Which has killed more? Politics or Religion?

CurtSibling

ENEMY ACE™
Here is a new question, which arose in my last thread...A post put forth that far more
have been killed in the name of political tyranny than in the name of religious mania...

What do you think? In mankinds history, which one has caused more deaths...?

Just looking to see what you all believe...
Fire away!

I remember a comment by some professor about the recent massacre in Nigeria. He said that the reasons for the conflict where purely political or economical or whatever. However, the reason they managed to gather so many people to to attack the other village was religion. Religion was in other words a more powerful way of making someone "us and them", than the fact that they were different tribes apparantly.

I would say in many cases it's tough to put a conflict in to seperate quarters, as an example;

The British Civil War had a higher death percentage of those involved who were British than WW2 (if i remember my history correctly) and yet it is hard to define just what was the overriding reason for the war. Yes it was because there were disagreements with the monarch but on what grounds? his policies they didn't like coming so soon after the 11 years tyranny but arguably the long parliament was only called due to a religious uprising in Scotland.

I think it is too easy to just say Politics based on the casualties of the 20th century (not just the world wars) that both have killed far more than they should have.

I would say the British have killed the most.

As commie, you should be able to answer that!

:)

As commie, all the more we can't separate the two.

Or do you think the Stalinist ideology is lacking in its superstructural character?

Out of the two, it is clearly politics. But there are just so many factors in a war, so it is never possible to say that one factor fully contributed to the cause of war, but based on the 20th where more people have been killed in war than in most of history, it was caused by political ideologies that caused the vast majority of the wars. Any religious conflict has never been as brutal at the 20th century

Religion is quite harmless as long it stays out of politics. Unfortunately for a lot of people it doesn't.

I tend to think that lack of oxygen to the brain killed most people.

Top Bottom