Global Warming mod

What happen if global warming hit a tile with a special ressource, like a cow or oil ? I could see some frustration when your only derrick (or worst : aluminium) sink in the water ; also sea cow may seem a little strange.

What happen if global warming hit a tile with a special ressource, like a cow or oil ? I could see some frustration when your only derrick (or worst : aluminium) sink in the water ; also sea cow may seem a little strange.

Tiles with forts (or cities) can't be hit by global warming so you can protect them that way, otherwise going from land to water removes them. Since oil can be a sea resource I've considered making it survive being submerged, but oil is already forbidden by the map generator from being on a tile next to water so that's already unlikely to happen.

@Minor Annoyance - A couple people recently asked about the status of this mod, and I couldn't find the thread where we were discussing ways to make it work better for more map types. What is the status? Does this mod work for average games, meaning does GW strike often enough to be an impact rather than a . . . er, a minor annoyance? ;)

I can get the simple but significant change of counting land mass instead of total map size for determining the number of potential GW hits out soon. I just have to copy that from the GW defense part and it should even out GW over different map types well. I was going to do more things all at once and release it, but things kept getting in the way, so I'll get this important change out first rather than wait for the game speed changes and the GD defense change which might be complicated.

You should probably factor in not only land tiles but coast too, maybe land + 0.5 * coast, otherwise archipelago and similar will get more gw - because I imagine more cities can be founded with the same number of land tiles - while pangaea types will get less than they deserve.

That's a good idea to count coast as half (or some fraction), but I think what MA is going to do is normalize the GW effect based on the available land so that a huge map with a sole 10-tile island would experience the same "impact" of GW as an all-land map. At least, that's what I'd shoot for so that your map choice wouldn't eliminate or guarantee your chances of being hit by GW. Then again, maybe that would be desirable after all. :confused:

You should probably factor in not only land tiles but coast too, maybe land + 0.5 * coast, otherwise archipelago and similar will get more gw - because I imagine more cities can be founded with the same number of land tiles - while pangaea types will get less than they deserve.

I had thought of using coast tiles too. If a map was full of water but with many 1 to 3 tile islands close enough together that it could have as many cities as a map of all land, but have huge GW because of the small land area.
But then I remembered something else. One of the first things I did was make it possible for GW to hit ocean tiles, and nothing happens to ocean tiles (unless there's ice). So the GW code could run more in that situation, but with all the water around GW would most often hit an ocean tile and have no effect.
So it should even it self out. More GW with less land, but fewer tiles that can be changed.

One of the first things I did was make it possible for GW to hit ocean tiles, and nothing happens to ocean tiles (unless there's ice).
I guess that's where the real prolem for me lies. Ocean without ice should simply not be a valid GW target.
If I compare scaling to map size without ocean as valid GW target to scaling to number of land tiles with ocean as valid target I come to the same result: Maps with lots of water% will suffer far less from GW, in a very similar fashion even. Maybe I misunderstood when I thought that part of the goals of this mod was to make GW effects just as bad for maps with large oceans as it already is for maps with lots of land?
My train of thoughts brought me here: coast needs to be factored in, not as much as land though, suggested iCoastWeight = 50 (%). Simple ocean must not be a valid target, iced ocean might be, coast however should be, just as land, with a 100% chance that ice melts if present, and in case there is none: a iCoastWeight % chance that nothing happens, and a 100-iCoastWeight % chance that a different GW target has to be selected.

As long as the code isn't computationally expensive it wouldn't worry me if on water heavy maps lots of water tiles kept getting hit. I'm assuming that if an ocean tile is hit it isn't reported in any way, as that would be pretty annoying.

I'm just patiently waiting for the next update, as it'll probably kick me into gear to do fix up another update for PIG Mod.

It should be uploaded today. I just have to make sure my settings set back from from testing values, i.e. 90:yuck: forges. Can't leave that in.

As long as the code isn't computationally expensive it wouldn't worry me if on water heavy maps lots of water tiles kept getting hit. I'm assuming that if an ocean tile is hit it isn't reported in any way, as that would be pretty annoying.
It only reports if the tiles changes. If it picks a tiles that can't be changed (inland desert or ocean) then it does nothing but still counts for however many GW hits were going to happen.

Uploaded:

Version 1.10
- Upgraded to 3.19
- Chance of GW adjusts better to maps with different ocean/landmass sizes.
- Weight of power bad health increased to 10. In GlobalDefinesAlt.xml as GLOBAL_WARMING_POWER_WEIGHT
- Weight of bonus bad health increased to 10. In GlobalDefinesAlt.xml as GLOBAL_WARMING_BONUS_WEIGHT

It's a one line and two number change, but it should

On the OP, a lot more than BUFFY and PIG have the this mod in it. Since it was part of BULL, it became part of RevDCM, which means it's part of LoR, Dune Wars (but they might have turned GW off, IDK), RoM, Quot Capita, and any other RevDCM derivations... there are a lot. Probably in ~ half of all Civ4 Mods. The other half is FFH2. Lol.

Just thought you should know.

Keep in mind that it is off by default in BULL (changes gameplay). You have to specifically enable it using /D_MOD_GWARM and merge in the Optional assets for it.

Keep in mind that it is off by default in BULL (changes gameplay). You have to specifically enable it using /D_MOD_GWARM and merge in the Optional assets for it.

I know, I have the flag enabled in my makefile. It's on by default in RevDCM though.

I knew about LoR but I just hadn't gotten around to listing it. Didn't know about the rest though.

By the way, I'm using the scripted install program so it should be installing automatically in the correct place. I have it on the D drive and added a games folder in Program Files. So if anyone can confirm that it is installing in their correct folder that would be good.

It should be uploaded today. I just have to make sure my settings set back from from testing values, i.e. 90:yuck: forges. Can't leave that in.

:lol: Yeah please do that. Thx:)

EDIT
Whoops. Just found 6 more posts I didn't see before posting this.

I notice you're released it now. Thanks a heap :goodjob:

Minor Annoyance,

I've merged this v1.10 into the latest build of PIG but in my tests I have not been able to produce nuclear winter nor GW effects.

Can you please give some instructions for the best way to actually test the modcomp is working? Maybe a particular maptype is best. Maybe it's best to clear all forest from the map. Change the forge to 99:yuck: etc. What XML values in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml should be tweaked as well?

Top Bottom