Civ 5/Steam:Offline Mode Question

So you think the CEO of a company having a heart attack and immediately having a concurrent company take over in it's place (why?), before the corpse of the previous one being cleaned up, and evilly denying everyone their bought games that made the company such a success a plausible scenario? It's as much hyperbole as my story, though my story had more thought behind it.

Nobody said anything about immediate. I said it could happen over the course of five years, and that's not a strict timeline by any means.

Is a privacy policy a EULA? I'm asking I genuinely don't know.

in case of steam yes (i crosschecked it with my native language version)

As a Subscriber, you agree to all of the terms and conditions of the Valve Privacy Policy, which are also incorporated into this Agreement.

In general, the acceptance of the privacy policy is part of the eula (without the privacy policy had no binding charakter - and the firm no right to use the data)

extremely late edit (but i thinks it´s important to clarify): i better had wrote: "in general - i think - ..." - It´s more an educated guess than definite knowledge from my side

We're now using other companies EULA's to prove our points? Goddamit, you should've told me. Let me catch up, I'll just be a minute.

Originally Posted by Sterf
I think it makes you naive, thinking someone would document their possible ends in the EULA.

Looks to me as if you had actually asked for it.

We're now using other companies EULA's to prove our points? Goddamit, you should've told me. Let me catch up, I'll just be a minute.

Because you claimed that to expect someone (not Valve :deal: ) would include their ending in the EULA is naive, i only needed exactly ONE example to prove the opposite - now enjoy the search in the net and elsewhere to find resilient figures how many firm have such or similar formulations in their Eula and how many not :lol:

btw: i still wait
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9232576&postcount=372

Why. Would. You. Think. That. Another. Company. Would. Take. Over. Because. Some. Fat. Guy. Died? He's not the only one in the company you know.

Your point is as ridiculous as anything other in this godawful thread. Based on absolutely nothing, yet bathing in a pool of self-righteous smugness.
Their history of customer relations is pretty much the best you can expect in the gaming industry. Which company allows you to email the CEO and get an actual reply in response besides Valve?

Another company could take over because Valve is privately owned. Depending on a variety of factors, Valve may continue operating or it may end up being shut down and its assets sold off.

I don't see how Valve's customer relations is relevant to a discussion about what may happen if Valve is sold off or shut down. By that point, customer relations would be the least of our worries.

I think it makes you naive, thinking someone would document their possible ends in the EULA. It's so ridiculous I can't even think what to say to you when you believe something like that, besides gnargleflarb.
(bold by me)

your words, your claim, your mistake

Because you claimed that to expect someone (not Valve :deal: ) would include their ending in the EULA is naive, i only needed exactly ONE example to prove the opposite - now enjoy the search in the net and elsewhere to find resilient figures how many firm have such or similar formulations in their Eula and how many not :lol:

What? You make no sense at all, I asked someone else to give me one example of someone who did include such a ridiculous thing in their EULA.

You guys make me feel like I'm trapped in some surrealistic nightmare, and in some ways I am. I'll now patiently wait for some eyes to be cut open and heaps of UELA evidence to come pouring down on me from them.

edit: ah wait. You purposely ignored what I was trying to say and somehow constructed a viewpoint that you thought would be clever to completely miss the point by saying anyone and not just Valve would be what I was looking after. Thus showing some random forum post as being a completely legitimate answer. How grandiosely childish.

(bold by me)

your words, your claim, your mistake

WHAT WHAT? WHAT? WHAT MISTAKE? WHAT?

You make no sense. Which company predicted their possible demise in their UELA? Did I miss something or has everyone finally gone over the deep end?

The topic was covering bankrupt in their Eula, not predicting (do not even try to change the topic). You asked for one example - you got it.

edit:
and i still wait

I'm still not getting what you're saying? You're showing me a random link of someone on this forum and that proves what? Help me out here. Where in their EULA, or anyone elses, is there any talk about bankruptcy? I seriously don't get what you're getting at. If I'm getting burned oh so good as you make it seem, I should at least know what the hell you're talking about no?

I'm not changing topic, but where does it cover that? Or on any company's EULA ever made?

edit: C'mon, help me feel this perceived humiliation, I'm kinda feeling left out.

edit2: Don't be a jackass, let me feel the burn. I'm not feeling it, and by the righteous indignation shown by you I feel like I'm missing out.

edit3:

Aaaaaah. You purposely ignored what I was trying to say and somehow constructed a viewpoint that you thought would be clever to completely miss the point by saying anyone's word and not just Valve's would be what I was looking after. Thus showing some random forum post as being a completely legitimate answer. How grandiosely childish. What do you expect me to say now? Wow, how clever to completely ignore what I was trying to say by completely missing the point. You sure showed me now, good sir. You are the master of the children's playground. You will for sure rule the minds of not yet fully grown children everywhere. This trickery has completely caught me of guard and now I shall stand by your demented viewpoints forever. I shall never recover of this childish attempt at wit.

I'm still not getting what you're saying? You're showing me a random link of someone on this forum and that proves what? Help me out here. Where in their EULA, or anyone elses, is there any talk about bankruptcy? I seriously don't get what you're getting at. If I'm getting burned oh so good as you make it seem, I should at least know what the hell you're talking about no?

I'm not changing topic, but where does it cover that? Or on any company's EULA ever made?

edit: C'mon, help me feel this perceived humiliation, I'm kinda feeling left out.

edit2: Don't be a jackass, let me feel the burn. I'm not feeling it, and by the righteous indignation shown by you I feel like I'm missing out.

edit3:

Aaaaaah. You purposely ignored what I was trying to say and somehow constructed a viewpoint that you thought would be clever to completely miss the point by saying anyone's word and not just Valve's would be what I was looking after. Thus showing some random forum post as being a completely legitimate answer. How grandiosely childish. What do you expect me to say now? Wow, how clever to completely ignore what I was trying to say by completely missing the point. You sure showed me now, good sir. You are the master of the children's playground. You will for sure rule the minds of not yet fully grown children everywhere. This trickery has completely caught me of guard and now I shall stand by your demented viewpoints forever. I shall never recover of this childish attempt at wit.
I don't want to take sides in this debate but I hate to see so much confusion.
I think the key piece of information was in post #376.
in the event of a merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy, or other similar event involving all or a portion of the Company, the Company's customer information may be transferred to our successor or assign.
source: privacy policy take2
If you follow that link it takes you to Take2's privacy policy which includes the quoted piece of text detailing what could happen if something major (such as bankruptcy) were to happen to Take2.

I believe this was in response to this comment of yours
I think it makes you naive, thinking someone would document their possible ends in the EULA. It's so ridiculous I can't even think what to say to you when you believe something like that, besides gnargleflarb.

You certainly uphold the title of dodger of simple questions. Cya. Maybe....

To quote a phrase:

Don't know what the hell you're talking about, seriously.

As for:

....I'll laugh my heart out when I'll see you playing the game though. Can't wait till september, damn.

You will only see me playing Civ5 when I am not required to run Steam to do so.

Cya.

I don't want to take sides in this debate but I hate to see so much confusion.

I wouldn´t say he his really confused, i think he is only a bit annoyed because his gamble turned against him and now shows a certain attitude. But heck, for sure only he knows, so it´s of course only a my speculation based on his attitude shown in his posts. [edit: or better: it´s my feeling about the situation]

But tbh how high shall someone estimate the probability* that someone actual can deliever quickly such a quote from an eula (honestly: who knows the content of eulas by hearth? Perhaps some advocates who wrote them. Even in this case it was only a lucky concurrence that i read this part 10 days ago.) in a internet discussion in a game forum. The reasons using such absolut argument (starting like: you´re naive if you think someone would do ... ) is in most cases (i saw them so far) the attempt to discredit the other poster, trying to allegorize his opinion as something of minor value - also accepting that something similar will be read in all other post of him too.

Also i could argue, that his use of "How grandiosely childish" towards me could be seen as similar attempt (Sterf must be a real fan of this formulation - he now used it already two time to decribe me) - at least imho it shows he has no honest interest in this discussion.

*[a bit nitpicking i could say, the probability is probabily as high as the probability that steam will have a major incident in the future]

@ Sterf
You purposely ignored what I was trying ...
Nope, i only used your words - nothing more and nothing less. Or did you forgot the starting point of this, what will happen if Valve goes bankrupt (will there be a patch like a Valve employee said 5 years ago in a no longer available post [so there can be no quote] - or will Valve appoint to their SSA - no guarantee of consecutive use of Steam and of games which require steam). After some pages (3 to be exact), you tried to convience everybody that Greybriar shall have asked:

Third time:
Do you think the consequences of a company's bankruptcy is something that normally is included in a EULA? Do you think it's right to see any speculation on this hypothetical scenario as truth because of it's not being written in the EULA?

already here your extented your argument to all firms - it was no longer a "Valve specific thing" - but at least it was no general claim (so hard to prove the opposite)

The_J answered
If an already bought product of the company will not work anymore when it goes bancrupt, then i would expect something like that.
That you don't, makes you naive.

He never talked about steam in particular, where did you saw this? Or started the general confusion already here, because you again added content to another poster post?

Your already famous answer - nothing written about steam. Really i tried hard, but i´m still unable to find the words steam or Valve supporting your claim towards me. But also now you made an absolut claim in the case, something which can be proven wrong.

in the event of a merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy, or other similar event involving all or a portion of the Company, the Company's customer information may be transferred to our successor or assign.
source: privacy policy take2

My answer to your absolut claim - let the pack decide who made the mistake.

btw:
still waiting:

Looking both ways doesn't remove the possibility of getting hit by a car. Your logic states that any possibility, no matter how tiny, should be seen as a major problem. Why so inconsistent?
Why so consistently misdirective? Your erroneous extrapolations miss the mark by such a degree, that it seems apparent to me that you make no attempt to stay on target, but rather you toss up strawmen in an attempt to distract. But playing along... Looking both ways before I cross the street is a damn sight safer bet than closing my eyes to follow the direction of some fanatically mad curbside prophet.

Oh, and I'm here attempting to get people to shut up with their hysterical and disproportional whinging about steam. Since you're not going to buy the game apparently, what on earth are you doing here? Ctrl+W if you would be so kind.
I'll Ctrl+W my way outta here soon after you Ctrl+G yourself back to the steam from whence you spawned.

So we know your intention. But what pray tell is your motivation? What drives you to this passion that at anytime of day I can check in and find you here? What drives you to make these hundreds of attack posts? Why are you even here? Do you even have more than a passing interest in the game? Why'd you join this community? Why do you attack its members for their opinions? What the hell is up with you anyway???

Tell me, do you always plan for every single possible eventuality? You must never leave the house.
Yeah I'd say that as I've grown older I've placed a higher import on planning ahead and attempting to steer clear of avoidable pitfalls.
But I've always been bent a bit that way. I'm cool with taking extra steps up front, to avoid slow downs along the long run.

I shouldn't address your never leaving the house OT, but since it relates...

After a couple years in college and a spurt of triple overtime work, a friend and I took a 2 week break to see how the world looked like from atop the highest mountain in the lower 48. Upon our return, as we entered the haze of North Los Angeles, we impulsively decided that life was better out there, than in here. And that contained within our packs was all that we would need. Brian being a bit more reckless and free in his decision tree, wanted to turn around right then and there. Me I wanted to return to make my farewells, give a few weeks notice to my employer, rack up some more cash, and upgrade a few precious items of gear.

After a couple years of travel and incredible adventure, Brain was ready to settle down. I wasn't. So I took off afoot and alone and traveled for another 7 years or so. The lions share of my travels was spent living outdoors. It was the wild places I wanted to be. I carried my belongings and lived simple. No cushion to fall back on in times of illness, accident, or misfortune. In all that time I rarely knew what would happen next. Decisions were made as opportunity and desire availed itself. Didn't know where I'd be from season to season, and sometimes from mile to mile. Might be headed south for the winter, just to turn around and head back into the cold. I was free and nobody, not even I, dictated predetermined rules for my existence.

Yet in that carefree life of throwing my fate to the wind; I took great care of my gear and applied a disciplined attention to detail to everything I did. I found myself in a variety of extreme situations well beyond my control. I did what I could do to lessen my odds of misfortune, and trucked on. My cautious and calculating ways slowed me Not One Wit! They did however keep me alive of that I am sure!

Point is, I planned for every single possible eventuality that I could,
and I left the house in a way I don't believe you can fully understand.

Just jumping in to say I'm sober now (anyone I offended, I didn't mean it and I still love you all) and still don't know what you all are so victorious about. All I see are dodged questions and trying to obfuscate arguments by semantics, sorry. Guess someone found some clausule about a possible takeover that hasn't anything to do with bankruptcy, somehow thought it annihilated any point I was making and called it a day. Great for you, I guess. *clap clap*
As for the above OT section, that's great and I mean it. Doesn't it seem kind of stupid in view of that to argue the distribution method of a damn game? I know I do feel dumber with every post I make on it. So pointless.

Originally Posted by Chalks
Oh, and I'm here attempting to get people to shut up with their hysterical and disproportional whinging about steam. Since you're not going to buy the game apparently, what on earth are you doing here? Ctrl+W if you would be so kind.

White Elk said:
Why do you attack its members for their opinions? What the hell is up with you anyway???

Chalks wants bad things to happen to people, so he urges them to get Steam. When anyone gives a valid point, Chalks uses the only thing he knows how, and viciously assaults and attacks them un-relentlessly hoping he will drive them from CFC forever.

I almost look forward to seeing what foolishness is posted, because it actually gives me a good laugh now. But I do respect Freedom of Speech (unlike a purple squid that hates Freedom of Speech, and the purple squid said it himself) for all, so I hope to continue to hear both sides.

Top Bottom