Global Warming mod

Minor Annoyance,

I've merged this v1.10 into the latest build of PIG but in my tests I have not been able to produce nuclear winter nor GW effects.

Can you please give some instructions for the best way to actually test the modcomp is working? Maybe a particular maptype is best. Maybe it's best to clear all forest from the map. Change the forge to 99:yuck: etc. What XML values in the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml should be tweaked as well?

Using the worldbuilder save attached I used three nukes and started getting fallout where I didn't drop nukes, and after nine I got freezing.

When testing put the GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB and NUCLEAR_WINTER_PROB to 100. The 99:yuck: forge is what I've been using just to make sure it can happen i.e. the code works. I haven't yet produced a good map that is just like a late game map played from the beginning so I can adjust the tree GLOBAL_WARMING_*_WEIGHT values to see what produces GW under those circumstances. Setting GLOBAL_WARMING_UNHEALTH_WEIGHT to 20 would be the same as it was originally, but since recycling can counter that now it might be fine. That would just leave power and bonus unhealth, which might not be enough to trigger GW on their own but would make it worse with building unhealth.

I've been fidgeting with this mod, with no luck. Just wondering is any of you have actually been bble to test this mod. can you please provide details on which map you tested it on etc.?

oh if not this one, is there anything similar that someone has made or is currently working on? I tried to find but no luck so far. thnx!

Despite haveing made this mod years ago I'm just testing it in a real game now, due to my old computer being too slow to finish a game in a timely manner (i.e. not taking 100+ hours and several months). Setting GLOBAL_WARMING_UNHEALTH_WEIGHT to 20 is a change I'm testing because people have reported not getting global warming even though the code does work, so it must be the settings. I'm just getting the to industrial era. If I can't stretch this game out long enough to see heavy factory use I'll start my next game at the Renaissance at a slower speed to have more time in the high pollution eras, and play on a low forest map like the great plains.
So I won't be playing civ 5 until I can confirm setting where global warming will trigger.

A very minor change that should be a significant difference. I originally changed the weight of bad health from 20 to 10 to reduce the occurrence of GW but when combined with other changes the change of it happening went way down to the point where it would look like it was just turned off. Now it's back where it originally was, which with the added power and bonus unhealth added to GW calculations would mean it has a higher chance than unmodded, but with other balancing factors it should end up being less overall, but not non-existent.

So the change is:
- Weight of bad building health in global warming calculation increased from 10 back to 20. In GlobalDefinesAlt.xml as GLOBAL_WARMING_UNHEALTH_WEIGHT

Ok this question may look stupid, but I am new to using mods. This mod looks cool and I have downloaded the 34civGWmod1.01 and unzip it to get a single CvGameCoreDLL.dll file.

But just what do I do with this? Which folder do I place it in to get it to work?
Thanks

My guess is that you need to install the regular mod and then place that DLL file inside the mod's Assets folder, replacing the normal one there.

The actually mod is found here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11408
That's the 1.11 version

Those two additional files (like 34civGWmod1.01) on the first post as attachments were for people who wanted the higher 34 civ count or the added better AI mod. Both of those files are obsolete. They're made from old versions of the mod so you don't want to use them. I really should just delete them. The reason those two files were never updated is because this mod has been incorporated into several other mods so it became less likely that people would use this mod alone, rather than as part of a larger mod. I really wish people would tell me when it's in other mods so I can promote those mods in the post for my mod so anyone looking at it can see where else it's available.

So if you're just looking for the original mod then http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11408 is all you need. If you want the version that allows 32 civs at the same time, then I'll have to make that.

Also, try PIG Mod if you want something like this mod that does more tweaking then adding of changing a lot of stuff.

No, there isn't. I don't think most of the things I attempt to fix are even in vanilla Civ 4, like global warming from unhealthy buildings, which I thought caused problems the way it was implemented.

I had been planning on adding this to my mod, which also uses BBAI. I see now that the merged DLL file is obsolete - will it ever be updated? I despise the way global warming works in BTS and this mod seemed like an excellent way to fix it.

I didn't plan on updating that file anymore because it seemed that few people were using this mod alone, and were more likely playing it as part of another mod someone else made, and they all have BBAI so it seemed unlikely that many people would want only GW and BBAI. Also, all my modding stuff was set up on my old (slow) computer which is not connected to the internet so it would be a hassle to do it if there wasn't a demand for it.
But I could if I have the time. I'm still playing Mass Effect 1 and have only done three scenarios in FfH2.
You may want to try using the DLL from PIG mod: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=328283 It has better AI and GWMod.
If you do use some other mod that uses this one, then make sure it has this change
- Weight of bad building health in global warming calculation increased from 10 back to 20. In GlobalDefinesAlt.xml as GLOBAL_WARMING_UNHEALTH_WEIGHT
I'm not entirely sure word got out on that change and it may have had a significant improvement.

I'm not entirely sure word got out on that change and it may have had a significant improvement.

The word did not get back to the BUFFY team (Hall of Fame mod). The value is still 10 there. It seems to me that you really prefer this to be 20 and possibly consider it a bug in GWMod?

I don't know if you worked closely with that group or not, but could you mention it to them? I don't know if they ever intend to update BUFFY again, but if so, it would be nice to get that in there.

I am subscribed to this thread and will apply the fix to BULL which is in BUFFY. If there's another BUFFY release, it should be included.

First off, I signed up to this forum based on reading about this mod- In fact, I actually found this website/forum looking for a global warming mod and a better diplomacy mod and I ended up here. =)

Last night I was playing an epic game that had been going on for weeks (real time) and had been a full blown nuclear showdown during my war with the bastard Hammarabi... Now, I am new to Civ 4 (I played the version n the PS3) and was in awe when global; warming started hitting the land. Good stuff. =)

-Then, I was really disappointed. I honestly expected the ice to start melting and the water level to rise creating an awesome Al Gore catyclism to coastal cities. I figued there would be some determining factor such as 'for every X amount of ice that melts the sea will rise by an equation of Y' something like 100 melted blocks rises the sea level 1 block of land or whatever the math gurus would calculate to make it sensible.

I also expected more from my ICBMs than what I got. After nukeing Hammarabis main city like 30 times in a row it should be a wasteland not have 3 population and a bit of glowing desert.

This game is a masterpiece and probably the most perfect game I have ever played. But mods like this are needed...Now I have to figure out how to mod this up lol.

Anyhow thanks for the work on this. I have some reading to do to figure out exactly how I want to mod my next epic game and how to make it all work.

Thanks. I started it because, like you, when I discovered how global warming really worked I couldn't live with it. No one else seemed to like it the way it was but no one jumped up to mod it. So I figured it out myself, more or less. Some code was written for me when I asked how to do something on the forum. I had never changed source code written c++.
I had the first global warming mod and it was included in some other mod packs but I think now most big project mods have their own changes to global warming that they started from scratch. So look around. There are plenty out there.

Does this mod have some sort of indicator on how close you might be to a global warming event?
I imagine that once you gain some sort of technology level, maybe biology then a global warming advisor becomes available?

Ive always hated how global warming just happens with no warning.

That's a good idea, although one I wouldn't know how to implement. Never tried to add new interface. If someone did know how to do interface it would just be getting a number and putting it on screen. Doable, just not by me. :sad:

Top Bottom