CIV 5 + DirectX 12 in Windows 10

jimc52

Chieftain
Hi Folks, got a question, hope you have some answers or at least best guesses...

I am about ready to build a new computer, and CIV 5 is my main concern. I currently am running Steam and CIV 5 on a Windows 7 Professional computer with an older graphics card and DirectX 11 choice at game start up.

In putting a component build together for a new computer, I began investigating DirectX and Windows 10 which is due to come out on July 29, see an example like this...

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/so...-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

Microsoft has snuck DirectX 12 into the new operating system. Nvidia says that they plan to support all cards going back a long ways, but I guess (and I am not concerned since I won't buy one of theirs) ATI (ADM.

Anyway, I am concerned that maybe the game will fail to run or run into problems with DirectX12 EVEN THO I am reading Microsoft swears DirectX 12 will be compatible with older Direct X's. Since CIV 5 is a DirectX 11 or lower game, are the game developers working to ensure that CIV 5 is game compatible with Windows 10 and Direct X 12? I would hate to put together a $1500 computer with all the latest goodies and find out my BELOVED CIV 5 falls flat on its face.

Can anyone enlighten me or at least give me some hints. My experience has always been great with CIV 5, but like everything else, times change. I hope that CIV 5 will transition well under Windows 10 and Direct X 12. I don't know if Microsoft has worked with our game developers on compatibility issues or if the developers are concerned that the game works under this new Direct X and Windows platform.

Any comments, suggestions, hints, or insider knowledge would be very helpful before I go dump a good wad of money to build a new gamer. Thanks everyone.

I will continue to use Windows 7 because it does everything I need. My touchscreen laptop and tablet will stay 8 because it does all I need.

Just because Windows 9 (sue me, Microsoft) will come with DX12 doesn't mean that's all it will run. Also, the community at large have gone above and beyond to make sure that outdated, obscure DOS software that requires specific sound cards and controllers and/or CPU speeds runs great even on modern hardware. A still relevant, one of the most popular games out there will be fine.

I would advise NOT building a new computer for Windows 10 until others validate Civ V and other things run there fine. Windows 7 is a perfectly good OS so why risk it? If I can upgrade, not reinstall, to Windows 10 I might consider it some day in the future, but certainly not anytime soon unless I have a catastrophic failure on my current PC.

I would advise NOT building a new computer for Windows 10 until others validate Civ V and other things run there fine. Windows 7 is a perfectly good OS so why risk it? If I can upgrade, not reinstall, to Windows 10 I might consider it some day in the future, but certainly not anytime soon unless I have a catastrophic failure on my current PC.

Running Windows 10 Insider Preview and Civ 5 plays just fine and dandy. I'm right there for first in line for release day update. Love me some Windows 8 so add in the features of Windows 10...yup.

It works with all the games I've tested so I'm not too worried about compatibility.

No wonder they`re giving away Win 10, because everyone`s happy with Win 7!

And how long did it take them to get DX11 working with games? About 2 years from when it was implemented and even then it was overhyped. Also what are the benefits of Win 10? What do I get (without needing to buy peripheral crap) with Windows X that makes it better for me?

However, since it`s free, I`m going to give it a run, but if it fouls up my pc and games, I`m going right back to 7 in a flash, even if I have to reformat the whole PC to do it!

Thanks everyone for replying, all good answers and input. I love Windows 7, but it will now be 3 operating systems behind Windows 10 (7, 8.0, 8.10). The reason why I am doing this is because I have had an irreparable failure on my motherboard and I must build a new computer. If I spend $150 on another copy of W7 Pro OEM, I will not have a purchased copy of W10...just saying, I don't want my O/S obsolesced as being out of date and not getting security updates any longer. Yes, I could put another copy of W7 OEM on the new computer and that would solve this issue, but I am reading that W10 is slated to handle threads more efficiently than before, and this could translate into better overall performance, maybe affect improved game performance. I love CIV 5 so much anything I can do to enhance it I am all for. Been playing this since the early 1990's, whenever CIV I came out...its my absolute favorite game on the planet and nothing else can take its place. Thanks everyone. I especially appreciated the inside input on CIV 5 working great with W10. I feel encouraged! BTW, I am reading that W10 is supposed to be the best of both W7 and W8.1. I guess we shall see...thanks everyone.

If you're worried about spending money to buy a copy of Win10 after you've already spent money to buy a new copy of Win7, don't be: Win10 will be available as a free upgrade for users of legal copies of Win7 and Win8.1 for the first year after its release (ie. if you have Win7 or Win8.1, you can get a free upgrade to Win10 so long as you take the plunge within a year of Win10's release). There are many reasons behind this move, but the technical reasoning is that Microsoft wishes to make Win10 their last *big* OS update from what I've heard (ie. they're going to release iterative updates after Win10, like Apple with OSX), so they want to make sure they get as many people up-to-date with the current version as possible: they might lose $100 per customer right now, but they'll gain more in the long run by not only having a larger market to sell smaller updates to, but also have a larger market for Windows Store (Microsoft gets a cut of sales through Windows Store, remember).

If you're worried about spending money to buy a copy of Win10 after you've already spent money to buy a new copy of Win7, don't be: Win10 will be available as a free upgrade for users of legal copies of Win7 and Win8.1 for the first year after its release (ie. if you have Win7 or Win8.1, you can get a free upgrade to Win10 so long as you take the plunge within a year of Win10's release).

This.

I have had an irreparable failure on my motherboard and I must build a new computer. If I spend $150 on another copy of W7 Pro OEM

If you're using W7 on one machine, you only need one license, right? I'm not sure how replacing a dead machine means you need a new Windows. In fact, while I wouldn't advise it (does this only apply to older Windows?), you could just attach your existing drive to your new hardware, get the new drivers in order, and continue using the same Windows.

If you're using W7 on one machine, you only need one license, right? I'm not sure how replacing a dead machine means you need a new Windows. In fact, while I wouldn't advise it (does this only apply to older Windows?), you could just attach your existing drive to your new hardware, get the new drivers in order, and continue using the same Windows.

All correct.

If you're worried about spending money to buy a copy of Win10 after you've already spent money to buy a new copy of Win7, don't be: Win10 will be available as a free upgrade for users of legal copies of Win7 and Win8.1 for the first year after its release (ie. if you have Win7 or Win8.1, you can get a free upgrade to Win10 so long as you take the plunge within a year of Win10's release). There are many reasons behind this move, but the technical reasoning is that Microsoft wishes to make Win10 their last *big* OS update from what I've heard (ie. they're going to release iterative updates after Win10, like Apple with OSX), so they want to make sure they get as many people up-to-date with the current version as possible: they might lose $100 per customer right now, but they'll gain more in the long run by not only having a larger market to sell smaller updates to, but also have a larger market for Windows Store (Microsoft gets a cut of sales through Windows Store, remember).

What exactly does 'upgrade' mean? Can I literally update an existing Win 7 installation or are we talking a free DVD with Win 10 that I get to install from scratch?

If it's actually an update path, what compatibility issues are known or are they claiming full compatibility for everything that runs on Win 7?

If it's a brand new computer, you won't have problems.

Civ V just won't take advantage of any of the new functions exposed by the DirectX 12 API. We can probably assume the same for Beyond Earth.

Now if you have an old computer then it's possible there may be a video driver incompatibility with DirectX 12, but if that occurs, you would have a much more serious problem than not being able to play Civ V.

Top Bottom