Venice early wonder

JaggedBear

Chieftain
I'm going to try get an early wonder with Venice on difficulty 6, I'm thinking Hanging Gardens or Colossus as the best two. In general what would be better for Venice going for a diplo or cultural victory?
Cheers Jag

Colossus or Great Lighthouse. Both is good because it has purposes for your navy.

Hanging Garden is also quite a fine wonder to rush for your super capital.

You should have enough trade routes to make both Wonders somewhat irrelevant. Just keep pumping food into Venice with domestic routes and you're good.

If you want to shoot for an early Wonder, aim for one with Great Merchant points.

In my view Colossus, Great Lighthouse, Mausoleum of Halicanissus & Hanging Gargens can all be viable choices.

Colossus is very good but it takes you away from Optics. I do definitely recommend 1 of the Merchant point wonders. If you have a heavy stone start Mausoleum is a no brained.

If you are missing a river than Hanging Gardens is also essential.

I don't have wonders of the ancient world yet so those are out. In the game I'm playing atm I haven't found any city states yet so I've got nothing to use my mov on yet. What are the odds of getting both? The other civs I've met so far havnt gone up tradition and I've been finding in the last couple of games Ai seem to prefer piety over the others. Thoughts?

You're playing Immortal right?

It's hard to say. Most AIs don't do tradition anymore so I might be tempted to try Colossus first and then Hanging Gardens.

You should have enough trade routes to make both Wonders somewhat irrelevant. Just keep pumping food into Venice with domestic routes and you're good.

This makes NO sense at all for the Colossus, which basically gives you two free trade routes to do with as you please.

However, you can think of the colossus as 14 food towards venice (2 food ships), so it beats the HG by a mile.

On such a low difficulty setting I'd go for Temple of Artemis>Colossus>Hagia Sofia (to enhance or found)

If you have a particularly good start you can squeeze in stonehenge and the HG as well, it all depends on your dirt.

I'd go for Hanging Gardens.

Food ship can be pilliged and at one point you'll more then enough trade routes anyway.

Another question is if you can get it. While many(most) like Piety, theres always that one :/

Good luck. You'll need it.

You're playing Immortal right?
6 is Emperor.

I consider the Colossus as the #1 early game wonder for Venice, unless you have a coastal desert start in which case Petra could be better. If you make a serious effort to get it on Emperor, you will. Venice benefits from the Colossus more than any other civ and it is the best way to bring AI cargo ships your way, especially because you can't settle new cities. On top of that, it generates 5 GPT and 1 GPP towards a MoV.

Hanging Gardens is nice, but I wouldn't bother unless you can't build a regular Garden. Because of how good Venice's starts usually are and the production bottleneck, the likelihood of an early attack by an AI is very high. You probably won't have enough gold to buy an entire army that early on, so you should consider building some units to defend yourself with.

This makes NO sense at all for the Colossus, which basically gives you two free trade routes to do with as you please.

However, you can think of the colossus as 14 food towards venice (2 food ships), so it beats the HG by a mile.

Venice is swimming in Trade Routes. It's not like those extra two are going to make you the top civ in the game. They are nice to have but you're hardly going to miss them if you don't make the Colossus.

6 is Emperor.

I consider the Colossus as the #1 early game wonder for Venice, unless you have a coastal desert start in which case Petra could be better. If you make a serious effort to get it on Emperor, you will. Venice benefits from the Colossus more than any other civ and it is the best way to bring AI cargo ships your way, especially because you can't settle new cities. On top of that, it generates 5 GPT and 1 GPP towards a MoV.

Hanging Gardens is nice, but I wouldn't bother unless you can't build a regular Garden. Because of how good Venice's starts usually are and the production bottleneck, the likelihood of an early attack by an AI is very high. You probably won't have enough gold to buy an entire army that early on, so you should consider building some units to defend yourself with.

Yeah Colossus is pretty solid. The other very compelling reason to build it is that the +5 gold will boost the gold income from your trade routes to other civs or city states so the actual gpt from Colossus can be much higher (I forget the exact conversion).

If he/she is playing at Emperor you should also be able to get Hanging Gardens after the Colossus just as soon as you hit Iron Working tech straight to Mathematics. Since with Venice you don't have to build settlers you should try and invest in at least 2 early wonders.

I get the colossus more often than not on Continents Large when I beeline it. On Deity. Why is everyone acting like it's some impossible achievment to get it on Emperor of all difficulties?

I get the colossus more often than not on Continents Large when I beeline it. On Deity. Why is everyone acting like it's some impossible achievment to get it on Emperor of all difficulties?

Probably because a lot of us are conditioned into playing Diety style where early Wonders are avoided. However even for Diety Venice is the 1 exception to early wonders as you can't build settlers and you have a lot more turns to grow your capital so you should aim for some Wonders.

On Emperor there shouldnt be any issue in getting Colossus if you don't delay it too long.

If you want to shoot for an early Wonder, aim for one with Great Merchant points.

But the more the better!

Top Bottom