How to Add/Use These New Units

I am new to creating units. I have done everything and getting all the errors. Is there any step by step for PTW with all the patches. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

i'm getting this message in my game that says load game error, arts/units/swordsman/SwordmanFortify.wav not found, but its right there, what do i do?

Originally posted by tube74
i'm getting this message in my game that says load game error, arts/units/swordsman/SwordmanFortify.wav not found, but its right there, what do i do?

Have you changed the swordsman fortify file name at all?

Originally posted by jade8880
Could anyone explain how to modify the .amb file?

Thank you in advance.
You can't. No one has found out how, at least.

Hello.

I have created a new unit, added a Civilopedia entry, and even added it in the PediaIcons.txt. Yet every time I try to go and play the scenario with this new unit, after I create my first city, the game just goes away and I'm back at my desktop. Is there anything I'm doing wrong here? A reply solving my problems would be very helpful.

-Thnx

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...."
....but it won't work in the game. :D

You MUST MAKE SURE that ALL the file names mentioned in the ini configuration file (flc names, sound names, amb names, etc) are IDENTICAL to file names in the unit folder, as well as making sure that the folder name is IDENTICAL to the name of the ini file within that folder.
(Spaces, capital letters....everything must be the same).

That should fix it. :)

Lol on that quote, Kryten! I have managed to fix it. Thnx 4 the advice!

Originally posted by Boris Badinov
The above posts were very useful in adding units to a scenario (*.bic) file. But is there a way to add units to an already in-progress game or do you have to start all over when you add or edit a new unit???

PLEASE,
can anybody tell me if it's possible to play with added units in random-generated- map games?

Okay, so I downloaded a Crusader unit and am trying to incorporate it. All the files in the Crusader file are named Crusader{whatever}.
I made a civlopedia entry for it (by copying knight and just replacing the word knight or knights with crusader or crusader).
Next I did the same thing for the pedialcons in both parts, #ICON_PRTO_Crusader
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x_crusader.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x_crusader.pcx

and

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Crusader
Crusader.

I haven't been able to get it to work. I've tried assigning the x_ part a number and that has not worked (when adding a new unit, what is that part supposed to be?). I've tried adding crusader to the text and civlopedia files in both the play the world and regular files (which one should I be adding crusader to?)

And I still haven't seen the icon for it in the editor even though I make sure the Crusader unit that I add with the add unit button looks exactly the same as a knight except for it's name and PRTO_Crusader.

In some of the tutorials (I try to peace instructions from seemingly incomplete tutorials, though it may just be my own fault for not understanding), I have have seen that we are supposed to work with a civ3mod.bic file. I have a civ3mod file and I don't know if it is the same as a civ3mod.bic file. In either case, the icon for the crusader doesn't show up when I open that either.

I don't have copytool because I've been told in multiple tutorials I don't need it.

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. The person that can help me out will be my hero.

adding the units is not hard in PTW. i am running into a problem however that i have no idea how to fix. i saved over the 'marla singers' map with a new scenario i am making. i added units everything works fine except that when i fill in which countries can make that unit ONLY, it seems to be ignoring me. EXAMPLE: i set terrorists up to be made only be pakistan/afghan council. but it can be made by every civ in the game. how do i remedy this??

A lot of people asked this and as they didn't get any answer, I'm asking again
the changes in the pediaicons.txt, civilopedia.txt are made in the civ3 or civ3ptw folder???
thank you all

depends if you're adding the unit to 'vanilla' civ or ptw. And if it's ptw, then it would probably need to go in a specific scenario folder.

Why oh why did they go include the ANIMNAME thingy... It's dumb that you have to have a civilopedia entry even for flavor UU units. :(

I wanted to add some Conquest units to a scenario. I added the Light Tank from the WW2 Pacific scenario to start with.

After I open the WW2 in the Pacific folder I get two others an Art folder and a Text folder. I open the Art folder and find the Units folder, in it I find the Light Tank so I copy this folder and paste it in to the units folder of the in the scenario of my choise.

Time to copy and paste some more. I went back to the WW2 pacific folder and this time I opened the Text folder and there are TWO files in here that we need to copy from, the Civilopedia file and the PediaIcons file.

First we will look in the Civilopedia file to find the PRTO for the Light Tank, its under MECHANIZED UNITS I copy that.

#PRTO_Light_Tank
^
^
^[Light tanks] are fast-moving offensive units that can [attack multiple times] in a single turn and [withdraw]
from combat if they are losing (unless fighting another fast unit, of course).
^
^A city must have both $LINK<oil=GOOD_Oil> and $LINK<rubber=GOOD_Rubber> in its
$LINK<Strategic Resource=GCON_ResourcesS> box to build a Light Tank.
#DESC_PRTO_Light_Tank
^
^
^During WWII, the Pacific theatre proportionally saw more light tanks in combat than $LINK<medium=PRTO_Tank>
or heavy models. This was no doubt due in large part to the lower ground pressure of the light tank compared to
its heavier brethren (thus less chance of bogging in soft terrain), and to the relative ease of transporting the
smaller, lighter vehicles on transport ships and amphibious landing vehicles. Light tanks had thinner armor than
medium tanks, and their guns were generally of smaller size. The U.S. supplied both their own and Commonwealth
troops with many hundreds of light tanks (models M3 and M5, both with a 37mm main gun). On the other side, the
most common Japanese light tank during WWII was the Type 95 "Ha Go" (also sporting a 37mm main gun), which saw
its first action with the Kwantung Army during 1937 in China.

I go back to the scenario that we added the Light Tank unit file to. We find the Civilopedia file the same way as before and paste what was copied in to this Civilopedia, just go paste it with the other units. I put it just before the Tank.

Now back to the WW2 Pacific folder we open the Text folder again and locate the PediaIcons file. Once open we will need to copy two things the

#ICON_PRTO_Light_Tank
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x2_LightTank civpedia lg.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\x2_LightTank civpedia sm.pcx

and
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Light_Tank
Light Tank

After we copy these two things and paste them in to the PediaIcons file (in their correct spots)in the scenario that we have been pasting other things, we should be able to add the unit in the editor and then give it an in game test. Did I miss anything?

Is it possible to have two units with the same name? Or now even the same Civilopedia entry? I'm tired of having flavor units that are all essentially the same to each have different names and their own Civilopedia stuff. :(

Top Bottom