Besides Huns, which civs are best for early rushing?

Yeah but doing that really delays your rush, so it won't be a rush at all. It is very situational with Germany, sometimes you don't get to clear too many camps, and even if you do, you are not guaranteed to get units from them. In one game I cleared all the camps I found, and got 2 units out of them. You can gather a decent military, but will it be soon enough to do a CB rush? Maybe an XB rush could be performed, but you really need to get lucky with camps.

But which unit you get is determined by the last unit to occupy the camp.

Is it the last unit to occupy the camp or the last unit killed on the camp? I thought the idea was that once you get a good spawn, then only use archers for hunting and clearing camps (since that will prevent you from clearing a camp while the camp is occupied)? I will confess that I never could get the mechanic to be reliable.

Mongolia is quite good for early rushes. Deity Honor opener for the free Khan.

Chariots + Spearmen + Khan

Let your spearmen heal 25 hp while fortified outside an enemy city and give them cover promotions, while your chariot archers blast away at a city unimpeded. Even if they take damage, they can heal up fast. 25 healing in enemy territory at that point in the game is fantastic.

Is it the last unit to occupy the camp or the last unit killed on the camp? I thought the idea was that once you get a good spawn, then only use archers for hunting and clearing camps (since that will prevent you from clearing a camp while the camp is occupied)? I will confess that I never could get the mechanic to be reliable.
It is the last unit to occupy the camp. So if you want to cherry-pick units you need to let a barb respawn in the camp, hoping that an AI scout will not come to clear the empty camp in the mean time, and that the next spawn is a desired unit. And even then, there is still a 1/3 chance that you get nothing. They work well with raging barbs, but other than that, it's just a minor bonus that will maybe spare you some hammers early game.

Top Bottom