Unit Creation Sounds Thread

What do you think about a Sounds thread??

• It could be very useful!!!

Votes: 271 84.7%
  • It's OK

Votes: 43 13.4%
  • I don't like the idea,It can't be useful...

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Bad idea!!

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
bear (2)
boat hit - sink
bow firing (6)
cannon (7)
tiger (2)
wildpig (2)
catapult hit - die
catapult range attack (3)
voice: Bismarck (4)
voice: Black Prince (2)
death (1-5)
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/varioussounds2.zip (2'356ko)

Explosion (3)
Farmer work
gator attack (2)
ghost
giant salamander
bear die
bear hit
growl
haleberd (2)
heligun
death (3)
hit flesh, metal, padded, etc. (11)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/varioussounds3.zip (2'114ko)

Hits (5)
horse (5)
kung fu (2)
laser (4)
laser cannon
mech sounds - robots (13)
mgun (3)
multicannon
voice : Elizabeth (2)
rifle (4)
elephant (4)
flame throw

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/varioussounds4.zip (1299ko)

Jet Crash
Chariot
Chinese Troubadour
crossbow
voice (6)
grunt (7)
mounted unit death
mech (4)
tiger (7)
torpedo
submarine
volcano
sword attack (4)
Teleport
Thunder

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/varioussounds5.zip (1'705ko)

Explosion (2)
Fire
flies
gator (2)
bear(2)
growl(2)
halberd (2)
hit (10)
die (2)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/varioussounds6.zip (2584ko)

Originally posted by Kinboat
I have two points...

First anyone here ever heard of a game called Steel Panthers World at War... Matrix Games released it as freeware a little while ago... Anyway my point here is that it has a ton of WW1/2 based sounds in wav format... I'll post two here for review, but look at my second point first.

Second I can't seem to get any sounds I create or modify to work in the game.... I've converted them to 22, 8bit mono like the other sounds are and I don't get anything... Is there something I'm missing? (obviously I am) With that in mind I'm posting two samples of Sounds from SPWaW... They aren't in the right format for civ3 yet. I have a ton of other sounds from that game if anyone wants to request a specific gun or tank sound (planes too) Or you should be able to download the complete game at Matrix Games' site (don't know offhand) It is a hefty 300meg.

You play SPWAW? Cool. That game rocks.

This is a very useful post.
Like others, I have a collection of sounds from numerous older games.
Talonsofts World at War series, also has many good WW2 sound effects.
I'm not sure yet if they will work with Civ3 or PTW, but they do sound great.
I will attempt to convert a few of them (according to nonnog6's previously posted instructions on this post) and see if they'll fly.

frekk, I have some of the old DOS Steel Panther games, as well.
It would be great to be able to convert all of these sound files and then have a Sound Library post, organized in a similar fashion (by appropriate period, and type of weapon, for example) as the Unit Library, in the Forum.
If anyone has successfully converted (Civilized) any of the sound files from the aforementioned games, please let us know. No since in re-inventing the wheel if someone else is already rolling!
CB

whats the deal with .amb files? what are they for and waht do they do??
________
Ball bearing (lexus)

That’s a good question that I have asked myself. I believe that the .amb files are a collection of sound bites or wavs that have been arranged to run in a specific sequence or order. But I don’t have the ability to play or modify them independently so I can’t verify this. I know that the game understands them and derives a sequence of sound effects from them. If someone can direct us to a program that will allow us to play, modify, and create .amb files, as well as a program that is versatile enough to convert other Wav files into a form that Civ understands, it would be appreciated.

I have been trying to figure out how to make these myself, but with no luck. I hope someone knows, as it would be extremly useful in unit making.

I was wondering if anybody had any hyena sounds. Like the laughing noise they like to make.

shouldn't there be a directory made?

This has to be one of the best, most useful threads around. Nice work Pablostuka! :)

I never really put a lot of though into Civ3 sounds until now.

If you want a good source for voices, in this case WW2, then check out the Medal of Honor sounds. They're all .wav files and MP3 files so all you have to do is change the format. Note that this includes German voices. Very useful since there's a file for every bit of speech in the game. Only problem is that the different file names are just numbers so --if you you don't speak German-- you have to go into the American section, find the appropriate sound and find the equivilant numbered file in the German section...I'm assuming (see my attachment).

Another FPS is Battlefield 1942. Can't remember if the files are in .wav format though.

I know Panzer Genral 3D ships with some good sounds (some of which are .wav files).

And of course, one of the best places for a wide selection of sounds is the Civ2 downloads section (Civ2 ain't dead yet..at least not until Civ3 gets Events ;) ).

BTW, there's actually a .wav file that I found in MOA that has a German yelling victory...I think. (I'm using this in a Civ2 scen where you get this sound whenever the Germans capture a city --pretty cool.) Would someone who speaks German be nice enough to confirm that this is in fact what he's saying? Here's the file:

Attachments

• victory!!!.zip
    67.1 KB · Views: 305
I'm not sure if this is the thread to post sound files questions, but does anyone know where I can get the WAV. file from any of the command and conquer games where the man's voice says, "Reinforcements have arrived!"

I'm working on a scenario right now for Civ III, and this sound file would be a nice addition. Any help or info is welcomed.

Thank you :D

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to apply this to Civ3? I ask because Civ3 doesn't use a scripting language, like Civ2 does, so I can't think how you would activate the .wav file for that purpose. (I'm always interested in new applicatons that make up for lack of events.)

Um, the units have their "text" file that "asks" for the sound file it should play for example, when the unit dies, runs, attacks, etc.

Simply delete whatever is in place for say, the fortify sound with the sound you wanted to add.

In my example, I want to change the paradrop sound to the, "Reinforcements have arrived." sound.

Assuming there is a paradrop sound, I didn't look, but I'll still find use for this sound.

As I just figured out, "Build" represents the "Paradrop" animation and sound, so that is how it works.

There's a specific sound for production (e.g. unit built)? Are you sure it isn't just those damn drums :D tha play when certain text messages pop-up like when a bombardment fails for instance?

Thing is, you don't want to have the 'Reinforcements have arrived' file play when a unit gets more experience or is bombarded or all of the other things the people at Firaxis 'cleverly' applied this 'generic' sound to (pardon the sour sarcasm ;) ).

If there actually is a unique sound for production completion or paradrop then yes, I can see where you would use this. (I'm embarrassed that after all this time I never bothered to notice the sound files.)

LOL! Well I looked at a paradropable (try to say THAT 5 times fast...) unit, and the sound of him being paradroped is in the "BUILD=" slot---as is the animation for him being dropped. So, conclusion is, the BUILD= slot is the one for the paradrop...

Ah, I see. Well that should work then. Good scenario idea --adds to the experience.

Hope someone other than me decides to reply to your post and tell you how to extract that file from C&C2. If you do find it, be sure to post it here in .wav format because I, at least, would be interested in something like that. :cool:

Top Bottom