How Much Have You Changed Since You Joined?

just don't believe everything you read here. No offense, but I have a feeling some posters have never set foot outside a classroom. I'm not saying everyone is that way, just some. It takes real world experience to know how the world works, not a classroom setting. I learn more from the junkie on a street corner, than I learn from some liberal English teacher.
:confused: You want to take lessons in life from a homeless drug addict? :crazyeye:

haha, I knew that would rile some people up. What I mean is not to follow their advice (although that would be hilarious), what I mean by learn is learning about human nature.

What you will learn is people are dumb and self destructive, and are not worthy of your tax dollars. People are poor either because they want to be, and/or they are too dumb to manage their money and their birth control methods.

But it's up to you if you want to reward stupidity and ignorance.

haha, I knew that would rile some people up. What I mean is not to follow their advice (although that would be hilarious), what I mean by learn is learning about human nature.

What you will learn is people are dumb and self destructive, and are not worthy of your tax dollars. People are poor either because they want to be, and/or they are too dumb to manage their money and their birth control methods.

But it's up to you if you want to reward stupidity and ignorance.
That makes even less sense :crazyeye:

You learn from seeing one single homeless drug addict that all of humanity, including the teacher you used as contrast, is dumb and self-desctructive? :confused: You see a black sheep and conclude that all sheep -- including the ones you know are white -- are black?

That makes even less sense :crazyeye:

You learn from seeing one single homeless drug addict that all of humanity, including the teacher you used as contrast, is dumb and self-desctructive? :confused: You see a black sheep and conclude that all sheep -- including the ones you know are white -- are black?

It makes sense - he is not saying the homeless person has knowledge or wisdom. He may be saying that this homeless person shows how some people really are - and that his English teacher doesn't know it.

no, obviously just meeting one person would be too narrow of focus. You can't judge people based on one person alone.

It's hard to describe. I grew up poor, and have been amongst poor people throughout most of my childhood, and I see how they are. I couldn't wait to turn 18 and get out of that. And I am proof you don't have to be poor if you don't want to be. You just have to make smart choices in life.

an interesting place to hang out and people watch is near any weekly rental place. Specifically the local convenience store near said weekly rental place. It's actually kind of interesting. I really suggest everyone do that.

Ayn Rand said:
It makes sense - he is not saying the homeless person has knowledge or wisdom. He may be saying that this homeless person shows how some people really are - and that his English teacher doesn't know it.
You don't need to grow up in a craphole to know that homeless drug addicts are not model citizens. If his point was that some people are homeless drug addicts, and that these people are bad people, then I wonder why he needed to waste years of his life living in crapholes to find this out.

no, obviously just meeting one person would be too narrow of focus. You can't judge people based on one person alone.

It's hard to describe. I grew up poor, and have been amongst poor people throughout most of my childhood, and I see how they are. I couldn't wait to turn 18 and get out of that. And I am proof you don't have to be poor if you don't want to be. You just have to make smart choices in life.

an interesting place to hang out and people watch is near any weekly rental place. Specifically the local convenience store near said weekly rental place. It's actually kind of interesting. I really suggest everyone do that.
So the drug-infested craphole you grew up in is the real world, whereas the leafy suburbs that millions of other people grew up in is what, the not-real world? :confused:

You don't need to grow up in a craphole to know that homeless drug addicts are not model citizens. If his point was that some people are homeless drug addicts, and that these people are bad people, then I wonder why he needed to waste years of his life living in crapholes to find this out.

Because he listened to his liberal English teacher :lol:

:confused: You want to take lessons in life from a homeless drug addict? :crazyeye:

well, what you can learn form a druggie hobo is how to deal with druggie hobos. if you regularly deal with druggie hobos that's quite valuable, if you dont it's rather useless knowledge.

i dont know how to build a bow and hunt, but i dont need to either. that doesnt mean an urban environment is any less the real world than the amazonas jungle. or the other way round.

I didnt notice this thred when I made my other one, Oops.

I think Ive become a lot more left leneing although it could be just from growing up... Ive also become a lot more geeky.

People are poor either because they want to be, and/or they are too dumb to manage their money and their birth control methods.

I dont want to be poor and I dunt think Im too dumb to manage money (tho Im dumb in general) and I dont evin need birth control*. So hows this apply to me.:confused:

I went to go to community college but it costs too much because Im poor. If I dont go to college theres not so many good jobs avelable and the ones thare are availeble are low pay. When you get low pay your poor. Its a bad circle.

*Least not till I build my time travel machine and go back and meet a younger Tom Petty... this reminds me of a funny storie. I was chatting to a (now ex-) friend who was going to a Petty concert and she said "Im going to go on the pill before going to the concert" and before she could explain that she didnt want to be on her period I got the really wrong impressin!

Well I was 24 when I joined I think. That was my first year of law school. Lots has happened since then but socially and politically I'm pretty much the same.

In posting I've cared less about writing longer posts or citing links or whatever. I've learned that is largely futile.

Then again I'm an old fart compared to some of you when it comes to message boards. I was BBS'ing and arguing on Compuserve and Prodigy forums about God and Marijuana when you all were in diapers. Get off my lawn!

Ahh… Good ole BBSs and Prodigy! Those were the days!

I was 29 when I joined, so my world view was pretty much solidified back then. Nothing much has changed since. RL has had a few changes though – I now have a graduate degree and am a father three times over…

Unfortunately I think the metamorphosis from kid/adolescent/young adult to, well, plain old adult is complete.

EDIT: Remember when a 2400 Bps modem was smokin fast? :lol:

I dont want to be poor and I dunt think Im too dumb to manage money (tho Im dumb in general) and I dont evin need birth control*. So hows this apply to me.:confused:

I went to go to community college but it costs too much because Im poor. If I dont go to college theres not so many good jobs avelable and the ones thare are availeble are low pay. When you get low pay your poor. Its a bad circle.

*Least not till I build my time travel machine and go back and meet a younger Tom Petty... this reminds me of a funny storie. I was chatting to a (now ex-) friend who was going to a Petty concert and she said "Im going to go on the pill before going to the concert" and before she could explain that she didnt want to be on her period I got the really wrong impressin!

I'm not going to get into it very much as I'm straying off topic. I apoligize. There needs to be another thread for this.

Wealth is not created by just working. It's created by investment. working hard without investing will get you a whole lot of nothing.

Yeah... we ended up getting a second phone line just for the modem!

Top Bottom