GOTM23 Succession Game [PTW]

Roster:
denyd
DaveShack (UP NOW)
TedJackson (Ondeck)
jimmydean

Looks like you guys are proceeding quickly and according to your plan for world domination.;)

Originally posted by jimmydean
Here is output from the crp ring tool:
I've just been reading this thread (looks interesting guys, keep up the detail :goodjob: ) and this image really stood out. Just a little warning. I noticed that CRpRings seemed to not be showing the Wool resource while playing this GOTM. Nobody else has reported this and I haven't got around to fixing it yet. So, just be aware that you'll need to look at the real Civ screen, not just the CRpRings image, when considering city settlement locations.

Dianthus@ does it have anything to do with the wool resource not having an icon in the luxury list on the city screen? I found that really annoying too. Nice Tool BTW.:goodjob:

Originally posted by ControlFreak
Dianthus@ does it have anything to do with the wool resource not having an icon in the luxury list on the city screen? I found that really annoying too. Nice Tool BTW.:goodjob:
No, the resource images are stored directly in the .exe. I just display the correct one based on the resource name. I ought to clarify, it does show Wool, but only when the resource filter is turned off. Hopefully no-one is "cheating" and turning it off though ;).

CF, I noticed in the other thread that you were intending to do QSC scores at the 1000 BC point. Are you interested in an app that extracts all of the QSC stats? I've been working on this recently, and I could package it up and send it to you. If you're interested just PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you!

A corrected link to the > save < :)

I think you just got the prompt & the URL mixed up denyd.

I haven't looked at the save yet but everything looks fine from the turnlog :thumbsup:

Ted

I hadn't noticed it not show wool, but there are so many new resource icons, it's not surprising that I missed it.

And I found out what the fow button did in my last game I played (first that I tried the crp tools), so I knew not to uncheck that and the resource button in this one :)

I’m a little more alive since my last post.

A little unexpected free time as our network is down and I can write this locally and post once it gets back. I’ve only got last night’s information to go from so I hoping the next turn haven’t been played or most of this post is irrelevant.

Now on to the game, here’s a picture of our current empire:

As I mentioned in my last post, we probably should trade our Indian contact for Mathematics + Horseback Riding + $$$. Another AI is bound to find them eventually; the chance would then be lost.

I switched from minimum to maximum science after getting Writing. It won’t do us much good to have a large treasury if we end up spending it to catch up to the AI’s later on. I’d like to propose getting The Republic ASAP, followed by a revolution to improve worker productivity and income.

How about some ideas for a city placement strategy for the next 6-8 cities and a military strategy?

My thoughts on military plans and city production: We should have all cities except Mecca & Medina assigned to build veteran warriors. Once we have 10 built, hook up the iron. Upgrade them to swordsmen. Unhook the iron and keep building veteran warriors. Use them to acquire the nearby Ottoman cities to put a crimp in their growth. Then send those swordsmen, plus any new ones, to assimilate Persia and India. Mecca & Medina should continue to produce settlers & workers.

Scout1 should probably be going S to the dark territory. Scout2 should keep going past Ottoman looking for Rome. Scout4 should probably head E to check out southern India.

I had planned on using the settler/Warrior6 combo to claim the spices S of Medina and use Medina’s workers to connect it. The new settler and Warrior2 should probably meet somewhere NE of this Diriyah to add to our NE empire. Any new Settlers should probably go SE or NE to expand in those directions. Rather then extend to the SE horses; let’s take the Ottoman city to acquire them.

Here are some possible new city sites:

Red: For the current Settler/Warrior6 combo
Dark Blue: For the new Settler & Warrior2 combo
Southern Green: For Warrior7 and next settler
Pink – Western Green – Orange – Teal – Light Blue should probably be the order of settling

Well networks back up time to post this.

EDIT: Added after reading the newest posts.

Ted thanks for correcting the link.

I’m the “governor on” person. My other GOTM is pretty far along and whenever I take an AI city I want the governor on until the resistance is done and I guess that setting carried over from my last game. I also turned the animations on so I can watch the AI movement, and the added buttons (as I use some of them). I also turn on the map grid to make directions and counting tiles easier. I hope nobody minds these changes as I use them all the time.

denyd@ Republic does not speed worker movement. Just Democracy.

Also you have conflicting things in your strategy. If you want to do the perpetual swordsman upgrade, you can't be spending money on research. Swords are 40g per. You don't even have enough for 10 in your treasury right now. Researching at max will not let you build up cash.

Regarding preferences: Most of the preferences are completely optional. If you have things you cant stand it should be up to you to check the prefs before beginning play.

Governors however should not be used unless the team agrees. I wasn't sure if you were including this option as one of the changes that you "hope no one minds, you use them all the time".

While I don't want to get into the team strategy, I would like to mention this: Your UU is a horse based unit. Do you really want to commit to the swordsmen path that heavily? Maybe it would be a good strategy to do this to Acquire horses but not much after that. The upgrade program to Ansar is much more expensive than swords so you would need a lot of cash on hand if you go that route.

Personally,

I'd rather see more cities on fresh water as that'll be of more immediate benefit rather than following RCP blindly.

That would also mean the Red site moving 1NE to be on fresh water and the Purple/Mauve 1E, 1SE.

Just my (usual) random thoughts :)

Ted

Actually (thanks to your pretty pics and Dianthus's CRPring tool) it looks like a 10 ring instead of 11 would include the Theveste and Uskadar (the horse town), let you move red NE. I suspect that would cramp the 8 ring if you filled the 8 ring like you should. But if you're going for maximum coverage with minimum number of towns (faster domination) you could found a minimum (maybe 4 per) in the 5 and 8 rings and then fill the 10 ring at city rank of 9.

Of course then you need a leader and some conqured land to rush the FP somewhere else. See why I hate RCP from the beginning?

Ted: I like both changes. I was thinking more about balanced city coverage, but the fresh water gain makes your choices better. The city placement tool from Dianthus (kudos for a quality product) is new to me and it’ll take a while to adjust from my usual OCP to RCP with intelligence. I expect we’ll be planning a palace jump (to take advantage of the FP Corruption Bug) so RCP really loses its benefit at that point.

CF: Actually, I meant tile production instead of worker production and you’re right, getting to The Republic ASAP and upgrading troops is not possible. Probably, a science push to Republic should be followed by minimum science on Polytheism (?). Also thanks for the reminder about the UU. We should probably make it a priority to bring horses into our empire either by taking Urskador or settling the ones to the SE, so that developing military can be started.

CF: About governors, I only use them on recently conquered towns and turn them off once the resistance is over. My choice was left toggled from a recent Korean campaign and was used when I began the game. The other choices are easy enough to turn on/off when getting the game so as not to be an issue. My ‘hope no one minds’ was in reference to the grid display.

:beer:

@denyd
Actually, The Purple/Mauve could go 2E to stay on the 10.

<edit>
I agree in general with your Military plan but consider unhooking the Iron to be exploitative. I'm not going being pedantic about this but would prefer that we played "Honourably".
</edit>

@CF
The screenshot shows 382gp in the bank. Just right for upgrading 10 Warriors :)

I agree that we need to go the Horse route but we'll probably have to use Swords in the short term as Ansars are still off in the distance.

Ted

Originally posted by TedJackson
[B@CF
The screenshot shows 382gp in the bank. Just right for upgrading 10 Warriors :)[/B]
The screen shot shows 382g +0gpt. Enough for 9!;)

My point was that with the +0gpt, upgrading would be a one time deal.

I think 10 (or 9 as it would be) swords would be more than enough to capture horses. Meanwhile, getting to Republic and shutting off research until Chivalry could be researched at min would leave plenty of gold for upgrading Ansars.

Anyway, enough of me butting in. You all will surely contest the highest of GOTM scores, or Medal Series scores (despite a little pre map knowledge.)

The screen shot shows 382g +0gpt. Enough for 9!;)
The settlers in this screenshot from the 1525BC save might change the gpt situation slightly :D

Ted

I would say that we upgrade enough Swordsmen to take Uskudar and either Sogut or Arbela. This gets us Horses, and puts a crimp in the Ottomans and Persian plans. Persia we need catapults for, as that 4 attack will be very tough to defend against.

Persia only gets an attack of 4 if they connect their iron.

:D :D :D

Ted

You are correct, however I don't know how feasible that is. They've had Iron Working for some time, so if they have any Iron, they've produced a few Immortals by now. If Iron is deep within their territory, we'll have to either abuse ROP to get there, or slowly and painfully make our way to the Iron source.

I'm at work, so I can't look at the map, so I don't know where their Iron (if there is any) is located. It could be they don't have any sources nearby, which makes them a juicy high priority target.

Top Bottom