Gingrich wants to Subpoena and Arrest Judges that don't follow his Agenda.

Yeah, the rock, paper, scissor concept is nonsense. A passed law already has the approval of the legislature and executive. Is Newt asking the Supremes to not review the health care law?

Where do states and we the people fall in here? Did Newt forget some stakeholders?

Is Newt asking the Supremes to not review the health care law?
Obviously not. He is asking for the ability to compel them to make decisions he agrees with (i.e. strike down the healthcare law), "activism" equates to "disagreeing with Newt (or the people he is currently trying to gain favour with)".

An article referred to this as Newt's "Rock Paper Scissors" approach to the separation of powers... that made me chuckle. The article also pointed out, perhaps rightly, that this was a last ditch desperation move to appease the Christian ultra conservative wing of the GOP base, which is where most of the extremist ideas about the Judicial Branch come from.

Apparently no one ever told him the rock paper scissors effect is already a designed in part of the system.

He never was interested in playing fair. That's for other people. Newt gets special treatment or he throws a billion dollar tantrum. With other people's money.

If we characterized every politician that thought of individuals as "resources" to be "mobilized for the collective good" as Nazis, then we may as well hang a big swastika banner over the Congress.
It's actually the "war on liberalism" that got my attention. The "resources" and "mobilisation" only factor into the comparison as far as they are means to that end.

Newt lost any grain of support I might have had for him. I now prefer Mitt Romney over all the others. That's just plain sad.

Can we declare a war on war metaphors?
Edit: Wait, totally misunderstood. Dummpkopf. :cringe:

But, anyway, yeah, I'm not so sure that this can be written off as just a macho metaphor. The fact that he's taken it to this sort of length suggests that there is some genuine notion of idealogical struggle at work.

At what point do comparisons to Hitler become acceptable, exactly? :hmm:

Well after this. Newt is an extremely partisan socially repressive reactionary; back in the 30's he might even qualify as a fascist (if I may attempt to use the word without Nazi connotations), but he's not Hitler.

Yeah, Newt's has much too much foot-in-mouth disease to ever have that kind of a following.

Well, we have our pick of local wannabes, so there's no need to get too picky. (A Mosley, perhaps? Or would the gentleman prefer a Pelley? Perhaps a charming vintage Szálasi?) The point is really just that this logic of "war on liberalism" "by any means necessary" is a bit, well, fascist-y. And not just in a rhetorical sense, in an actual "I think I heard Goebbels use that phrase once" sense.

Of course, it's probably all bluster, so I wouldn't expend too much energy on the "Gingrich is wannabe-Hitler" thesis. What concerns me is the number of people who seem to buy into this logic.

At what point do comparisons to Hitler become acceptable, exactly? :hmm:

I think making comparisons to past leaders are only valid when they are true. Generally, people view the Hitler comparison just as a weak personal attack against an opposition leader. Such comparisons were made about George W. Bush, but that did nothing but fire up his base even more.

Well, we have our pick of local wannabes, so there's no need to get too picky. (A Mosley, perhaps? Or would the gentleman prefer a Pelley? Perhaps a charming vintage Szálasi?) The point is really just that this logic of "war on liberalism" "by any means necessary" is a bit, well, fascist-y. And not just in a rhetorical sense, in an actual "I think I heard Goebbels use that phrase once" sense.

Of course, it's probably all bluster, so I wouldn't expend too much energy on the "Gingrich is wannabe-Hitler" thesis. What concerns me is the number of people who seem to buy into this logic.

The thing is, Newt is a sideshow in the War on Liberalism. It was going on long before Newt held high office. And he was only briefly a major player in the war. The work to move the entire political spectrum of the US has been an ongoing, and extremely successful, process since at least the early 70s.

Top Bottom