a warrior
standing guard.

2230 BC Persepolis builds settler and starts another. This
settler is sent to the gold mtn in order to
reveal a possible spot for it, as no free-ranging barbs
have been spotted yet.
Warrior pops hut in jungle; Hittite tribe teaches us
Mysticism!
Contact made with Hiawatha of the Iroquois; he trades
us The Wheel + 1 gold for Alphabet. He has two other
cities and no contacts with anyone else to sell me as
yet.

Argh; I forgot to save for this turn- the closest
autosave was 1950 BC and that's submitted as the
closest substitute.

2070 BC Arbela founded; starts Spear. Warrior notices Horses in
Iroquois territory.

2030 BC Green borders spotted north of the Iroquois.

1990 BC Persepolis builds a Settler, and starts another, sending
the settler to the flood plain near the wheat and
incense.
Pasagardae builds a Spear, and starts another. This
spear is sent to join the settler.
Contact is made with Montezuma of the Aztecs. He has
one city and exactly 1 gold, and lacks Masonry,
Alphabet, and Mysticism.

1910 BC Worker finishes road to Ivory near Pasagardae, linking
up a luxury to the trade routes.

1830 BC Worker R forest S of Pasagardae. Worker R grass river
near Susa.
Warrior pops hut to NW and gets maps. They reveal
what appears to be another landmass, connected by
coast.
1790 BC Writing discovered; research begun on Literature.
Science rate upped to 90% as we now have 74 gold.

1750 BC Persepolis builds a settler and starts another. This
settler is sent NW.
Worker near Susa M.
Worker near Pasagardae sent to forest E of Persepolis
to link up with Arbela.

1700 BC Arbela builds spear and starts a settler. The spear
decides to take a risk and heads for the goody hut right
next to the city. If barbs appear too close to Antioch, I'll
build embassies with my gold if I can't trade it for
anything.
Antioch founded, starts worker.

1675 BC The Cuman tribe near Antioch teaches us Horseback
riding. :D
I buy Contact with the Zulu from Hiawatha for 50 gold.
He doesn't have Writing or Horseback Riding yet.
Adjustment of science rate down to 80% yields 2 gpt,
which allows me to trade with Shaka.
Contact with the Babylonians is had for Alphabet + 24
gold (all of it) + 1 gpt. He still lacks Writing, Mysticism,
and Horseback riding.
Hammurabi is contacted, and found to be extremely
backward: he lacks Alphabet, Pottery, Mysticism,
Horseback Riding, and communications with the Iroqouis
and Aztecs.

1650 BC Pasagardae builds a spear, and starts another- until I
get the time to either build a temple, or irrigate there, it
won't grow very much. Once is boundaries expand, it'll
be better, but for now it can keep building military to
help support Persepolis' settler boom. The spear is
sent to join the settler already out.
Worker near Susa R forest to connect city to network.

1625 BC Worker R forest W of Persepolis.

1600 BC Persepolis builds Settler; starts another. The spear in
Persepolis starts clearing out the fog to the south, as
the Ivory linked up will help pacify the population.
Settler sent to N of Susa.

1575 BC Aztec jag + settler pair spotted coming out of
Teotihuacan.
Tarsus founded to coast N of Pasagardae; starts worker.

********* Machiavelli reports on "The Happiest Nations of the
World:"
1. Persia
2. Egypt
3. Rome
4. English
5. Zulu
6. Aztecs
7. Iroquois
8. Babylon

1550 BC I sell Hammurabi Alphabet for 30 gold before someone
else does. This makes him Polite.
Shaka lacks Writing; Hiawatha trades me Iron Working
and 70 gold for Writing. Montezuma is still hopelessly
backward, and lacks anything to trade me for tech. No
one else that I have contact with has Horseback Riding
yet. Hiawatha is the only other one with Iron Working,
and the others now have nothing to trade him for it.
Science advisor: "We are technologically advanced!"
Iron appears in the mountains north of Susa and SE of
Pasagardae.
Blue borders are spied N of the Aztecs, who will have
Iron once Teoithuacan expands.
Worker I plains square near river NE of Susa.

1525 BC Susa builds a spear, which stays there, and starts a
settler.
Worker R grass+ river W of Arbela to connect it.
Warrior spots Babylonian city of Nineveh, with a warrior
in it and horses next to it.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/HA4_Borealis_bc1950BC.sav

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/HA5_Borealis_bc1790BC.sav

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/HA6_Borealis_bc1525BC.sav

Turns 31 to 40.

Preturn: reset slider to 100% research as a settler was just completed in Persepolis. Settler sent NE to the cow by the river to close the gap with Pasargadae.

1. 2550BC Pasargadae finishes worker, start on another. Worker goes to mine and road NW hill, this city needs shield for now, not food. Persepolis MM to grow in 1 turn and get a spear in 2 turns.
  2. 2510BC ...
  3. 2470BC Persepolis finishes spear, starts on settler.
  4. 2430BC Susa founded, starts on warrior for MP. NE scout sees a dark green border to the north.
  5. 2390BC Persepolis worker completes work on a BG, goes to improve another. The Cuman tribe teaches us Mysticism :jump:
  6. 2350BC NE scout finds the Aztec. I sell poor Montezuma pottery for his 10 golds. This is to help the relationship and I might as well get his gold before Hiawatha does.
  7. 2310BC Pasargadae finishes worker, starts another. Persepolis finishes settler, starts a 2nd spear for MP. Settler sent E to grab cow on river, another powerful spot.
  8. 2270BC ...
  9. 2230BC Susa finishes a warrior, starts on a worker.
  10. 2190BC Persepolis finishes 2nd spear, starts on a settler. Arbela founded, starts on a warrior/worker.
    [/LIST=1]

Turns 41 to 50.
    1. 2150BC Diplomacy checks, Hiawatha has Iron Working and I could buy it for Alphabet and the Wheel. Montezuma has nothing new. I will wait a little, hoping to get more contacts. Writing will be here in 3 turns and then I'll know who has contact with who. The Persepolis worker will now start a road network as the city is unlikely to go above size 6 for a little while.
    2. 2110BC ...
    3. 2070BC ...
    4. 2030BC Wow! Lots of things to do this turn.

a) Writing discovered, Research started at break even on Literature in 16 turns to gain access to our cheap libraries.

b) Hiawatha now wants 5 golds with the Wheel and Alphabet because he has contact with the Zulus. I buy the contact for 44 golds and 2 golds per turn. This will cost 6 turns of research on Literature but I believe early contact is a high priority.

c) Meet Shaka, he is polite, and he has IW but lacks masonry. I trade masonry and contact with the Aztec for his IW and 2 golds.

d) I go back to Hiawatha and sell him the Wheel to recover my 44 golds. So I end up buying IW for 38 golds by trading them tech they would trade between themselves anyway. I still have Alphabet and Mysticism that none of them have.

e) Switching the slider back to 80% research gives Literature in 18 turns at -1 gold per turn.

f) Susa finishes worker, starts on a barrack to start cranking out some real military. The worker is sent to improve the cattle.

g) Persepolis finishes settler, starts a spear. The settler goes W to grab the ivory which happens to have iron nearby. :)
    5. 1990BC Pasargadae finishes a worker, starts another, maybe it will become a settler instead.
    6. 1950BC A scout finds the Babylonian. Hammurabi is cautious so I give him pottery for his 10 golds, he is now polite. The Nubiam tribe teaches us Horseback Riding :jump:
    7. 1910BC ...
    8. 1870BC Antioch-by-the-Sea is founded and starts a temple right away. I will soon need those luxuries.
    9. 1830BC ...
    10. 1790BC Persepolis finishes a settler and starts on a spear. The settler is sent straight N to claim another iron.
      [/LIST=1]

Turns 51 to 60.

Preturn: Diplomacy checks reveals Babylon has a worker to sell. I establish an embassy with Babylon for 43 golds and buy the worker for 1gpt and 7 golds. You can never have too many workers. :)
      1. 1750BC ...
      2. 1725BC ...
      3. 1700BC Pasargadae finishes another worker, starts a temple as a prebuild to a library. Literature will be discovered in 8 turns.
        The barracks in Susa is pop-rushed and the city is now set on spear duty.
      4. 1675BC ...
      5. 1650BC The Parthian tribe teaches us Philosophy :jump: I have never been so lucky with huts. :)
        Arbela pop-rushed 20 shields into a settler and switch back to temple, shaving 10 turns off completion date.
      6. 1625BC ...
      7. 1600BC Persepolis finishes a settler, starts a spear. The previous settler was re directed further N to grab the dye, this settler will go claim the iron N.
      8. 1575BC ...
      9. 1550BC The Bactrian tribe teaches us Mathematics :jump: The RNG loves me :)
      10. 1525BC Tarsus founded, starts on a worker. Literature discovered, research set to code of laws in 12 turns at break even.
        [/list=1]

Pasargadae will rush a library soon to bring the incense online and so will Antioch-by-the-Sea. With 2 luxuries coming online soon, Arbela will not need a temple to stay happy but it still needs to expand to bring in the most productive tiles, so Arbela is switched to a library, due up in one turn.

The Persian empire at the end of 1525BC.

Here are the save games:
        2190 BC
        1790 BC
        1525 BC

Cracker, I left town early Thursday morning and just got home about 30 minutes ago.

I checked this thread and you all have moved quite fast.

Any suggestions as to how I might jump back in?

stwils:)

I changed my last post and uploaded a zipped file of all three saves.

Here's round 4 and 5. 6 to follow in the next couple of days.

Turns 31-40
30 2590-Sci 80/0 0gpt IW in 20
31-2550 Settler to forest on coast, workers continue to road to ivory. Wars N.
32-2510 Road done, mine started for future town. Wars N. Find jungle W and gems E. 80/10 for happiness. -1gpt IW in 14.
33-2470 Parsargedae founded, ord temple for broader city range, will whip as soon as possible. Wars N. still no contact.
34-2430 Spear blt, settler ord. Lux 90/0 ok with spear. W War E, E War N, see dyes W and lots of lakes by gems E. Plan is to found cities stretching toward gems since coast on W indicates civs to the E?
35-2390 Worker heads to Persepolis to start roading in the direction of the cow. W War E and E War N. 90/10 -1gpt, IW in 7.
36-2350 W War SE to mtn see hut, E War NE toward Mountain range, hopefully civs behind that. (Guess I could cheat and check other players saves?
37-2310 W War pops Warrior Code. E War E and at long last sees a border.
38-2270 Settler bld, warrior ordered. Setter sent to hill north of wheat by Incense, claim incense in 2nd radius and wheat helps growth, hill for protection.W War S to clear fog, E War NE to approach border. 100/0 , IW in 4 with -1gpt.
39-2230 E War E. Mine done srt rd. E War E into border.
40-2190 Aztecsmet. Warrior blt, Settler ordred. new Warrior sent E and sees more fertile ground plus cow. Settler retask to this area 1 NW of Cow, next to claim incense. W Warrior NE. E Warrior S out of Aztecs. Worker NE to continue rd toward E. Aztecs have 10g and nothing else. No trades.
SAVE GAME

Turns 41-50
41-2150 Rd done, Wrkr NE. x2. 2nd for more ivory. Settler E, S War E. W War N, E War E see hut + border 2. 80/10 IW in 1 0gpt.
42-2110 IW done strt Writing. Iron SE Parsargae inside borders! Settler S found next turn. S War E, W War N, E War E gets Horseback riding. To date, 4 huts, 4 techs no barbs!?!?! 90/10 -1 gpt Writ in15.
43-2070 E rd done, head E. Susa founded. Spear ordered for def. S War E see coast with land offshore. Contact Iroquois, they want, Alpha, IW, HBR. Az need Mason, Alpha, Pot, IW, Myst and HBR. Sell Mason to Az for 10g. Sell Alpha for 35 to Ir.
44-2030 Settler blt, Spear order. Settler sent to Hill by Incense. E worker starts road. W worker heads to BG that will be avail after temple. S War N. W War N, E War S, see more Ir border. Horses should be our next city to ensure a supply. Sci 100/0 -1gpt writ in 11.
45-1990 Zulu warrior appear S of E Worker. Trade Masonry for 10 gold. Worker starts mine, S war N, W War N, E War SW.
46-1950 rd done strt mine. S War N, E War, SW, W War N.
47-1910 Spear blt, settler ord. Spear Fortify so no more LUX on growth to 5. S War NE, E War SW, W War
48-1870 W worker to Iron, S War N, E War S, W War N.
49-1830 Rd iron, wrkr move to cow for irrigation. S War NE, E War S, W war N see blue border.
50-1790 Start irrigation. S War W to Hill, E War SE on Mtn. W War N. Contact Babylon, sell Alpha for 10 g. Trade summary: Iroquois are closest in tech, only needing IW and HBR, Babylon also needs Myst. Zulu need Alpha, Burial, IW and HBR. Aztec needs Alpha, Pot, IW, Myst and HBR. All are broke. 80/10 Writing in 5.
SAVE GAME

Zipped file with Round 4 and 5 saves

Here is an updated powergraph to include the save games that have been received so far for the years up to 1790bc.

(note for Borealis, the 2190 data is averaged between 2590 and 1790 to fill in for the file that was too many turns off line)

I will post images of the data tables for you to double check your game features as soon as we give stwils one last chance to gte games submitted since she has been out of town plus we had the serve glitch from hell.

A lot of exciting stuff is starting to show up in the files. ;)

The next open discussion period should be really exciting. Please plan ahead for the Tuesday to Wednesday time period so you can be prepared to ask questions and discuss issues that interest you. Remember again, that these discussion periods should try to look at things that already have happened to see if the events can put things in perspective as well as perhaps reveal any tips or tricks that may need to be highlighted.

continued good luck to all players,

ouch - I went from the lead in 2590 to 4th place in 1790 :(
Well, I thought I had a good game going here. Time will tell, but it looks like I need to figure out what cracker and Jaxom did to get the big jump!

Here are my upload files for:

cracker's 2190bc
cracker's 1790bc
cracker's 1525bc

and the following turns reports accompany the files.

Just a quick note, that I included more info in these turns reports than I would normally document. All the comments about specific micromanagement choices would be something I would do but would not right down every one of these decisions for 20 or 30 cities. That would be just too tedious. ;)

2550 to 2190 BC - turns 31-40
2550 BC (turn 31) – Granary in Persepolis. Warrior1 is in ugly mountains turns south and sees a hut. Warrior2 still heading north our west.
2510 BC (turn 32) – Warrior1 find gems in a central ugly place.
2470 BC (turn 33) – Warrior1 gets Alphabet from the hut near gems. Warrior2 sees yucky jungle ahead. Luxuries at 20% temporarily.
2430 BC (turn 34) – Workers are roading & mining all bonus grass plus roading & irrigating plains. Warrior1 backtracks to the east. Warrior2 heads to mountain in center to look for route through jungle and sees dyes and a hut behind us.
2390 BC (turn 35) – Warrior2 gets Iron Working from a hut south of mountain. Warrior1 can see a green border; F11 says this is the Aztecs. Micromanage shields/food in Pasagardae.
2350 BC (turn 36) – Settler out of Persepolis and heads west into forest toward coast.. Warrior3 is now available to garrison, set luxury to zero. Tune research to 30% for horseback riding in 1. Warrior2 climbs the dye mountain. Micromanage shields/food in Pasagardae.
2310 BC (turn 37) – Got horseback riding: Aim Research at Writing at 100%. Warrior2 north and sees dyes. Warrior1 heads north to mountain and we meet the Aztecs.
2270 BC (turn 38) – Worker out of Persepolis to hook up to Susa and ivory west. Found Susa on the west coast.
2230 BC (turn 39) – Warrior2 is in the jungle heading north. Bought an Iroquois worker for 30 gold and joined it to Persepolis. Up luxuries to 10% to balance.
2190 BC (turn 40) – Warrior2 sees a mountain in the jungle two steps northwest.

2150 to 1790 BC - turns 41-50
2150 BC (turn 41) –Warrior2 sees a hut north of mountain
2110 BC (turn 42) – doubled up workers between Susa and Persepolis. Warrior2 got Math from hut. Micromanage shields in Persepolis to get settler in 1.
2070 BC (turn 43) – Settler out of Persepolis heads east. Harvested forest between Susa and Persepolis. Connected road to Susa. Drop luxuries to 0%. Warrior2 is exploring straight west. Warrior1 is exploring straight north.
1990 BC (turn 45) – Settler explores on east mountain then aims for hill straight east.
1950 BC (turn 46) – Micromanaging Persepolis citizen assignment 1 in 3 turns. Warrior2 has been running west through Jungle and runs into a fish. Turns north out of the jungle. Warrior1 is still heading straight north east of Babylon.
1910 BC (turn 47) – Warrior2 sees a hill northwest.
1870 BC (turn 48) – Warrior1 sees gold hill coast and furs way northeast. Warrior2 sees a hut next to hill.
1830 BC (turn 49) – Settler out of Persepolis heads to central river cow. Founded Arbela on the east hill. Warrior2 pops 25 gold out of the hut. Warrior1 spies a hut on a mountain northeast. Up luxuries to 10% to keep Pasagaradae happy at pop4. Warrior3 in Persepolis heads to mountain between Arbela and Pasagardae to garrison. Micromanage food in Persepolis to gain 2 shields.
1790 BC (turn 50) –Discovered Writing aim for Literature next. Found a horse way off to the north of Babylon.
• Iroquois give Zulus and 17 gold in exchange for Babs
• Zulus give 19 gold in exchange for the Babs
• Babs give 10 gold in exchange for Pottery.
• Aztecs give 10 gold in exchange for the Babs
Everybody is gleeful. Warrior2 uses hill to the northwest to see the end of the earth.

1750 to 1525 BC - turns 51-60
1750 BC (turn 51) – Establish Embassies in Salamanca and Zimbabwe for 75 gold total. Popped a northeast hut and got 50 gold. Warrior3 heads back to Pasagardae to garrison (prior move was dumb and cost me 8 gold.)
1725 BC (turn 52) – Warrior1 heads straight east to snow mountain. Warrior3 now garrisons Pasagardae. Reduce luxuries to 0%. Founded Antioch near the central cow. Micromanage food/shields in Persepolis, and Susa.
1700 BC (turn 53) – Warrior1 sees the north coast. Warrior2 runs into the Iroq scout. Micromanage food/shields in Persepolis, and Susa. Luxuries up to 10%
1675 BC (turn 54) – Settler out of Persepolis heads for incense. Luxuries down to 0%.
1650 BC (turn 55) – Bringing warrior2 back into the center north of incense for picket duty.
1625 BC (turn 56) – Luxuries up to 10% to keep Pasagaradae happy
1600 BC (turn 57) – Warrior4 out of Antioch back to Pasagardae. Micromanage shields in Arbela.
1575 BC (turn 58) – Warrior5 out of Arbela explores east into forest by cow and sees more hills.
1550 BC (turn 59) – Micromanage Persepolis to gain 1 gold.
1525 BC (turn 60) – Settler out of Persepolis heads east. Sold ROP to Zulus for 25 gold. Turned luxuries down to 0%.

Hi Cracker,

I posted late yesterday saying I had been out of town for 4 days. I was hoping there was a way I could catch up.

But looking at the thread this morning, I think you all are too far along now for me to catch up.

I'll just read along with the thread. That in itself will be helpful.

Maybe I can participate next time you mentor another open game like this.

stwils:)

I may have to drop this one, myself. :(

Real Life time constraints are really eating into my Civ3 time. I'm having trouble keeping up with ct3 and SUL5b as it is. And those two games must get my priority right now.

I will *try* to do these 30 turns tonight.

That's funny, I've been considering dropping RL for more Civ time. Anyone got ideas on how to survive with no money and still keep the spouse and kids happy even though you're ignoring them?;) :lol:

Lee,

There are a couple of things about your game that are really worth noting to help put the graph in context.

First, you used the build sequence of warrior-warrior-granary and this gave you two quick explorers before dedicating shields to speed growth in your capital. If you look back at the posts of the early tables graphics for turn 3450, 2950, and 2590 you can see these choices being implemented.

Your first explorer path was sort of like mine but you went for the first hut and got pottery while I bypassed it. You set your research to get Burial through research and your second hut gave you Mysticism. Mysticism before 2950bc gave you an early power advantage even though it obviously did not match with the traits of Persia or your strategy.

The only thing that let you get Mysticism so early, besides a big fat dose of luck, was your choice to research Burial on your own. I find this sort of an interesting choice because of your build sequence of Warrior-Warrior-Granary-(then settler) because I see the primary use for Burial as enabling the path to Monarchy and giving us the ability to build temples in our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th towns for a quick happy face and ealy culture/border expansion.

This also may have indicated to me that you did not use the F11 key right after your first turn so that you could see the other civs in the game. F11 reveals at least 4 or 5 of the other civs in the game and helps me to make some early strategy, trade, and research decisions. Burial is one of the cheapest techs in the tree and you can usually trade for it very easily when you make contact with other civs.

On the other hand, many people do not recognize how the early tech choice works with exploration. The tech you designate for current research can never be acquired from a goody hut and is hard coded to be blocked as a free result. Chosing Burial as the blocked tech could be a great choice because you may in fact want the other stuff.

This process of choosing the tech you research because you know it will block that choice from the goody hut results can be very valuable.

Your choice to go for the early granary before a settler to build a second town is also one of those factors that has been debated somewhat. I think that in order for this to pay off you have to have at least one luxury resource very close by so your happiness balance will let you grow. Even in that case it may be best to push out the first settler and then go for the granary.

You got the early tech lead, but have been losing ground as other players have been growing more quickly plus getting equal to you in the random results from the goody huts.

When you look at Jaxom's early game, bear in mind that his game was the only game that got a free settler in the first two rounds and that is giving him an artifical early kick. Comparison of your two goody hut results (Lkendter:Mysticsim -vs- Jaxom:settler) shows that the instantaneous power difference between those two outcomes was 120 vs (70 to 90) but in the long run, the free settler would begin to yield per turn power dividends of and additional 3 to 5 power points per turn which would start to compound like interest in the bank.

Reason number 2345 for joining playalong games: invaluable tips. This thread is great!

I never thought to use F11 as a clue to the other civs. Even if I did, I forget which civs start with which techs and how I should research based on what they know. I usually just research what I really want to have next. Other than tech, does knowing your enemies influence other strategies? Like build up military versus farmer gambit, knowing warmonger is next door?

Regarding "guiding goody hut development" will goody huts continue to provide techs if you've gotten all the cheap ones already? Would it be worth it to protect a hut from exploration until a point when you know you'll get a second level tech? Or is it hardcoded to shutoff the tech possiblity and just give you gold or barbs?

Top Bottom